Boredom/New computer

• Mr. Wiggles
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Loc: Brizzle

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I got bored and dug out an old Pentium 3 / 64mb RAM pc from my room and completely dismantled it. Every component is seperate, even the CPU fan is off. I've arranged them neatly and packed them away and I plan to use the box, which has a power supply and very neatly done wiring, the cd-rom, cable modem device and the floppy from this computer.
Sooner or later I will get round to buying a new motherboard, processor and hard drive and I need suggestions for these.
I want a decent motherboard that supports the newest RAM speeds and graphics cards but I need something not overly expensive. I also need a good processor that will last me a long time, and a medium-sized(100 gig) hard-drive.
I will be using RAM and a graphics card from my current PC which is going to be upgraded very soon.

Any suggestions on good mobo/processor combo.
Also, will a new mobo fir in the case? This PC is from '99 and the case is quite small.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Are you looking for an AMD ot Intel CPU and what is your budget for these two components ?
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr. Wiggles

Post 3+ Months Ago

I was thinking an AMd processor because theyre supposed to be faster, maybe a 64 bit processor, seeing as it would be better to use newer technology, and Windows XP 64-bit edition is free for a whole goddamn year!
I was thinking a budget of about £150 for those two components, which is pretty good. I can get a hard-drive for about £35 i've figured. Memory is so cheap nowadays!
I looked at ebuyer for ages yesterday and saw a few motherboard/AMD 64-bit processor cobos for about £130 which is cool.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would say a Abit AV8 3rd Eye motherboard, they overclock so well and a athlon 64 3500+ 130nm, the reason i dont say the new 90nm cpu's is becouse there a bitch to get to work with the abit AV8 as i have found out (my motherboard is currently somewhere in the post waiting for a new bios.... :( ) other than that they will take you through games and aplications for the next year or two. you could wait a while and go for the abit AX8 which is the latest pci x A64 mobo....??

*plum*
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr. Wiggles

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did ypou notice the budget there?
Nice suggestions, but at over £300 both of them, you've doubled the price!
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

You have two choices with the 64, Socket 754 or 939.
Socket 939 is supposed to have more upgrade options but is abviously more expensive. I found a a mobo and CPU but it was just outside your budget. Here are the details though just incase your interested :

Mobo : http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/compone ... klinx=3834
(Couldn't find a 939 with SATA)

CPU : http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=79190

Had to go with stock parts due to the price.

As for 754 ...

CPU : http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=59129

Mobo : http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=54267

Again, thats slightly over your budget, but not my much.

Hope thats of some use.
  • Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

150 Pounds for the Motherboard and CPU isn't much.. specially if you want a Athlon 64..

also you have to think about the Power Supply.. you reusing a "old" PSU from a Pentium III? How many watts is it? What brand?

Your best bet is to take the leap and get a good motherboard, perferrably a Socket 939 Athlon 64 motherboard.. and then getting a Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 939 CPU, they are making them in Socket 939 not just Socket 754 anymore) , that'll probably put you over the 150 pounds mark.. but least the socket 939 motherboard will leave you with headroom to upgrade further down the line.. the Socket 754 won't continue for much longer, and is pretty much dead, since they are now producing 3000+, 3200 and 3400+ in Socket 939.. with the Socket 939 you can upgrade from the 3000+ to currently the 4000+ or FX-55 (which is expensive) Get a 512MB stick of PC3200 RAM and then when you shave up get a 2nd stick and you'll have Dual Channel memeory working.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Socket 754 won't continue for much longer, and is pretty much dead

I wouldn't go that far. Yes they have socket 939 now but they aren't going to stop producing 754's just because they have the 939. Look at AMD's xp chip, how old is that now ? Its been surpassed by the 64 but they haven't suddenly stopped making it, they just dropped the price. Just my personal opinion though and your entitled to yours.
  • Mr. Wiggles
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Mr. Wiggles

Post 3+ Months Ago

If somehow I manage to get get £200+ by the time I want to make it, then I'll consider getting a socket 939. Just because if I shell out alot of money for it, then I'm not expecting to upgrade it for a few years.
Incidentally I put the old computer back together and is now set up nicely. I've also got a Windows 98 CD being compiled right now, hopefully the old system's boot time will lower from the current 7 minute one.
I'll be using the old power supply, which is 250w i think.
I may be getting a new case, because I'd like a good, pretty small case with space for a couple of fans at least. Any ideas on that? It's got to be available in the UK and cheap, ;)
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=51366
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

I quite like the look of this one, and its cheap too, yet, spacious.

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=72994
  • Hellsbellboy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Minnesota

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigma wrote:
Quote:
Socket 754 won't continue for much longer, and is pretty much dead

I wouldn't go that far. Yes they have socket 939 now but they aren't going to stop producing 754's just because they have the 939. Look at AMD's xp chip, how old is that now ? Its been surpassed by the 64 but they haven't suddenly stopped making it, they just dropped the price. Just my personal opinion though and your entitled to yours.

why would you pay the same amount of money for a Socket 754 motherboard and CPU when you can get a Socket 939 for the same price? and that will be continued alot longer then the Socket 754? Socket 754 is last years model. That's silly and your reasoning maks no sense. Yes the reduced the price of the Althon XP's so what? it's old hardware.. And you can't compare a Althon XP to a Althon 64 in Performance or upgradability. If that's your rational then you might as well suggest he buy a Celeron.. their cheap..
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
And you can't compare a Althon XP to a Althon 64.

Nowhere in my comment did I compare a XP to a 64s performance or upgradability.

Quote:
Yes the reduced the price of the Althon XP's so what? it's old hardware

Thats my point exactly, just because something is "old" hardware, doesn't automaticaly make it "Dead", they just reduce the cost.

Anyway, I don't want to argue. Don't come here to argue over the little things, you have your view, I have mine. Lets leave it there.

Regards,

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts