Buying new pc - BEST PROCESSOR FOR GAMING! Please

• LINE71X
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • LINE71X

Post 3+ Months Ago

I really need to know the best processor for gaming.

Or close.

Is it amd or intel.

Please provide details.

I DO NOT WANT TO WASTE my money getting the wrong processor and my games run like trash
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your CPU isn't nearly as important for gaming as your graphics card. Those are what you should be researching.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

This has been discussed many times before.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Currently Intel is in control of the processors for gaming, but it really doesn't matter. The only reason I really say Intel right now is because they have the only 45nm tech CPUs (3.0 GHz 45nm tech cpu for under $200?! ya its nice). Also if you look some reviews you will see that Intel is slightly in the lead for game processing.
  • claireo
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • claireo
  • Loc: Coventry

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would personally go for the AMD, generally alot cheaper, but extremely fast. Combined with a great HD graphics card (its not just the processor that helps with your graphics

The motherboard can also play a big part in the general speed of your computer. I would probably go for a fantastic graphics card as well as an AMD CPU and a motherboard for good expansion. I built a computer a while ago, and i didn't get a particularly fast graphics card as my budget was quite low, and i did regret it, as for gaming its one of the most important things.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius
  • Loc: South-Africa

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have always been an AMD fan, but I recently bought myself an intel Quad Core, and oh damn ... that thing is incredible ... and it outperforms the AMD quad and it's cheaper ... but as has been said here in a few posts, the more important thing is the graphics card ... please note the unwritten rule that Intel and GeForce work better together, and ATI and AMD work better together ...

I think the best would be to buy an 8800Ultra or even two or if you want to go ATI I would suggest the Radeon 3870 ... and imo the 8800Ultra is way better ...

also remember that it's not just the speed of the CPU (in Mhz or Ghz) that makes a difference, but also the bus width the architecture (64bit or 32bit) and the amount of RAM and the speed of the ram ... all these things together make a great PC ... not just one part on its own ...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The 9800 just came out. Its basically two 9600 in SLI. haven't looked at any stats but the reviews say it runs about like an 8800 Ultra, some say its a little slower, but I think its cheap too.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

are you serious ... ?? Awesome ... I thought it was only going to release in July somewhere ... the only reason I didn't suggest the 9600 is because the 8800 still outperforms it ... but the 9800 should kick most cards ... gonna start looking around ...
  • master_dudes
  • Born
  • Born
  • master_dudes

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you want the best procesor for gaming maybe intel 2core is the best
and upgrade your vdo card and also your memmory card dude
  • Merlyn
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Oregon

Post 3+ Months Ago

For gaming, it's all about your RAM and video card.

Processor is really only secondary at this point as most games won't tax dual or quad cores in the way that you would think they might.
  • deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: u.k

Post 3+ Months Ago

there is not mush put getting a quad core for gaming as most of the games out there are not even coded take advantage of quad cores, only dual core so like people GPU and RAM , but just remember a computer well only run at the speed of the lowest part.
  • Devil_666
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Albany

Post 3+ Months Ago

Go for AMD instead of Intel with high quality graphics card.
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Devil_666 wrote:
Go for AMD instead of Intel with high quality graphics card.

Can you explain why you say that ... Is there a source behind your reasoning?
deathblade wrote:
there is not mush put getting a quad core for gaming as most of the games out there are not even coded take advantage of quad cores, only dual core so like people GPU and RAM , but just remember a computer well only run at the speed of the lowest part.

maybe so, but how about in 6 months time when all games are running on quad cores ... do you want to upgrade then ... again ... some of the new games already support quad cores ... Crysis, UT3 etc, and the newer games will obviously be aimed at quad cores ...
  • deathblade
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: u.k

Post 3+ Months Ago

yup as i said on the other topic just if you have to money go for a quad core :)

i guess it all comes down to what you want if was making a dual core i would go for AMD (i read a review where they tested a Intel and AMD dual cores and AMD came out better) but for a quad core system i would pick Intel

but it;s total up to you and we can fight until the cows come home about this :)
  • robbie
  • robbie

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am also an AMD user. Since Duron until Atlon now.
I heard a lot about the argument between Intel and AMD. But so far, I don't have any problem with my machine. With the money save from the processor, I can upgrade for other parts.

When talk about graphic card, I will go for GeForce. No doubt, there are 2 giant graphic card manufacturers donimated the market.

Otherwise, go for over-clocking is going crazy. :evil:
  • righteous_trespasser
  • Scuffle
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

overclocking really bothers me ... I know that it can be done 'safely' and all that, but why go against the manufacturer of the hardware, I'm pretty sure they know better than most of us here ...

And yes, the Intel, AMD war thing is pretty funny imo, I'm never part of it for the very simple reason that they are both excellent at what they do ... at the time of my purchase, I just chose intel because it was the best that I could get at that point in time ...

then robbie, you say that LINE71X should buy an AMD CPU with a GeForce GPU, it's my opinion that AMD and ATI are more compatible, and that Intel and GeForce are more compatible ... it's just always been like that ... don't you also think so?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts