build a custom laptop

• jonathaw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: newfoundland, canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi all,

i just recently came into a little money (being a student a little money is what some of you may earn in an hour) and i want to start saving for a new computer.

i currently have a dell and it has served me well. but, dollars to donuts, this site has given me better technical support than dell can any day and i'm feeling adventerous enough that i'd like to build my own machine.

i have no budget yet and nothing is set in stone but i'm loking for some info:

1. what are the good sites for computers parts purchasing? i visit ncix.com regularly and right now it's at the top of my list, mainly because its based in canada and everything being in canadian prices. are there any other good (canadian sites)?

2. is it possible to buy an generic laptop case and stuff it with goodies like so many people do with desktop cases? i haven't seen anything like this around although i may not be looking in the right places!

thanks for all the help
jonathan
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

They aren't canidian but Newegg.com, Tigerdirect.com, and zipzoomfly.com are all good for computer parts.

As far as building a custom laptop, it is not possible. For a good quality laptop I would look at Toshiba.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well building your own laptop is possable, but only to an extent.

If you want to create a laptop, you would first have to buy a shell, motherboard, and power adapter all thogether, from the same laptop (maybe find one on ebay that had some bad drives or something.) These 3 pieces are made together and pretty much can't be seperated. Next, find out what processors the board can support. Usually it is going to be a very small range of processors, but there might be room for improvement from stock as the same motherboard is likely to be used for several models in the same line. From there, you can throw just about any size/kind 2.5in hard drive in it and any laptop standard CD/DVD/CDRW/DVDRW drive in you want. You might need some rails or bays, but the drives themselves are pretty much universal.

That being said, drives, CPU and paint are about the only things you can do to a laptop to make it your own.
  • jonathaw
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: newfoundland, canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote]
...and paint are about the only things you can do to a laptop to make it your own.
[/quote]

yeah. i'm thinking of some spiffy silver racing stripes right around the outside.

thanks for the info. i was actually thinking about doing the whole wooden laptop that seems to be a minor rage now. i've seen a few pictures kicking around and i think i can do a bit better. i'll post it here if it whe i get around it.

i do have one question about this if anyone can answer it: is grounding going to be a problem with a wooden case? i mean you can't just ground to wood ... but then again i guess you wouldn't be able to ground to a plastic shell either. what's a laptop grounded to?

thanks
jonathan
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I assume the design of laptop motherboards are build with ground traces on them so they dont have to rely on a case ground.
  • alchiwai
  • Born
  • Born
  • alchiwai
  • Loc: Hong Kong

Post 3+ Months Ago

:shock: good idea
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

for good canadian sites, i only recommend http://www.tigerdirect.ca
theyre all in canadian and the best prices availible in canada. if youre willing to look at some american prices, newegg and of course ebay will do. but ebay can change the currency for you.
  • sowenjr
  • Born
  • Born
  • sowenjr

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know this is an old topic. but this needs to be said.
With the correct knowledge one can build their own laptop.

1st you must be good in one of the following.
wood working ( if you want a wooden body)
Metal working
fiberglass ( works GREAT)
plastic (also works great of course)

2nd. Most repair shops will have parts from laptops they can sell that have been left. Mainly due to the fact that something burned out and they couldn't repair it. Such as the display. so the mother board was not harmed but useless to them.

This works the same with the display. the mother board fried but screen is good. You can often times gather these parts easily and cheaply. The most important thing is of course to make sure you keep track of connector types. But this is mostly universal.

3rd. If you do get a motherboard in this manner. Make sure that you can get the battery that was with it. As the power requirements are so different from devise to devise it is not good to mix up things in this department.

Once you have your parts. Make sure you have a list of the model number for the laptop the parts came from originally so you can download the drivers.

When building the laptop case make sure to get proper insulation to coat the inside. and do not forget you have to make sure to think about cooling before designing.

Often times this can be achieved by using 40mm fans and such mounted to the sides of the unit. If you need power for these fans you can normally pull power from the existing fan on the CPU. They will normally have wife running to it. And as the 40mm fans do not use any power really it wont hurt any thing.

Now the optical drive. this is the good part. you can get any generic Disc drive for a laptop and toss it in there. just make sure once again you can get the drivers. you can normally mod the face plate to these easily.

THe main point is do not expect this to a be a smaller machines. you will need to leave extra room in for cooling. Also This does how ever allow for some customization

You can do any of the following.

Add in some quick key panels on the side of the display or the keyboard

You can add some things just so it looks cool like lighting or such.

There are tons of things you can achieve in this but you have to be smart about it and do plenty of research before committing to the job.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts