It broke...my poor baby!

• webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Greetings all,

I have two computers and my good one died, so now I'm using the old 400mhz turtle.

Broken computer: 1.4ghz AMD Athlon "PC ELITE" 512mb ram

Problem: Sometimes the computer will load and under WIN2k it will work for awhile and then FREEZE. No blue screen. Nothing.

I installed WINXP and it will FREEZE much quicker than 2k. Sometimes the computer will reboot itself.

Solution: I ran an anti-virus and found a trojan. Deleted it. Reinstalled operating systems and they worked for awhile and then the computer would FREEZE again. I checked power supply. It's fine. I changed ram. That seems okay. I changed harddrives. That's fine.

I'm at a loss and I want my computer back. Any ideas BESIDES taking it into CompUSA to have them look at it?

Any help is appreciated.
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

did you check for the trojan again ?

could be that you just received it again, ... since you already had one
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

it could be it's getting too hot check the bios and see what temp it running at. it should be between 45c-50c other then that it would have to be the mobo
  • webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, there is no trojan this time.

I read another forum and perhaps it is my PCU. What is the best way to clean a PC? I tried compresses air, but that doesn't get ALL of the dust off.

I did install a temperature monitor program. It's about 60c +

I have the sides off the case and even if I point a BIG external fan at it... it still will freeze after awhile.

mobo = motherboard? That's not good.
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

webinv wrote:
Yea, there is no trojan this time.

I read another forum and perhaps it is my PCU. What is the best way to clean a PC? I tried compresses air, but that doesn't get ALL of the dust off.

I did install a temperature monitor program. It's about 60c +

I have the sides off the case and even if I point a BIG external fan at it... it still will freeze after awhile.

mobo = motherboard? That's not good.

60c is really hot. my 1.4ghz athlon stays at 45c on stock cooling. but you ruled that out so it's got to be the motherboard. it can't be your cpu (that's what you meant by pcu right?). funny thing is i just fixed a customers pc that was doing the exact same thing. and i had to replace the motherboard.

you can get a used or new mobo of ebay for $40 shipped. that's not bad to get it working again
  • webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you. Maybe I'll save up my pennies and just get a new computer for $200 from uBID. It probably is the mobo.
  • Jazzy
  • Student
  • Student
  • Jazzy
  • Loc: Brussels

Post 3+ Months Ago

just buy a new cooler perhaps ? you can get off cheeper

i have a 1800 amd OC to a 3200 and it just stays iunder 45C with a decent colling fan. Running already 2 months OC

btw 60 is really high, i think AMD limit is 65-70 then they burn :/
  • webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, I think my poor baby burned up. Thanks for the advice.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Before buying yourself a new CPU have you tried resting your BIOS?

I had been fiddling with my BIOS last night and managed to mess up my PC in that it wouldnt turn on or if it did it froze.

Remove your CMOS battery for about an hour just to make sure, or if you have a DIP switch, flick that off and on. That will reset your BIOS back to its factory settings. You will need to enter your BIOS before and reset the time and date before rebooting and being happy.
  • webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, I even tried removing the battery. I put it back in and it said that the battery was low, SO I bought two new ones. Tried both and it still said the battery was low. In windows 2k it would work for awhile though some days. Other days it would freeze up still. I don't think the battery is loose either.
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

are all the cards properly inserted, no loose connections, proper power supply output the needs of comp?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you installed any new programs recently? If so have you tried a system restore?

What were you doing when the problem first occured?
  • webinv
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • webinv

Post 3+ Months Ago

No, it has nothing to do with the programs I've installed, because I've reformatted numerous times and it doesn't matter.

Recently, it will start to boot up and then simply restart itself before Windows even loads. I'm thinking, and hoping, I don't have a CMOS virus.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

have you tried updating your bios from your motherboard manufacturers website? this may help or ..... not

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts