Building a new PC - please recommend some good products

• Cacti12
  • Born
  • Born
  • Cacti12

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have my sights set on building a PC. This will be my first build.
An ideal final price would be around 1,000 dollars - give or take 100 dollars.
The computer will be used for gaming and school work.
As of now, I am not worried about buying a monitor. I can find a decent monitor for around $200 dollars, which has a maximum resolution of 1600 x 1200 - perfect for the game I play. The new video card would have to be strong enough for a 1600 x 1200 resolution.

When it comes to the rest of the PC, I'm absolutely clueless.

If I stand correct, you need memory,a motherboard, a power supply,a processor, a case(do fans come with these?), a hard drive. graphics card, sound card and a floppy drive. Finding a monitor,mouse and keyboard will be easy.

I would appreciate it if some experienced builders in here would list some good products which will fit my budget and will also give me the best gaming experience for my buck.

Also, I was told that the first step to making a computer is deciding on the motherboard and processor - why is this? And what is the difference between Intel and AMD - which is better?

My current computer is a total POS. Intel Celeron Processor 600MHz with 319 MB of ram. :oops: If I were to buy a better video card and monitor, would my computer support a 1600 x 1200 resolution, or would it be a potential danger? These new video cards must eat energy up like crazy.

Thanks
Danny
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• blink182av
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • blink182av
  • Loc: New York

Post 3+ Months Ago

Let's go. I have not checked the price for these, this is from my head.

AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Corsair XMS 1GB
ASUS A8N32-SLI
nVidia GeForce 6600GT
Western Digital 100GB SATA 3gb/s
Choose a random case: Lian-Li would be best.
As for a PSU I would recommend PC Power & Cooling. You may need to go for something cheaper like an Antec or Thermaltake.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

a 6600GT would never play 1600 x 1200 very well

something like

AMD X2 3800+
2gbs Ram
Geforce 7800GTX

more than enough cash for those componenets

just need a good mobo which i can't spec while at college :P
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

i cant find the a832n anywhere. do you know where theyre actually selling it? newegg only has it as pre-order...or out of stock, on of the two

but seriously, you dont need 2gbs of ram for anything but battlefield and a media player at the same time

Quote:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+
Corsair XMS 1GB
ASUS A8N32-SLI
nVidia GeForce 6600GT
Western Digital 100GB SATA 3gb/s
Choose a random case: Lian-Li would be best.
As for a PSU I would recommend PC Power & Cooling. You may need to go for something cheaper like an Antec or Thermaltake.

this is a very good list and for the variables in there such as the case and psu, i reccommend a lian li, or an antec [maybe the p-180, but its pricey, and so are most lian-lis.] and for the psu, definitely go for a pcp&c if you can, but otherwise with antec or thermaltake. ive heard seasonic and sparkle are good as well.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts