Budget Hotspot

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

A buddy of mine owns a nice restaurant in north jersey and he got a new laptop with built in WiFi and so he decided to get a DSL line and also offer a WiFi hotspot for patrons.

I told him I would do the entire thing for free (because I'll get free lunch forever) but some of the good stuff D-Link offers is $500 a pop.

I want to seperate the users from the guests and maybe even make the guests have a simple WPA passkey to get on.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I found a few linux distros for the exclusive purpose of making a wifi hotspot.

http://sourceforge.net/search/ and search for "wifi billing"
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That will definately work if in the future they chose to charge for the use. Right now its going to be free. This is more of "can anyone make any sense of the hardware" because the hardware descriptions are very vague and its hard to see what you can and cannot do. I'd rather ask here than ask DLink tech support for two reasons. 1.) Here my question would get answered swiftly 2.) I'm sure someone on here had wanted or did set something similar up and they can share their experience.

From my own research I see the DLink DWL-2210AP but I'm not sure if I need a seperare router or not, it's not very specific. There is also the DSA-3100 & 3200 but they are very costly. I also want it to work with 802.11 a, b & g. I would say the heck with b, but for some stupid reason the dumb PDA manufacturers only put b in the pda's.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts