buying new gaming comp need tips

• y3l10w
  • y3l10w

Post 3+ Months Ago

i need tips on what to look for when i'm buying a gaming comp for games like rise of nations, WoW, and star wars galaxies
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo
  • Loc: Pitcairn Island

Post 3+ Months Ago

Tell us your budget mate. To play those games well, you'd prob need to set aside anything between $500 and $1000 (Australian dollars)

But if you just want to know what you need its pretty basic.

A mid range graphic card (or high end)
A decent processor
A decent motherboard
A fast hard drive
A good quality [or set of] ram

Thats basically it, if you are looking for brands just post their names here and the product and we can tell you whether its worth your while or not.
  • y3l10w
  • y3l10w

Post 3+ Months Ago

:lol:
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

laughing smiley face is not a brand, or an answer to any of the above.
  • gu3
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: NCL- England

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont meen to be picky but isnt this thread exactly the same as the one posted here http://www.ozzu.com/hardware/beginner-needs-help-t71025.html ?
  • y3l10w
  • y3l10w

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry i ment to answer the question im looking for about 800 american dollars for a comp, and yes i did make a second thread by accident i thought the first one didnt work but it did. my bad
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yellow I will be straight to the point. If you want a budget computer that will run most current games on medium to high settings then get the following:

A good motherboard that has a PCI-E x 16 slot (preferably 2), a good south or north bridge (depending if you go AMD or Intel) i'd recommend an nforce4 or greater and makesure it is a socket AM2 or LGA775, supports DDR2 memory (dont go for anthing less) and can support SATA (lol).

A decent graphic card; anything better than a 6600GT on the nvidia side or x700 pro on the ATI side sphere of influence.

A decent hard drive (7200 rpm, 2mb buffer etc... anything on the market these days would do generally fine)

A decent 1gb worth of ram; Kingston, OCZ, Corsair, Twinmos, Munchkin, Geil, Trancend etc...

And a well ventilated case with at least a 300 watt power supply.

Cool, and if you dont know how to put a computer together find a friend who does or take the risk and try to put one together (when well informed ofcourse) and if you don't intend on making a computer, in which case I have wasted my time,(which you will use for playing games) get a ps3 when it comes out or an xbox 360. You could get a Dell, but to get it to a respectable level you would need to spend around an extra 200 dolars.

Lawl that was a mouthful...in a hurry!

Ta.
  • y3l10w
  • y3l10w

Post 3+ Months Ago

why thankyou limbo, another thing i need to know is if i am going to buy that stuff to put it together myself, what else do i need to buy to make it a full fledged working computer? im new to all this stuff
  • y3l10w
  • y3l10w

Post 3+ Months Ago

would this be the kind of motherboard i would need?// http://www.pricegrabber.com/p__Intel_D9 ... __16029938

and this for graphics card ?http://cgi.ebay.com/Gigabyte-Nvidia-GeForce-6600GT-128MB-GDDR3-AGP-8x_W0QQitemZ130045130779QQihZ003QQcategoryZ40161QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this for the hardrive?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gigabyte-Nvidia-GeF ... dZViewItem

this for the ram
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=74942

and whats the last thing i need?
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

The motherboard is more than good, the graphic card is an agpx8 (which is being phased out for pci-e) and has only 128 mb of onboard memory (too little id say), well I dont use ebay so I'm not used to it...from what I can see from the ram it is not ddr2 (make sure it is) and I cant see the hard drive you are looking at cause you linked a graphic card and I think the graphic card link which is your hard drive is not hyper linked.

Generally though get a motherboard that can support ddr 800 ( you can thank me in the future), the one you were looking at cant. And look at prices for a 7600gt or 7600gs for graphic card and compare them to the 6600gt; if its about the same or a little bit more than the 6600 gt get it. Remember get a sata hard drive with 5000+ rpm at least and DDR2 ram modules not DDR 400,333 etc... From what I heard getting a minimum of 667 DDR2 is better.

Try looking at AMD motherboards and I forgot to mention you will need a processor, for amd anything above a amd64 3000+ would do and for intel 3.0ghz p4.

And don't forget to get a case with at least a 300+ psu (I reommend 400+ psu). Ofcourse a dvd reader too :P
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do not use eBay. Purchase the parts OEM or Retail from a respected vendor.
ResellerRatings.com has a comprehensive list of online retailers and any good/bad reviews they may have received. Now this is all based on other people's experience so take in mind that one bad review doesn't mean they are a bad seller.

I trust NewEgg.com, TigerDirect.com, ZipZoomFly.com and Xoxide.com. Any substantial problems I have had are very few and far between and were mostly due to my own impatience.

As for a processor: Get a retail boxed version only that comes complete with a heatsink and fan.

Make sure the processor matches the motherboard and they both match the memory. In terms of chipsets and in speeds. If you go for a nVidia chipset, get the nVidia graphics card and so on/so forth.

Capisce?
  • limbo
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • limbo

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well said... lol summarize what I was trying to say in only 4 paragraphs

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts