Building a computer want to get some input

• whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am building a computer. Well planning on building a computer and I need some input. The input i want is for the motherboard.

What exactly do I want from a motherboard.

I am planning on using Northbridge NVIDIA chip. I really don't plan on doing much but playing games and using the internet. I would like the option of at least expanding to 4 gigs of ram when i get the money.

If you could suggest some links for me to look at that would be helpful.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, this depends what games you will be playing. Looking at your avatar, It looks like you play Halo. Do you LAN at all, or just play online?
  • whatlikesit12345
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

What I really want to know is what I need on the mother board

Serial ATA/EIDE (which one)

brand of motherboard

Chip Set type
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

try a DFI Lanparty mobo or an Asus a8n-SLI Deluxe or just the normal Asus A8n SLI
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get the new ASUS, The A8N32-SLI or whatever it is called. There is also the DFI Lanparty nForce4 SLI-D
  • al_ngl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey I got a GIGABYTE GA-K8NSC-939 at Monarchcomputers.com. It supports 4gigs of RAM, it has the northbridge u want, it has agp, but that's wat i was stuck with. I ran all the way through Half life two on it with great graphics and fast loading. and it supports sata raid 0 or 1 (built in drivers or watever). It costs aroun $60 and it works great if ur on a budget.
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

whatlikesit12345 wrote:
What I really want to know is what I need on the mother board

Serial ATA/EIDE (which one)

brand of motherboard

Chip Set type

Serial ATA is a nice choice. I just purchased a 250GB Sata Seagate Hard Drive. I was/am amazed with the speed of the drive. The drive also runs fairly cool. There is a huge performance difference between the two. I recommend research them both and making sure your motherboard fully supports the SATA. Good luck with your decision.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have multiple standards when designing and building a computer.

1.) Processor & Motherboard compatability
Make sure your motherboard is on the list of qualified motherboards from your chip manufacturer if your going AMD. If you are going Intel, I usually only use an Intel board - but I hate intel so I never use them. :-)

2.) Match chipsets. Since I normally go AMD - I make sure my video card chipset matches my northbridge chipset usually as a best practice. For instance - nVidia chipsets get Nvidia video cards. Normally if possible I get the motherboard and video card from the same manufacturer. But I basically only go nVidia & Asus nowadays! :-)

3.) Memory Memory Memory!
Don't be stupid with memory - go with the best. Make absolutely sure the memory is on the mobo manufacturers list. And for pete's sake, get something with a decent latency. I don't believe in overclocking the bejesus out of anything. To me having obscenely OC'd ram at a latency of 4-6-6-8 T3 is just plain stupid. My ram matches perfectly and runs at 2-2-2-5 T1. That also limits the amount of RAM, but unless your using a lot of VMware-esque stuff or running servers you don't need any more than 4GB (and AMD/Nvidia can't support more than 4GB).

4.) Don't cheap out on the PSU! Get one that is more than adequate for your rig, and make sure it have active PFC and a high efficiency. The flashy eye-candy will do nothing for you. Most flashy PSU's blow anyway (both figuratively and literally). I only go PC P&C nowadays - but cheaper alternatives exists.

5.) DO YOUR RESEARCH! match every component to the T. Make sure to read reviews from reputable sources. Do NOT buy refurbished. If you can't afford the best and the latest your better off going non-bleeding edge but still the best parts. It won't kill you to get something that came out 6 months or a year ago but from the best manufacturers. Don't try to go bleeding edge on too-tight of a budget and expect a perfect system.

Think Feng Shui but with computers.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

Skirge wrote:
try a DFI Lanparty mobo or an Asus a8n-SLI Deluxe or just the normal Asus A8n SLI

the A8N-SLI series has a problem you should be aware of with 4 gigs of ram. see newegg reviews for a bit more info. though 3 will probably be enough

ive been quite impressed with the ABiT FATAL1TY motherboards

SATA by all means

the top two ram manufacturers i recomend are corsair and ocz.

power i recomend ocz and antech for a lower budget than PC P&C

um...ya thats all i have to offer you for advice
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
Think Feng Shui but with computers.

Well put. :D
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

lemiwinks1 wrote:
the A8N-SLI series has a problem you should be aware of with 4 gigs of ram. see newegg reviews for a bit more info. though 3 will probably be enough.

This is very true, if your looking to get 4GBs RAM then the A8N-SLI series is not your ideal board(s). I currently have the Premium board and love it to bits, its has great BIOS features for overclocking etc and it is well laid out. Only problem I have is that it doesn't like having all four DIMM slots filled. This causes misc errors, the most annoying of which was my HDD saying NTLDR was missing when it wasn't. Removed the fouth DIMM and it booted fine.

Just somthing to think about.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

That's because the Nvidia based AMD chips cannot address all 4GB of memory. At most you will get only 3.5GB of memory anything at the top of the stack will get "lost." Including certain system files needed to load the OS. Pentium systems have a similar problem too, but their chipset keeps PCI data at the top of the stack so you are really only getting 3.5GB of usuable ram as well. Servers that can handle between 4GB up to 32GB do not have this problem - but they have seperate memory controllers.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts