Bridging two wireless networks

• theont7
  • Born
  • Born
  • theont7

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, this is a little complicated. My neighbor has a wireless router. I can get the signal at my apartment, but what I want to do is setup a network of my computers in his network.

I want to use his internet but have another wireless network of my own running off of his
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

jus out of intrest does he know your doin this.they can see your using the network. all you do is set up your network then on the server you right click the router (in network connections) and click bridge connections i think ( in win xp). never done it but i know it can be done . ory you could connect all you computers to the router. hope this helps. does any one know if using some ones internet on a network with out them knowing illegal. i imagine its obtaining services by deception.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is a lot of debate about that.

It could be viewed as illegal because you are stealing their bandwith without their permission. Like you snuck up to his window and ran a piece of CAT5 from his router to yours.

On the other hand, it can be viewed like a radio station. If he is broadcasting it, he is basically offering it to you to pick up.

Personally, If your neighbor doesn't have enough sense to at least set up WEP encryption, he deserves his bandwith to be stolen,
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

lucassix wrote:
Personally, If your neighbor doesn't have enough sense to at least set up WEP encryption, he deserves his bandwith to be stolen,

:D hope your not my neighbor, I do fun things when I find them on my network (I have a WN for tenats which has WEP disabled, so I just monitor it instead)
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your house in Canada can broadcast into lower Texas, I suggest investing in cancer research. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts