My broadband signal not getting thru phone extension cable

• cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
I have my PC set up in a part of the building, 100 feet away from the telephone connection socket. I use a 100 foot long telephone extension cable for the phone beside my PC and for the dial up modem. It seems to work fine like that.

I have, however, just signed up for broadband and had the phoneline activated for the ADSL connection. I now find that if I lug my pc to the primary phone connection box and attach the ADSL modem to that, I can access my broadband connection with no problem. However, when the PC is in its usual place and the modem connected to the end of the 100 foot extension from that phone connection box, the broadband signal does not get through and I can't connect to it.

I don't have the option of moving the PC to any nearer where the phone connection box is, I have to use it with the ridiculously long extension. I now have myself locked into a 12 month broadband contract for a connection I cannot access and, in a few days, this dial up connection comes to an end so I will not have any internet access at all, which is a major disaster.

I doubt many folk have such a long extension cable so I rather doubt there is a tried and tested solution to this but if anyone knows one, PLEASE let me know.

Thanks

C O
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only thing I would suggest is having a phone jack installed near your PC. A 100 foot phone cord is a bit rediculous.
  • jnacool
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you got an ADSL filter on both ends of the telephone cable? as well as all the other phone sockets in the house? If not try that as it is usually a good way of solving ADSL problems.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi.
Thanks for replies.
yep, I tried having a filter at each end of the cord but it didn't help.
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could just leave the dsl modem right next to the jack, and use a 802.11b router to send the signal over to your workstation. This setup has come down in price a lot recently.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi,
thanks for replies.

I looked into routers. Finding it hard to find one that I can plug a USB modem into but I can just get a router/modem instead if I have to

A possible solution has been proposed and a few seem to think it will work...
I get a 100 foot long ethernet cable with rj11 plugs on the end, plug the ethernet cable into the filter at the primary phone connection box with the other end plugged into my modem at the far end of the 100ft cable, by my PC.
It is thought that the twisted wires of the ethernet cable will allow the signal through. This cable will cost me about £30, the shop tells me.

If that doesn't work, I can then have the rj11 plugs removed and replaced with rj45 ones, then can get an ADSL modem/router and put it right at the phone connection box with the long ethernet cable to connect to a network card I have in my PC, so the cable won't go to waste if the first solution doesn't work. (I can't just connect the USB modem directly to the phone connection box, as I can't lead the USB cable 100 ft to the PC, so, if I must, I'll discard the USB broadband modem)

In case you wonder why I have a USB broadband modem, it came free with the ISP broadband package.

The cable won't be in stock until next week so I'll have to be patient I want my broadband NOW!!! It's there, in the phoneline now, taunting me, out of reach!

I'll let you know if that works when I try it.
  • cerio
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yay!!!

now got 160ft of ethernet cable with rj11 plugs on ends, leading from phone connection box in one building all the way down to building with my PC and usb broadband modem and it works!!

Phew

C

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts