Brands that do not really match

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure if this is true. I have written a question in the "Windows" section that my PC failed to enter the operating systems and I thought it was the "Vista" fault. I have my PC returned first, and I found out it was exactly the same as before I sent it for repair. My father helped to send it to the HP service center. The second time, I went there and it worked there. The engineer(that is how they are called) said maybe it was because after shaking a bit in my car it works again.

After learning that it is easy to open up the PC without needing a screwdriver, he showed me that it "could" be that the "Kingston" ram does not match with HP systems. I have it upgraded to 2 gigs of ram first I purchased. The original was 1 gig of ram.(I am not sure about the brand). But he had not changed anything before he opened up and showed me how to remove and re-install(put it back into the slot), the "Kingston" ram. So it really could be some shakes will do. Anyway, all my data have not been lost and I need not re-install my Vista.

If that error message is going to turn up again when I turn on my PC again, I will open up and check that "Kingston" ram. For you who have not read the topic, the error message is something like this:

Quote:
BIOS ROM CheckSum error

Detecting IDE ATAPI device...

Okay, I can not confirm if that was the real cause to that problem. The engineer could be wrong. He could be right also. I think it was mere assumption.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

could easilly have been a loose connection - seems like your hdd or optical drive to me though (ide). Though a checksum problem could be that your ram voltages were too low so they were returning corrupt data before the system began to boot fully and settings changed it from the default at the post screen. And it was just luck that meant it could boot elsewhere (ie, it didnt fail the checksum).
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

You reminded me of Kurt Cobain. :) who was born in Aberdeen. You are living in Aberdeen? that is awesome. :)

I guess you are right, bozebo, after that post I made, it occurred again once. I took the casing off, slowly I took off the 'Kingston' RAM and put back to the slot. When I restarted my computer again, an initial screen RAM setup was displayed a while and after that screen, it went back to normal.

:)

Thank you
  • Bozebo
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: 404

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
You reminded me of Kurt Cobain. :) who was born in Aberdeen. You are living in Aberdeen? that is awesome. :)

live south of aberdeen -> dundee. studying game development at uni ^_^
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am studying Information systems at university. :)

// I am sorry Bozebo, late reply from me.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts