Buying a new computer.

• JakeTheSnake
  • Student
  • Student
  • Loc: Panama City, Fl

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am thinking about buying a new laptop. But I don't know what kind to get. I hear that Dell's are good. A lot of my friends have them. My stepdad just got a new Toshiba. It seems nice. I want a pretty decent one. Something I can use for school and also something to have some fun with too. Do any of you have any suggestions?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Cae
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

this is a great one...

http://www.go-l.com/laptops/studio_silv ... /index.htm

i WANT that thing... unfortuneately i dont have eough money for it... :( hehe

personally, im anti-dell... but thats just my personal bias...dells a pretty good company, there isnt really anything wrong with them, and for school and light gaming sure, go for it... my current laptop is an IBM, its pretty good... and toshiba is a pretty good place to..,
  • Miss_Bee
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Eagle Vale, Sydney (Campbo Chickadee)

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ohhhh man do I want a new desktop computer and a laptop too!!! *Sighs*
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have always stuck with dells they have a great warranty tech support and they have the parts replicable like modem, video card. Nice things are possible like having 2 batteries for twice the batteries life I don’t know if others do that. . I find that they take a lot of abuse. I would second recommend a Toshiba.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

That link up there has some kickin laptops!!! Ouch they're hot! Nicer than my desktop almost...: (
  • madmonk
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • madmonk
  • Loc: australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get Sharp! It's really good and I know that for sure coz my girlfriend just bought herself a Sharp Mebius laptop. Fed twice the ram and REAlly Cool color. :D
  • Nego
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Chicago

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hrmm, Alienware actually makes a good laptop despite popular belief. I'd look into them and do some price searching as well.
  • Nucleo
  • SausagePorkPie
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: UK - England

Post 3+ Months Ago

remember, laptops use batteries!
some of those OTT specs will last about 30 mins.

A Laptop is a mobile computer, not when it is hooked to the mains :P
  • blizzy
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • blizzy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
A laptop is a mobile computer, not when it is hooked to the mains

My laptop serves as my server.
(Our school gives out laptops to students.)

I haven't done building my new desktop, so right now everything still runs off that 1.6Ghz Pentium M Laptop. Yes, M, standing for Mobile, means it's designed for my laptop when carried around and not hooked to the power. However, my laptop has been on my desk for 3 weeks now, constantly on. (I used to have Redhat on it, until its 40GB HDD couldn't have room for 2 OSes any more).[/quote]
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

moved to hardware
  • LAbrego
  • brego from LA
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recommend a Toshiba, my wife had one and it work really great. Never had any trouble. Dell is a great company, but I trusted more on desktops.

Larz*
  • keith07
  • Born
  • Born
  • keith07
  • Loc: United Kingdom

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi im having a few problems buying a new laptop. i travel alot and look ffor some decent specifications and a good batery life, at the moment i have a dell LS or L 400 that i have never had any problems witch its easy to fix and is easy to get spare parts,i am looking for a laptop with a media bay that can accomodate another battery , aswell as being able to accomodate a dvd+-RW with a decent battery life and a small screen that is also easy to upgrade in the future, i am looking for one withh a processor that is about 1.2GHZ

so the specs im loking for are as followed:

around
1..2GHZ processor
60GB hdd
256MB ram
128MB graphics
A media bay that can accomodate a battery
and around about a 12 inch screen but i will go as small as 10" and as large as 15.4"

im not botherd weather it is an old make that yo can only get second hand that would be great for me any way as im only looking looking to spend about £350
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Keith, please don't respond to threads that are 2 years old and completely irrelevant to you. You're not having any similar problem that we could use the previous discussion to help you...you should have posted a new thread.

I'd recommend you check out http://www.newegg.com/ and see what you can find. I'm not sure what shipping is like to the UK, but they've got the best rates around.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 13 posts