Total votes : 14

which processor

•  
    AMD
  •  
    INTEL
  •  
    CYRIX

building a pc from fresh, part 4(what to buy next)

• JTBon1ine
  • JTBon1ine
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi its my first post here wanted to say hi to everybody

after having my pc for say 3 years i've decided its too slow and it keep getting blue screen errors i've brought a lot of new hardware to fix and update what was believed to be the problem but still getting crashes and resets (which is a pain if your a online gamer) so after reformatting my pc and starting from fresh the crashes and blue screens keep coming up Ggrrrrrr!! i'm going to build anew pc says to the woman (yeah don't me laugh she replies) so now its set

well anyway to the nitty gritty, The Project - build a pc from scratch,
The time - 6 months, The exspence 250 pm (over 6 months £1500)

well today is payday so i'm going to look at my 1st item, believing big problem is overheating on this pc i'm looking for a good case (tower) that is very cooled i'm looking to spend good money on this as its what everybody will see and its got to hold everything needed for the whole project to work,

a few questions & answers

Q. what are you using the pc for
A. normal keeping in contact with friends holding family photo albums and hi end gaming
Q. what is amount do you want to spend
A. £1500 over 6 months
Q. what components are in this pc that can use in the new?
A. good question i've update (x2 512 DDR ram) extra external hard drive only 80gb to hold family photo's (something couldn't lose when reformatted pc) gforce 5200fx (256mb)- this could be my thorn in the backside
Q. can any extra funding be put into the project
A. This can be flexible depending if i win the lottery(helps if i enter)

Hope this gets some idea's will go deeper into the hardware when back online Thanks for your time
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: McMinnville, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Since you are in the UK, I am not sure of the retailers or pricing but here is a link to a really nice case from Thermaltake that would fit your needs for a nicely cooled case.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6811133132

The only downside to this particular model is that you would also need to purchase a PSU as well. Here is my personal favorite:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817103924

However if you want quiet power:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6817103926

Your RAM and video look fine to keep, but if the video card is AGP you will want to replace it since most of the newer MoBo's are comming with PCI-E and not AGP.

Your RAM is probably DDR and not DDR2 so you should be able to keep that in circulation with an AMD based system. If you choose to build an Intel box on the D9xx chipset chuck the RAM you have. You will need to purchase DDR2.

Your new processor should be either in the Athlon 64 (939 socket) or Intel LGA 775 since these are the latest releases from both companies, you will have the most choices in motherboards as far as features, and such. :D
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Also look at the Lian-Li cases, extremly cool.
  • JTBon1ine
  • JTBon1ine

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah looked at them some nice models anybody heard of Xcase?

http://www.xcase.co.uk/acatalog/Viper_Gaming_Case_.html

this is a link the a model i like dont think i will buy it tho there was one called a shark tower cant seem to find it anywhere

http://www.xcase.co.uk/acatalog/A-Top_X ... eluxe.html

love that case the sort've one i would buy[/url]
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

The Thermaltake Shark?

Thermaltake has a lot of great cases, they can be seen here.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

ugh, i hate cases that are, in all actuality TRANSFORMERS, ROBOTS IN DISGUISE!
theyre big, and plastic, and look flimsy, but thats just my opinion.
  • blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av

Post 3+ Months Ago

4ss_munk3y wrote:
ugh, i hate cases that are, in all actuality TRANSFORMERS, ROBOTS IN DISGUISE!
theyre big, and plastic, and look flimsy, but thats just my opinion.

:lol: at that
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

FrozenCPU.com has some nice ideas ! They have modded and top of the line (just to give you ideas).

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Modifi ... earch.html

http://www.frozencpu.com/scan/se=Modifi ... earch.html

Anytime your serious about building a quiet,or mutifan pc you need
a good case to start with .

http://www.extremeoverclocking.com/

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=928279

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php ... ge=1&pp=20

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=758611
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

The CoolerMaster Centurion 532 is a decent case for the price. The front panel is mesh with one 120mm Fan placed at the bottom of this. It also has a second 120mm Fan mount at the back of the case and plenty or internal room.

CoolerMaster 530

You can also use a 4 in 3 device to turn some of the internal 5.25 drive bays into a third 120mm Fan using the device below, which, also cools the drives.

CoolerMaster 4 in 3 device
  • JTBon1ine
  • JTBon1ine

Post 3+ Months Ago

well ive now brought my case (A-Top X-Blade Ultimate Silver With 580 Watt Psu -Pci Express-Cable Manager 20/24 Pin + LCD Controller) expecting it to come in the next few days. (is impressive will post pics when building the pc)

Been having a laugh chatting to people on whats best, Anyway back to the nitty gritty Next task is to buy is the main workings for inside the pc (motherboard)

This needs to support good amount of Ram DDR or DDR2 will look into this more in weeks to come. Not sure what processor to go for yet i will buy anew one but need to look on the picture as a whole also im thinking of treating myself to anew graphics card.

Would love to discuss advantages and disadvantages of motherboards that are recommended,remembering that the pc is being built to be updated every 3-6 months so it doesnt have many problems when new hardware comes out.

processor- AMD 1800 XP
graphics card- geforceFX5200 -256MB
Ram X2 512mb - 133mhz
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

If your on a budget, I do not think much will compare to the likes of the AMD Athlon 64.

Look for AMD prices to actually go much lower as well, but that depends on how this lawsuit goes.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

therefore, READ IT!, click the link in my sig
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have, many times. But we won't know anything until September 6th at the very least.

I have a sneaking suspicion that there is another force behind AMD that is driving this. <begin star wars music>All bow to Darth Gates!</end star wars music>
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

As has been suggested, if your on a budget, go for AMD. Their CPU's and components associated with AMD are usually cheaper.

The AMD 3000+ Skt939 is a well priced CPU if your looking for performance yet don't want to pay an arm and a leg. This will also mean your Skt939 mobo will be X2 compatible [ assuming you buy a mobo that is compatible ] when you come to upgrade to a X2 [ if thats what you want to do later ].

If your on a budget I am presuming you will not be going the SLI route.

You also need to decide whether you want nF4 or VIA.
  • JTBon1ine
  • JTBon1ine

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah i'm on a monthly budget. I'm happy to spend £250 on 6 items over 6 months all money saved monthly will be added to the next months budget. So looking to spend a maxium of £375 very unlikely to spend that amount on a motherbard havent seen one over £160.(MSI K8T-Master FAR2 4D,4P,AGP,GNETATX Dual SKT 940) So the more save will go onto addtional ram and a better graphics card, aswell as faster processor .If this is planned very well im going to get something really good for better than half the price brought at a retailer. Could be lucky at the end to have some money left to buy something extra special.

Im happy to invest into additonal items such as ram, graphics, processor, cooling overheating can be a real problem with computers leads to all sorts of problems. you will understand why the case brought has a good cooling system with more space than most to add more cooling than most others.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would stay away from socket 940 if your looking for a longer time period for upgradability. Socket 754 and 940 will be moving away much sooner than 939 will.

However, AMD did release a socket 754 semperon 64bit. Much cheaper than it's 939 counterparts. I'll be willing to wager a guess that AMD will soon follow with a socket 939 semperon 64bit. But that will be hush-hush and posted long down the road or at least until sales of socket 754 systems starts to drop off. Then the 939 will be the budget socket type and the new sockets will be released.
  • JTBon1ine
  • JTBon1ine

Post 3+ Months Ago

had alook at the sites around found so many to choose from
(GA-K8NXP-SLI)
(K8N Ultra-SLI)
MSI K8T-Master FAR2 4D,4P,AGP,GNETATX Dual SKT 940
Asus A8V Deluxe Via Socket 939 ATX MotherBoard and an AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 Processor
Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe nVidia Socket 939 MotherBoard and AMD Athlon 64 FX-53 Processor
MSI K8NNeo4 Platinum SLI Socket 939 and Two MSI GeForce 6800GT 256MB Video Cards
MSI K8NNeo4 Platinum SLI Socket 939 MotherBoard and Two XFX GeForce 6800GT 256MB Video Cards
MSI K8TNEO2-F Via Socket 939 ATX MoAbit AN8 SLI NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.20GHz Processor
Abit AN8 SLI NVIDIA Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and an AMD Athlon 64 X2 4400+ 2.20GHz Processor
Gigabyte K8NXP-SLI Socket 939 ATX Motherboard and an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ 2.2GHz Processor
most come with extra's depending where u buy them from, the last one posted looks lovely but comes with a price tho, £666 is this worth it or should i see if i can buy them cheaper individually.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you are going the AMD socket 939 route then there is more to consider that will very much narrow down that list.

1.) To be SLI or not to be SLI. If you are a hardcore gamer then I would say, sure - why not. If you are not - don't waste your money.

2.) SATA. Do you want 2,4,6 or 8 SATA ports. Do you want those in the SATA gen1 1.5Gb/s or SATA gen2 3.0Gb/s flavors?

3.) Overclockability. Do you OC? Do you not OC? If you are one of the sanity challenged overclockers, you need a board that comes with a gambit of modifiable values at your fingertips for your tweaking pleasure.

4.) FX or Dual Core? 512MB L2 cache or 1MB L2 cache? Beer or Pretzels?
  • JTBon1ine
  • JTBon1ine

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the help brought ASUS A8N-SLI Premium mother board, Went for this because it offers me so much and its also got all the latest tech out seems good and will last longer than 3 months. I've been busy with my brain working out how to put it all together. Been all fun so far only spent 3 hours on it (2 of them looking at it with a big smile) Just wanted to update everybody on how im doing so far I've brought,
case =X-Blade Deluxe
psu =580W Type-R Modular PSU
motherboard =ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
graphics card = TBA
memory = TBA
hard disk = TBA
dvd rom = TBA
cd rom = TBA
With technology moving so fast these days Think its best to leave the CPU until last, What would be the next thing to buy im open to suggestions too.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok umm im not sure if this will fit your money needs but i found you a good graphics card for "high end gaming"

its an EVGA Geforce 6800GT

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6814130215

theres the link to it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts