Buying brand new top the line computer

• woodc
  • woodc

Post 3+ Months Ago

im buying a kick ass computer and heres the parts i was planning on getting (this is going to be a gaming system)

AMD FX - 53 -- maybe water cooing
ATI X800XT GFX card
2 western digital raptors on raid
Antec P160 case
Not sure on the motherbaord yet (any suggestions?)
1GByte TwinX Pair of Corsair XMS4000 ProSeries RAM.

know of anything faster? should i go 2gb ram? will this all work toghter?

oh one more question - should i buy the gforece 6800 or ati x800xt
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice specs if you have the money i would slap 2 gb of ram in there that way you will always have extra ram sitting around weather you want to put it into another computer. Corsair = nice ram Looks real nice when you run it doubled up too. I have been buying MSI mobos lately and seem to do the job. I am not a gamer though.
  • Omega
  • Omega

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds like a pretty nice setup. I've got two Western digital Raptors running in raid right now. Very nice HD's! I'm running a Gigabyte mobo right now, which I am having problems with( I think it's just human error :roll: ) this is my second gigabyte board, and I would suggest a Gigabyte, I've had pretty good luck with them, then again, people here are going to say what crap they are...I would just do the research, and find a mobo thats going to suit you, and your needs....Thats my two cents.

Omega
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go with an Asus motherboard and dont go cheap on it with that settup you have. Asus motherboards are great for overclocking if you plan to in the future. Also make sure you get a good case. cases are very cheap now-a-days so shop around. Ive seen good cases that come with 400W powersupplies for only 70 bucks! the case im going to buy has room for 8 case fans!!! (who needs 8, but you cares you can have 8 if you want) an overclockers dream and for only 70bucks.
  • Vladdrac
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Louisville, Ky

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would hold off on a mobo until pci express and ddr2 becomes a standard...although no telling how long that will be
  • wyrickj
  • wyrickj
  • Loc: Wyoming, MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

LOL Alienware has a great setup. Thing is though $$$$ is a problem for most for an alienware. I built a PC for x-mas of this year and already it's outdated as there are better video cards, mobo's, etc. I was going for a cloned alienware without the cost of an alienware. I belive it was only $900 for everything except a new CD Rom and floppy.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would actually up your processor. Do a google on processor specs for the processor you plan to get compared with the newer p4's. The new p4's are 3.4 Ghz and are multi-threaded meaning one of them is like running 2 processors. And when I grew up, 2 is better than 1 95% of the time. P4's are the best for gaming. Also, I would go with the new Nvidia GeForce 5950 Ultra for a graphics card. The specs are floating around here at ozzu if you search for em. The card is amazing though.
  • DuckIT
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: London, UK

Post 3+ Months Ago

/Agree with wyrickj. Alienware make an excellent gaming system if you can afford it. My mate just got 2.2K of top spec alienware PC and he's extremely happy with it. They go through like 13 stages of the build process and you can monitor it at amy point. They then run various game tests on your machine to make sure it is running well and burn it in so you always know it will work unless it gets damaged in transit.

I also believe they have 24 hour support if it goes wrong!!

S
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Truce wrote:
I would actually up your processor. Do a google on processor specs for the processor you plan to get compared with the newer p4's. The new p4's are 3.4 Ghz and are multi-threaded meaning one of them is like running 2 processors. And when I grew up, 2 is better than 1 95% of the time. P4's are the best for gaming. Also, I would go with the new Nvidia GeForce 5950 Ultra for a graphics card. The specs are floating around here at ozzu if you search for em. The card is amazing though.

"ATI X800XT GFX card "
the x800 XT is the top card at the moment, almost doubling the 5950U's 3d mark 2003 score. and alot cheaper

and the Fx-53 is one of the fastest processors, AMD have proven that then 64-bit processors are alot faster than then p4, then 3.4ghz p4 is only an increase in the fsb, the fx-53 will perform well when games starting using the 64-bit code, like the Ut2004 they are releasing (i think)
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: somewere over there

Post 3+ Months Ago

im going to have to agree and disagree with nucloe =/

ATI is the leading graphics company right now period. everyone of there models outperforms the compatible nViidia models.

as far the the FX 53 not worth extra money for 64 bit you cant use it anyway it only works on 32 diue to windows. that said you cant over clock the new fx very well and if your going to get water cooling save some money buy a prescott 3.0C or a 3.2 and over clock it to 3.6 - 4.0 gigs depending on how good you set up your system .

** one last thing get asus the mother board makes a huge diffrent its the life of your system cuz it pulls everything toghther. i have an asus and theres nothing more relaible then that
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

yes, i know they dont use it yet...
but if you are looking for gaming, then the 64-bit will be used by "some" titles in the near future.

64-bit will rule in the near future, when the 64-bit OS comes out, and I can guarantee a huge performance leap, when programs use it more effectively
  • ranmao
  • Born
  • Born
  • ranmao

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with nucleo about the AMD. The real nice thing about it is that it's no sloth running 32-bit stuff. As far as motherboards are concerned getting a good will make a big difference with your system.I would recommend looking up reviews on the latest chipsets and decide from there. Asus is good but I've personally used MSI on my last three computers.But please don't forget about the power supply.If your building a high end system like this you need good,reliable, and plentiful power.So do your system a favor and get a good motherboard and power supply to go with it.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah nucloe the os is scheduled for 2006 by then you need a new pc. and if he is planing on overclocking with his water cooling system he shouldnt use the amd 64bit. if you wanna go amd a barton would be better for over clocking.
  • Genjamin
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Genjamin
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just dropped a lot of money on a Liebermann laptop. I really hope it's worth it, but I'm sure I'll be impressed. Not a gamer though, I'm mostly gonna use it for multimedia editing and stuff. Anyways you can check it out here. http://go-l.com/laptops/hollywood_silve ... /index.htm
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

nice lappy ;)
please let me know how long the battery life is...
i really wanna get a high end laptop, but i want it to have a nice battery life too
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

nuke any laptop with a desktop processor will give you a max of 2hrs battery life.
  • Genjamin
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Genjamin
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I'm tracking it DHL as we speak so I can tell you when I get it prolly sometime early next week. I think i read somewhere that it was something like 3-4 hours battery life but I'm gonna be using it more as a replacement to my desktop than a mobile unit.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah you can get out of the lieberman about 3-4 hour only becuase they have an opsion for 2 betterys at a time. i was refering to the use of only one battery at a time. Yes you can get up to 4 hours from most of those extreme laptops when using two batteries. unless the lieberman uses somesort of super battery i didnt check but im pretty sure they do come witht he two baterry option.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am still voting on the Intel Processor. 64-bit OS's are not for a couple of years and I am sure you multi-task. The P4 has got hyperthreading that allows you to process 2 threads at once....making it like 2 processors running at once. I have personally used both 64-bit processors and the P4 ( i have the P4) and the 64-bit seem like normal processors. The P4 is awesome and I rarely hit even 50% CPU usage for more than 1 second and I have all of the following apps running and working:

MusicMatch Jukebox
Frontpage 2003
Visual Studio .NET
PhotoShop CS
Flash MX
and Mozilla

my CPU percentage is chillin' at about 2%.

P4 is the way to go....unless you plan on overclocking.

This is my 100th post!
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

what speed processor is that truce?
alot of those programs only need the processor to start, then they sit in the memory
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

nuke waether in memeroy or not anyhting that your computer deos goes thru your processor. the only thing programs use to tart and stop using when in memory is your hd. and if he reallys wants the 64 bit go for it, but its a waste of money if you want ot over clock the best thing for that is the prescott procesor.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

i know it uses the processor, but to get the program started the processor is used a whole lot more.
because truce said
Quote:
my CPU percentage is chillin' at about 2%.

it will be, but at boot and when you start the programs, it wont be.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

o yeah lol sorry =p
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hehe, no problem my friend ;)
  • Headfoot
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

The GeForce 6800 Ultra is the fastest NVidia chip out there currently, going insanely fast, faster than processors can keep up with, and the X800 XT Platinum Edition is only a very small bit slower, BUT it isnt a dual slot card, and it doesnt require TWO 12 volt leads from a 480 (around) power supply.
I would definitely say go X800 XT PE.

Get a monster power supply, every good machine has peripherals, and alot of those are mooching off your power supply, and if you have a little juice left after its all plugged in, your good to go.

2GB of ram isnt really necesary for a gaming machine, its good for video editing and photo editing, but for gaming 2GB gives basically the same preformance as 1GB but for twice the money. Just buy more when you need more.

A lot of people put all the emphasis on video cards and processors, sure they are very very important, but if you have the best, smoothest preformance on video but the sound is crappy, it just ruins it,
If you have the money get a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Platinum. Then get yourself a nice 5.1 surround sound speaker set up, (Make sure most the speakers has a woofer and a tweeter, then check the noise ratio), and then you are ready to roll. I hear Doom 3's sound is supposed to be as impressive as the game looks. And nothing beats giving you that extra edge in a FPS when you know the shot comes from behind instead of spinning around with your head chopped off.
  • ThATKiD
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well the ATI isnt really slower it depends on what game engine. its split almost half and half. i just checked the bench marks.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce

Post 3+ Months Ago

My processor is 3.06 ghz....

....I have a habit of starting all of my apps at once and they all come up wicked fast....just to let y'all know.

Regardless of what you can say here, I have seen 2.2 ghz amd 64-bit processors overclocked to 2.8 ghz and liquid cooled in action and they don't compare to my P4. Next time you are in compusa or fry's electronics or circuit city even, go play with the completes and see what I mean. Open up the task manager and hit up the performance tab. Then open every file you can find in the next minute.....watch the stats prove it in your face!

LOL: If any staff asks you what you are doing, tell them you work for microsoft and you are debugging.....you get some stupid faces if you are serious.

Enjoy this interactive lab! .....LOL......don't break anything though!

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 27 posts