broken hard drive?

• houndour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • houndour
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys,

I normally post on the programming section of this forum. My home computer crashed Sunday night and I've been trying to fix it...but to be honest I'm useless with computers when it comes to stuff like this. Here's the situation:

Sunday night, computer has been on for a few hours, I return to it, double click on an email to open, nothing happens. I get the "not responding" message in the title bar.

I tried to ctrl alt del to try and cancel the process. Nothing happened.

Tried to switch of computer. Nothing happened.

Pressed reset button. Computer resets. Starts up...only it says I do not have a hard drive.

It asks for me to boot by floppy or cd.

I tried f8 but didnt get any safe mode options. Just got asked to boot by floppy or cd.

tried delete (setup menu) but didn't really know what I was looking at. It said that my primary and secondary hard drives were unknown or unidentified (can't remember which).

People at work suggested a loose connection, so last night I opened it up, played around with cables, restarted....same thing. asking to boot from floppy or cd.

So now I put XP disc in. Tried reinstalling windows. First time it crashed during "deleting files" after 29% of the way through.

2nd time we tried reformatting the hard drive completely...got a message saying it could not reformat hard drive. I think the message mentioned it prob being corrupt.

I'm not to bothered about recovering data from hard drive...didn't have much on there, have favourite photos saved on photobucket and other than that don't do a lot on it except email and internet.

Should I buy a new hard drive? Is this one just broken? Do they just break like that? I got the computer in Sep 2002.

Thanks,
Sam
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Kap-Vu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Indianapolis, IN

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah to me it sounds like your hard drive could be damage. Something similiar like that has happen to me and i just replaced it with a hard drive and it worked fine.

If you could i would borrow a hard drive from a friend or from another computer and switch it out to see if your computer will load or not.

Other than that...i could be wrong so don't take my word for it.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

that's exactly what it is unfortunately, your hard drive most likely fried or brokded :(
  • houndour
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • houndour
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks guys.

I will get a new hard drive. Had a look on ebuyer and it's a bit daunting. Anybody got any tips on where to start? Do I need to look for anything in particular on my existing hdd to make sure the new one fits?

Sam
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

You pretty much need to figure out what interface it is (probably either IDE or SATA) and then what capacity you want. If you are going to replace it, you might as well go bigger.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

^^what he said^^

ide is the older standard so youre most likely going to be buying one of those. and as well as what lucassix said, bigger would be better, unless you plan on buying a new computer in the very new future in which case you will most likely go for sata.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts