Build my own network?

• George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.
  • Loc: Malaysia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm thinking to secure my future website. Programming area, i have not issues with it. But i learned that i need some sort of own networking so outsiders cannot hack into my network which of course my website , that's going to be somewhat a prominent one..

It will not happen now, i'm just asking for any networking pro. for advice on this for Future sake.

just preparing...

Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

In other words, you plan to host your own site. Is that correct and are you sure you want to do that?

It's much easier to pay someone to host it for you. That way your network is less of a target.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Strongly agree with Don. I run apache on several boxes of my own, but I wouldn't consider using it as an actual hosting system. Much better (and cheaper in the long run) to pay a dedicated company to do this.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

George L. wrote:
that's going to be somewhat a prominent one..

This could pose as a problem since a lot of ISP's do not like their users to run webservers from the home connection, check the Terms of Service. If you plan on having a huge site that attracts a lot of attention be prepared to be shut down. This happened to me a few years ago. I put up a site that got around 50,000 unique hits a day and growing and within 48 hours my ISP blocked the port to my website. I could still browse the internet but no one could access my site.
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah, not to mention most of the time if you pay for dedicated hosting you get better bandwidth capabilities for more viewers, etc. than you would hosting your own website.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Doest that mean big website like facebook or Yahoo uses a dedicated hosting as well? They don't have their own network ?

Just curious, of course i'm far , far from that !

Thanks !
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Haha, ok, beyond a certain point, then it will become economically viable to have your hosting in house again (not to mention, Facebook, Yahoo: their biggest assets are their customer records, which they'll want to keep internal).

In all honesty though George, maybe it'll be best to cross that bridge when you come to it. :wink:
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, i get what you mean, dyefade. I come up with something like this:

1. use dedicated hosting
2. wait until my sites get really large
3. convert my db and the whole sites to my in-house network

are the steps above correct? i don't know really

i think , trying out an own hosting just for practice should be O.K , :)
at the moment...

thanks,

Thanks !.
  • dyefade
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

George, yeah, in theory.

However, unless your site is just huge... no.

Last year, I worked a while for arguably the largest media firm in the UK (if you don't count the BBC), and they didn't do their own hosting, and didn't plan to.

So long as you get a good SLA (look it up), and you'll know when you've got one as you've had to pay a fortune and get an independent lawyer in to sort it, it's so unlikely that you'll need to leave dedicated hosting.

You'll find people who disagree with this of course*, but a quick look at the hosting market should reveal that this is a fairly common scenario.

Incidentally, where is Ozzu hosted, on Unflux?

* don't use the examples of Yahoo!, Google, Facebook etc., their traffic is off the scale - it's not representitive of a typical Internet enterprise.
  • George L.
  • Bronze Member
  • Bronze Member
  • George L.

Post 3+ Months Ago

SLA , what's that really mean ?
i have an idea of what you're saying... crossing the bridge when necessary.
yeh. dedicated hosting shud be my answer for now.. for a very long time, i think.

Thanks dyefade.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts