Buying Dell Inspiron 6400 . Is it a good choice ?

• unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just as the topic suggests i have finally decided that i am getting the dell inspiron 6400. Now before i really do order it i would like to verify with you people as you guys/gals have been very very helpful in my previous one month research and postings on this forum. I am hoping to get a lot of response on this post as well. Here is a link to the laptop i am getting
http://configure.dell.com/dellstore/con ... 02_FEAT_E2
I will use a coupon to get $100 off or mayb talk to dell customer service directly to get a better price, what do you guys think ? Also i would like to know is the following.

1)Is this laptop a good bang for the buck? I mean i am spending over $1300 i just want to make sure i am getting what i want. Here are requirements once again, please let me know if i have made a good choice or a bad one.

"In a nutshell i will be using my laptop to watch movies,listen to music,planning on playing high graphics/quality previous,current and future games, run appz like photoshop,frontpage, burn dvds and cds at high fast/speed without leeching all of my system ram and cpu usage, want to connect my laptop to my tv to watch movies (with good quality/speed) from my notebook"

2) I would like to know from people who have used or using this laptop as to whats their opinion about this product and for how much did they get their machine for ?

3)I would like to know if there is a way to get a little more discount on the laptop if possible.

4) It uses "256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory" is this an integrated card ? And is this good enouph card for playing moderate games?

Thx in advance i really appreciate your help
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

my only problem is that it is a dell, and they dont use AMD.
but i think it is good for what you say you need it for
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might want to go with the 7200rpm 100GB hard drive and get 2GB of memory.
But you can always buy that seperately.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx for the replies guys. Isn't core duo better than amd turion 64 "CowKiller" ? I agree "GT500Shlby" but currently what its comming with is fine for me, in future if i need more i will chip in :D Any more suggestions/comments welcomed
  • Albert_chu
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Albert_chu

Post 3+ Months Ago

personally, im not really a fan of dell simply beacuse their laptop specs are usually not worth the money ur paying for...however the duo core processor is a good way to go...it simply means that u are able to run more programs and do more things at the same time..and in ur case, (running photoshop, burning dvds, frontpage) the duo core processor is what u want..also if u wanted to play high def. games such as oblivion, NFS Most wanted or something equivelent, u want at least a 512mg gfx card, with about 1gig ram and at least a 1.73 ghz processor. but dont forget that u dont have to find a laptop with all these specs, u can simply put in the parts urself.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well Albert i have heard from alot of people that Dell is not the way to go, so i must raise this question to everyone. Can you recommend a laptop which meets the specs i need for around $1500 Canadian ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dell is fine, you just need to have a warranty and remember to cross your t's and dot your i's.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

oblivion doesnt require a 512mb card, it runs extremely well on a 256mb card. dell is fine, there are just a few bad apples [and as GT500Shlby said, just get the warranty] and youll be fine
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thx alot for all the help and advise
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi guys, i am back again because of all thr aswesome help and advise i have gotten here. I finally decided to take the Dell Inspiron 6400 which on their website with default specifications would have costed me $1500 + Tax = $1725 and free shipping offcource. This was a little over my price range, and i had a day of from work today so I picked up the phone and spoken to a few bunch of reps regarding the cost and a few extra goodies i wanted them to add in the package. I finally spoken to a nice rep. who met agreed to meet what my requirements were. I wanted the laptop with a free "Nylon Backpack Carrying Case" which was $50 and also i wanted to get a better sound quality for my $1600 machine so i requested to get a free "Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy® ADVANCED HD Audio" card which costs $30. So if we add up everything this would be the normal cost

$1500(for lap) + $50(for case) + $30(audio card) =
$1817 inc tax

So i asked the rep if he can offer me a better cost and after arguing with him for a few minutes we agreed apon common grounds. A cost of $1600 inc tax for everything.
Now my question to you guys is that is this a sweet deal ? A good bang for the buck ? Also i would like to know is this that should i hold up/wait a few days/months so that Dell reduces the costs for their laptops ? What i mean to ask is does anyone have any idea if Dell will be introducing some kind of huge discount or laptop deals in near future ?
Or is this the best it gets for me?
Thx alot in advance
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say that "you done good."

Good to beat them down on the price.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

So in other words i should seal the deal ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

All I can say is that I would take a deal like that.

I'm gonna try to talk to my Dell Corp. Sales rep and see if he can beat HP's current pricing for a business notebook.

I want something for ~$900 with a core duo, 1GB ddr2, 7200rpm hdd to test vista on.
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
All I can say is that I would take a deal like that.

I'm gonna try to talk to my Dell Corp. Sales rep and see if he can beat HP's current pricing for a business notebook.

I want something for ~$900 with a core duo, 1GB ddr2, 7200rpm hdd to test vista on.

Wow and you really think you can get something like that for $900 US ?
I just have one inquiry from you brotha, can you suggest a better Canadian laptop for $1600 inc tax and shipping ?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Canadian, no.

I get that pricing (in USD) because my company gets a 35% discount on all Dell and HP Products.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 3+ Months Ago

dell, blah.. they dont use amd... but neither does mine.... good system but u could get more for the money. mine was 1300 and i have 1 gb ram with the 100 gig harddrive... plus sony is better than dell... alot better..
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Which sony you got ? I bet you can't get better specs than what i selected already for that cost as i have researched alot
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sony? I have worked on a few Vaio's in my day and I can't stand them, but to each there own.

unstopabl3, you are going to have to take a leap of faith when it comes to this purchase. You can sit here and spend days going back and forth between vendors based on our recommendations but in the end it is your call.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 18 posts