Building a PC.....

• dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

ive built a PC before but i have never installed a mother bored into a case or a processor into the mother bored. is this hard to do . im a bit scared with all the eletric and stuff lol any thing i MUST do or any things i should NEVER do.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Ju
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Ju

Post 3+ Months Ago

Best to attach the processor and heatsink/fan to the motherboard before you put it into the case. Also, if you're using a Coolermaster type heatsink & fan it's best to bend the clip out slightly with a pair of pliers before you attach it - makes life a lot easier!

Before you fit the motherboard to the case, you'll probably need to put some riser-screws or clips onto the case in order to attach the motherboard. Also, there will be a backplate that comes with your motherboard which you will need to put into your case, in replacement of the old one.
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok. how about set up .....like bios
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should nt have to do any thing with bios, but when you install it make sure you touch metal with both hands while having both feet on the floor, helps prevent static electicity from frying stuff. i learned the hard way with a 300 dollar video card... :( not a happy thought other wise instillation should be pretty simple.

poly
  • Johan007
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Aldershot, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

poly wrote:
make sure you touch metal with both hands while having both feet on the floor, helps prevent static electicity from frying stuff.

....you have the right idea but the floor is not earthed nore is metal on its own! You should discharge yourself of static from the non painted part of a radiator and if you have no radiator then erm… maybe if you touch the metal case of your PC while it is plugged into a power socket with 3 pins one being the earth! If you live in a country with no radiators or a 3 pin power supply then I am not sure what to do.

You can also buy wrist bands and fix one end to the earthed source but this is extreme for a PC.

Carpeted floors do the opposite and create static.

The motherboard will come in a plastic static proof bag... when working on it put the motherboard ontop of the static proof bag.

Builing a PC is easy the most complex thing is if you have 2 HD then you have to set them up as Primary and Slave... i would just use the 1 to start with then after installing Windows add the other.

Also in the BIOS you may want to set the CD ROM as a bootable device (I dont even have a floppy).

I recommend an Abit AN7 guru motherboard because it gives good feedback to identifying any problems but it is expensive.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

you wont need to do slave and master, all you need to do is set it to CS(cable select) and then your good to go. make sure all of the drives are on CS. makes it easier to set up. Slave and master are harder to set up and for the tiny tiny little bit of speed you gain its not worth it.

poly
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ordered my pc now my friend said i cant build a oc with out knowing about
fsb
ram bus speed
agp settings
ide settings
i dont have a clue , do i really need to know about this and are they hard subjects.
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Actually you do need to set it up as Slave or Master. Cable Select requires a special cable that supports it. I've personally never seen them but they are color coded for master and slave..

The FSB or frontside bus is basically the speed the motherboard runs at. An important thing to know is to make sure your RAM runs at a speed as fast or faster than the FSB.

The RAM bus speed is important because it determines the type of RAM you can have. Your probably going to be buying DDR SDRAM since that's the most common type out there. Before buying the RAM read your motherboard manual to see what type of RAM it suggests. So if you have a FSB of say 400MHz you would get RAM that ran at speeds higher or equal to 400MHz. Typically DDR SDRAM has two naming system. DDR400 means it's DDR that runs at 400MHz. The other more common naming conventaion takes the speed (400MHz) multiplied by 8. So DDR400 would become PC3200. The 3200 means 3200 bytes per second.

As for AGP settings, I think the only thing you will need to know is which version of AGP you have and get a videocard that supports that AGP port. Of course you'll probably want to look at speed and memory if your a gamer.

IDE settings these days are pretty much standard. Unless your installing used parts you won't have to worry about speed at all. You will have to know about setting up master or slave. This is important because if you don't set it up properly your not going to be able to access your IDE devices. Usually you set this up with jumpers on the back of the harddrive and the CD-ROM drive.

Alternatively you could use a Cable Select ribbon however this is sorta pointless because you use cable select you have to change the jumpers anyways, with the added cost of a special ribbon.

These subjects aren't too hard, just that they have a lot of 'lingo' that makes it seem hard. If your building a PC it's quite important that you know this stuff since it changes how the PC can be built.
  • Moses08
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Moses08

Post 3+ Months Ago

Buy an anti-static wrist strap. Spending $8 now will save you hundreds when you don't zap your $500 components. :P
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Xel02 wrote:
Actually you do need to set it up as Slave or Master. Cable Select requires a special cable that supports it. I've personally never seen them but they are color coded for master and slave..

Let me repeat my self... YOU DONOT NEED TO SET IT UP AS MASTER AND SLAVE. ALL YOU NEED IS A STANDARD IDE OR EIDE CABLE. AND PUT THE JUMPER ON THE HARD DRIVE AS CS OR CABLE SELECT. SETTING UP MASTER AND SLAVE IS A B*TCH FOR PEOPLE WHO HAVE NEVER DONE IT BEFORE. CS IS VERY SIMPLE.

does this make it a little clearer? If you need more info about jumpers and stuff let me know and ill be happy to explain.

poly
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Moses08 wrote:
Buy an anti-static wrist strap. Spending $8 now will save you hundreds when you don't zap your $500 components. :P

if your carefull and ground your self first, and are not walking on carpet while you set it you this is not somethng you need to worry about. if you are doing this as a job then by all means buy one. i had to because i do alot of this kind of work.

poly
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
YOU DONOT NEED TO SET IT UP AS MASTER AND SLAVE. ALL YOU NEED IS A STANDARD IDE OR EIDE CABLE.

Cable-Select is now supported by all the 80-wire EIDE ribbons that support Ultra-DMA but for the 40-wire ribbons they don't have Cable Select on them unless you buy a special ribbon.

For learning purposes it would be better to learn how to setup Master and Slave. Personally I don't find it that hard, as most manufacturers now put diagrams that show how you do it on the drive itself.

Also sometimes it's better to use Master and Slave since some ribbons are quite small and the Slave end might not reach the device you want. So instead of totally rearranging all the drives you could set the device as Slave and simply plug it in.

Either way works though. If Cable Select works for you I would totally recommend it for it's simplicity but don't forget about the Master/Slave option.

For more information on Cable Select you can visit this site:
[url]http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCS-c.html[url][/url]
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thanks and i am buying a anti static band . is there much to do wrong and if i do do it wrong whats the worse that can happen! is not goin 2 start or is it going to blow up!
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

its not going to blow up or any thing, its just not going to start. its pretty easy to put together, 90% of the cords and cables can only go in one way, so that removes quite a bit of confusion. lemme no if you need any more help.

poly
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

ok thanks got my anti static wrist band 2 day :D building 2 morrow so watvh this post for many problems lol
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

http://www.webopedia.com/DidYouKnow/Com ... static.asp

I just thought that was some good points that poly called out.

ESD - Electrostatic Discharge

If you pick up your CPU with your bare hands (without ESD protection), there is a good chance that your 'stored' static electricity will find a path to ground via the delicate components in your CPU.

When I was in the USAF ,I worked with a lot of electronic componets
that were suspectable to ESD.

We had grounding points strategically placed everywere for us to constantly ground ourselves.

They were metal rods driven 6 ft into the ground ,and every 120 days
we would check the Ohm's Resistance on each one ,then re-stencil the
date around it ,when we last checked it.

It was always a danger to us (ESD)

just thought i'd tell ya that .lol
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi this is the first post on my new computer :D no problems building and it was very easy TBH .the only problems im having is with the extra usb and sound ports at the front of the case but apart from that its fine!!!

thanks for all your help!!!!

P.S the hardest thing was geting the wireless keybored and mouse to work ...........help if the battries are in right :oops:
  • Xel02
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Xel02

Post 3+ Months Ago

Good job, it's good to hear.

Those ports are usually attached to the Motherboard through a small cable. Check in your motherboard manual so see if it says anything about it.
  • dqualter
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

yea i have i know how to do it but the cables on the front ports are labled differnt to the manual?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts