Building A computer

• Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im about due for a new computer...but i dont have a lot of money to spend, and i have heard that bilding a computer is one way to spend less many and get a good computer....but i dont really know where to start, or whats good or not....i guess i could reuse some parts from my current PC like RAM and video cards and such....but other than that im lost....any one care to help me :D
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ShEDeViL
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much do you want to spend? What will you be using the computer for?
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

i wanna use it for gaming, watching videos, using the internet
i don't know how much moeny i wanna spend $1,000-3,000?
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

I figured i would need a motherboard...and i think i found a decnet one here
http://motherboards.bizrate.com/marketp ... 53024.html
and a case
http://www.xoxide.com/5in1combo1.html
But what else do i need?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Because its for games you should based the PC beget around a Geforce 6800 series of cards for the AGP slot. The 6800 based cards have a larger feature set than any current Radeon and better AA quality. Radeon 9800 pro can be used as you say your on a budget.

I recommend a big 19” CRT Flat screen if you have the desk for it. TFT's are better for movies but CRT is better for designers and IMO Gamers.

Because you’re a gamer the AMD 64 processors arepreferred but an Intel Solution is ok. AMD's requires a defferent motherboard like nforce 3 chipset. If your on a budget an AMD Barton 2800+ can be recommended with a nforce 2 motherboard. Barton chips have more cache than Sepron.

You will also need:
CD/DVD rewriter combo
2 sticks of ram (these need to matched to the type on your motherboard and AMD's need 2 chips to run in Dual channel mode for a tiny boost)
2 Hard Disks with 8MB cache (when installing do it as non compressed drives and place all your important files and downloads on a separate Hard drive. Serial ATA HD's can be used if the motherboard supports it for jumper less install)
Windows XP OEM (OEM can be purchased with a hardware component)

Before placing your order check with us so you don’t make any mistakes and make your budget clear.

p.s I would have gon for 5.1 speakers for movies and first person shooters.

summery:
BUDGET GAMER: Radion 9800pro AMD Barton 2800, Abit Guru AN7 Motherboard 2 sticks of 256MB

VALUE FOR MONEY: Geforce 6800 with AMD 64, 2 stiks of 512MB

EXTREAM: Geforce 6800 GT, AMD 64 FX (see http://www.ozzu.com/hardware/what-motherboard-get-with-amd64-t32343.html ) 2 stiks of 512MB
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications ... =A458-2101

Hows that motherboard.... its AMD 64....i think :lol:
Question:Are AMD measured in GHz...because i dont see any of that there

Question 2: I have a randeon 9600 video card and 1gig of DDR ram along with 2 hardrives....that stuffs all cool to reuse rite??
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

1) I believe that an AMD 2600+ (actual ~2.16GHz) is designed to keep up with a Pentium 4 2.6 GHz.

2) What are the exact types of each of these parts? ie - model #, size, speed
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

is there anyway to get that from my comp....cuz i dont feel like digging out the boxes :oops:
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are four different models of a Radeon 9600 video card: 9600, se, pro, and xt. Try looking in display settings, advanced button.

How do you know that you have DDR ram? In system properties, general tab, it says 1GB?

As for the hard drives, right click each drive in windows explorer and go to the hardware tab. Then search google for the model number it gives you, and you will find the specs for each drive.

Basically, if these components work in your current computer they will be fine in your new one. You just have to decide which components you can afford to replace and which parts need replacing the most. I can tell you that a GB of memory is going to be fine. If you have a Radeon 9600 XT then you probably won't need a new video card either.
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have a
radeon 9600 series AGP, 128mb

Quote:
How do you know that you have DDR ram? In system properties, general tab, it says 1GB?

I remeber from when i bought the RAM that i needed DDR, and yeah it is 1gb...2 256 sticks
I know both my drives are Western Digital, and one of them is 80GB with 8mb cache and 7200RPM.....but im not sure about the one that came installed on my comp, all i know is that it is 40GB
  • EvoWeb
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • EvoWeb

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bobbo171 wrote:
i have a

Quote:

I remeber from when i bought the RAM that i needed DDR, and yeah it is 1gb...2 256 sticks
I know both my drives are Western Digital, and one of them is 80GB with 8mb cache and 7200RPM.....but im not sure about the one that came installed on my comp, all i know is that it is 40GB

2 sticks of ram at 256 = 512mb of ram not 1gb....
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

This will tell ya .CPU-Z < tiny little utility 259kb
http://www.cpuid.com/cpuz.php
  • IH8Purple
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Somewhere on Google Earth

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah, try to only buy what you have to.

if you already have a computer your not going to need speakers, monitor, keyboard, mouse, possibly mobo

these things are reusable in your new computer, but you may want to conisder upgradeing them, or getting more:
Hard drives
Ram
removable media drives
fan
power supply
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

EvoWeb wrote:
Bobbo171 wrote:
i have a

Quote:

2 sticks of ram at 256 = 512mb of ram not 1gb....

My bad...the concept of adding escaped me for a second there...i have 2 512 sticks :lol:
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey heres a quick question for yous guys. If there any danger in formatting my harddrives before i put them in my new comp, then reinstalling windows on one of them once its all built, because my dad said that he thinks it too risky to do that, but i figure if im building a new comp, i may as well start off clean.
Also if i post up a list of parts i wanna buy, can you people tell me if they are good or not
  • bigcheeez
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • bigcheeez

Post 3+ Months Ago

As long as you know that when you format a hard drive it erases everything on it. If its a new drive then it does not matter.
The drive won't care where its formatted, just make sure you use NTFS.
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

bigcheeez wrote:
As long as you know that when you format a hard drive it erases everything on it. If its a new drive then it does not matter.
The drive won't care where its formatted, just make sure you use NTFS.

yeah i know that formatting erases everyting...but is there any risk in it, like would windows not install or something like that?
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

It will need a reformat and you must know how to set up your CD rom as the first bootable device in bios... or at to just make it a bootable device.
  • Phoenix
  • Loc: Portland, Oregon, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the ram is very difficult to implant into a new hardrive because every hard drive ( Exept Windows 98-ME ) have differant codes on the chips now for 98-ME there ram chip coe is pc100 with the computer these days there from PC2700-DDR 2700 any hoo building a computer is a difficult thing if you mess up one thing it could fry ur mother board trust me ive learned that the hard way this is what u needa do

1) Get computer case compatible with new hardware
2) get mother board that fits and place it into case ( must have screws )
3) get a hardrive 60 gigs+ recomended
4) get a cd-rom 20-40 speed
5) get a nice video card and sound card ( video and sound cards built into the mother board uses up your ram by the ammount of the video card for example if u have a video card 64 megs it well take 64 ram from ur comp )
6) get the wires for the components
7) get power supply
8) hook em all up and prey to god it works :D

Cya and good luck
Phoenix :2gunfire:
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Id go with onboard sound... theres no need to pay for a sound card unless you want surround sound.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yup no reason for a non intergrated sound card unless you want a really high end piece. And don't let Phoenix scare you, it is not very difficult to build a computer, if you don't have a lot of experience handling hardware just take your time and make sure something looks like it makes sense before you install. Also I would reccomend investing in a static wrist strap, you can get one for like 7 bucks at CompUSA. Wear it when you are handling hardware especially video cards and memory, I know a lot of guys feel this is a mundane detail but I can tell you from exsperiance ESD is real and can quickly and easily fry a memory chip or video card, 7 bucks is a small price to pay for that little extra protection.
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the tips guys.....good to know that i have someplace to go if this turns out bad :lol: . Im getting my paycheck today so im probably going to buy parts sometime next week....then more questions :D
  • Bobbo171
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Bobbo171

Post 3+ Months Ago

i need help finding a motherboard....i found this one
http://motherboards.bizrate.com/marketp ... 53024.html
but i don't know how good that'll be cuz it has only 3 PCI slots and I don't know how many i will need. Im looking for an intel and my budget is around 200$...and suggestions
i also seem to notice that a lot dont have processeors with them....how much does one cost?
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Well the ram is very difficult to implant into a new hardrive because every hard drive ( Exept Windows 98-ME ) have differant codes on the chips now for 98-ME there ram chip coe is pc100 with the computer these days

Listen can i tell ya a little secret ! Ram is dependant on you CPU (processor) and MOTHERBOARD ,you could have 22 O/S's on that H/D
and it don't care . It's up to what ever your MOBO & CPU can except
spec. wize

I don't no were you got that info from ..but it's pretty funny.
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

i built my pc . to be honest its easy if you use common sence . i pluged every thing together and it worked . little play in the bios and i was away . good luck ,

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 25 posts