Building A New System

• Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ft Worth TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys, getting ready to jump from AMD to Intel, and was gonna see if you guys had some mobo/cpu suggestions..

Right now I am looking at the P4 2.6CGHZ (800Mhz FSB) and the Abit IS7 mobo... anyone have any comments on these?

Really just looking for all the opinions I can get before I make purchase, although I know alot of it is personal perference.

Thanks fellas!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks, im happy with the 22 people who viewed and didnt have any opinions/comments...
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

AMD rules, Intel sucks :D I would stick with AMD if I were you. Cheaper and just as good of quality. I usually use ASUS boards, but I hear Abit is good too, I just have never used them.
  • The Shrew
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't really have an opinion on that, but if you want some people that really value their opinions on the best hardware, try some big gaming forums.
  • tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I made the mode to AMD after the P4's came out, but I would gladly move back to a P4 at this point... I still believe they are better quality, and if your getting a P4, make sure it's one with hyperthreading. the P4's have gone down in price significantly comparing with prices back when I made the move to AMD.

As for the Abit motherboard, I've built 20 systems using Abit motherboards and about 5 with Asus, and a couple with off brand MBs. If you can go with an Asus, do it. They always have the miscellaneous options and ports and settings maxed out for their time so you can support most any hardware. And I can vouch that they have a long life value (so long as you get a quality power supply that isn't going to fry it... don't make that mistake).
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Welcome To, Crazy World!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
AMD rules, Intel sucks :D I would stick with AMD if I were you. Cheaper and just as good of quality. I usually use ASUS boards, but I hear Abit is good too, I just have never used them.

hell yeah... I run AMD.. Intel suck... This is the best running computer I have ever had or ever been on..
  • tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really don't believe that... but if your making the decision based on prices, keep this in mind: AMD's will not last unless you put $30-$40 into new brand name cooling fans (case and cpu).
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

amd vs. intel is similar to chevy vs. ford

there's always plenty of good and bad stories to support everyone's
opinion of them, and the preference is realyl gonna come from your own
experience, regardless of what others tell you.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I bought an INTEL P4 2.6CGHZ w/800Mhz FSB (Hyperthreading aswell) along with the ABIT IS7 motherboard.... WOW, this thing is really sweet, and unlike my AMD, I havent had any blue screens or anything in 3 days now, whereas with my last AMD system I had 5 within 10 minutes of setting it up.

I looked at prices to see what kind of options where available, and was really shocked at what i found (cpu wise).
PriceWatch.com:
AMD XP3200+ (2.2Ghz) 400Mhz FSB - $430
Intel P4 2.6Cghz 800Mhz FSB - $199

That blew me away... I didnt look at board prices, just cpu and since I have read alot of good reviews chose Intel. Look UNFLUX said, it's like Chevy & Ford...

Anyways, here are the system specs for those interested:
Intel P4 2.6CGhz 800Mhz FSB (using stock heatsink & fan)
ABIT IS7 Motherboard
Kingston HyperX PC3500 2 x 512(Used in Dual Channel Mode)
nVidia GeForce 4 TI4800 8xAGP
Enermax 431Watt Whisper Series Power Supply
1 - 120MM Case Fan (113 CFM)
4 - 80MM Case Fans (one with blue led)
4" Blue Cold Cathode Lighting Kit
1 - 120GB Maxtor 7200 RPM (used for backup/storage)
1 - 60GB Maxtor 7200 RPM (main drive for OS/Apps)
Plextor 24X CDRW
52X CDRom
Aluminum Enermax Case, with front USB's & Audio Connectors
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea unflux was right, its personal preference, but just so you know, the amd 3200+ could easily outpreform the 2.6, AMDs "clocked" rating is a lot different from its actual rating, and is usually as good if not better then an intel proc a few steps up.
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

a 2.2 Ghz with a 400Mhz FSB can outperform a 2.6 w/800Mhz FSB?
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Intel rules suckahs!
Sony VAIO
Pentium4 4.0 GHz
2GB RAM
100GB HDD
Cant touch this!
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

like I said, an AMD's "clocking" is a lot different then an intel's, they just do it to give you a rough estimate. My friends 1800+ outruns my 2.4ghz.

Quote:
Intel rules suckahs!
Sony VAIO
Pentium4 2.0 GHz
2GB RAM
100GB HDD
Cant touch this!

Actually I can touch that, because it's a VAIO, show me stats for a selfmade and it'll be outa reach :-P
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok, your comments still dont justify spending over $200 more for the AMD chip.... sorry
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I wasn't trying to justify anything, I could care less what you bought, its all about personal preference.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright I am going to try and clear this crap up with the AMD vs. Intel.

UNFLUX's Chevy vs. Ford is pretty damn accurate when it comes down to it. So, I am going to go by that.

Alright Chevy is basicly AMD. Most Chevy (AMD) fans are real hardcore and LOVE Chevy (AMD) wouldn't ever go Ford (Intel). Really it seems like MORE Chevy fans than Ford.

Ford fans (Intel) are not as hardcore about saying "Intel 4eva YEAH!!" and going all out to prove that Ford (Intel) is the best. Although words come back and forth on which is better.

In reality there are more FORDs (Intel) out there and it seems that people think that just because it is more well known and more people have them that they are better.

Really, no matter what anyone says or does to try to prove that Intel is better than AMD or that AMD is better than Intel. It is more or less whatever fits you. I am a AMD fan my self because I have ran Intel in the last 2 computers of mine and my current computer has an AMD and it just runs soo much better and smoother to me. AMD is for me but no one can really say which is better because everyone is going to have their own word on it.

~~~Sorry if I made any "ERRORS" I didn't double check my spelling and whatever. Sue me!
  • tierra
  • Student
  • Student

Post 3+ Months Ago

he wasn't trying to justify spending $200 more for an AMD... he was saying the AMDs are actually cheaper per CPU vs the Intel processors based on benchmark tests (ie: an AMD 2400 (2.0Ghz) performs better than an Intel P4 2.4 Ghz)... clock speeds don't make a difference these days. Even the new Mac G5's run at a TOP clock speed of 2.0Ghz, yet they are running competitive benchmarks even up against the new 3.0Ghz P4s and 3.0Ghz Xeon processors.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with your choice on the P4 with the 800Mhz FSB (definately worth it). That's my personal preference also. I just want to point out a fact that most people haven't realized yet.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

sounds awesome jimmie. congrats. I'll build myself a nice system one day...
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

My point is that people seem to over look the facts of being cheaper, performance, and just overall ratings. People just seem to see Intel as more well known and automaticly think that it is the best and that AMD must suck..
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

i will say this.... myself, along with everyone I know, switched to AMD because it was cheaper.not saying thats why the world did it, but thats the reason me and my friends did, because it was cheaper and competitive with the pentium class, unlike the celerons.

if you like chevy, buy a chevy. if you like dodge, buy a dodge. i happen to like the nissan 350Z and wish I could buy it :D
  • Bigwebmaster
  • Site Admin
  • Site Admin
  • Loc: Seattle, WA & Phoenix, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

I not only bought AMD because it is *generally* cheaper in most cases, but I think its better quality, and better built. With Intel you are paying alot for the name and advertising it does. That is my opinion in general.
  • Heart
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Bigwebmaster wrote:
I not only bought AMD because it is *generally* cheaper in most cases, but I think its better quality, and better built. With Intel you are paying alot for the name and advertising it does. That is my opinion in general.

Exactly people!!
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

b_heyer wrote:
like I said, an AMD's "clocking" is a lot different then an intel's, they just do it to give you a rough estimate. My friends 1800+ outruns my 2.4ghz.

Quote:
Intel rules suckahs!
Sony VAIO
Pentium4 4.0 GHz
2GB RAM
100GB HDD
Cant touch this!

Actually I can touch that, because it's a VAIO, show me stats for a selfmade and it'll be outa reach :-P

Blah! only the case is VAIO sir (I used VAIO cuz it looked pretty badass) everything was put in by yours truly....
  • b_heyer
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

what is your sound card/video card?
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sound Card:
Turtle Beach - Santa Cruz
Output Mode - 3D sound
Interface - PCI
Data Width - 16-bit
Form Factor - Plug-in card
Platform - PC
Max. Sample Rate - 48 kHz
Installed Memory - 8 MB
Audio Amplifier - Integrated
♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫♫
Video card:
NVIDIA - GeForce4 Ti 4800
Vertices per Second: 136 Million
Fill Rate: 4.8 Billion AA Samples/Sec.
Operations per Second: 1.23 Trillion
Memory Bandwidth: 10.4GB/Sec.
Maximum Memory: 128MB

Spiffy? U βΈт!
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is just my personal view here but -

I hate these kinds of discussions. If someone's happy with something
they have, why do we all feel the necessity to coax them into believing
that what you have is as good or better?

If you like chevy, great! if you like ford, great! if you like 350z's great! (so do I ;))

My point is, it's like arguing over PC vs Mac. It's pointless if that person
is happy with it. To me, the conversation is over at that point. People
always get personal and attack the other. Silly to me.

(Sorry, I'm off the soapbox now.)
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

bow to the 350's! 8)
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm, amd and intel, this battle has been raging for years.
amd concentrate on performance, whilst intel concentrate on clock speed, i am hoping to get an xp2400 myself, simple because i have used amd since.

not to be a pain but i run an amd athlon 1ghz, my bro an intel celeron 900mhz

now im no scientist but when i first got my comp and he got his they both had the same amount of ram (apart intel machine having no graphics card, only intigreated), his stuggles doin everything, whilst mine (the amd) could run anything, even games which demanded 1.5ghz + with no struggle (well not alot) and the intel machine wouldn't even load it. there may be a 100mhz difference but that wouldn't mean the game wouldn't load, but the intel machine struggles to load normal apps, like paint !!!! :shock:

but thats my opinion :roll:

not this alone has pushed me to stick with amd
  • Jimmie
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

a celeron machine doesnt compete with a regular AMD anyways..
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

still, the difference was too great
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Post Information