Buying a PC?

• CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Santa Barbara, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hello every1...

I am a big mac user (never had a PC) and have finally come to terms with the fact that i can't use 3ds studio max and other fine programs without a PC.

I just know how to use the programs but i dont have a clue about buying new computers let alone PC's so i need some help... i basicly need something that can handle the following things extremly quickly with fast real time rendering: note the ones in red are ones i dont have but am planning on learning in the future.

photoshop cs2
after effects 7.0
final cut pro hd - vegas 6.0 - or adobe premiere (haven't decided yet)
Image ready cs2
dreamweaver 8
flash 8
3ds studio max
maya
shake

High speed internet (a given, lol)
and it needs to hold a crapload of files created with each one of those programs.

so basicly i need the PC version of the Mac G5.
also i obviously don't have to worry about viruses that much cause im a mac (havent you seen the commercial lol)
so im wondering what software is best to have to keep me safe.

thanks,
nick

p.s: somebody told me alien ware or something was good for this stuff.
  • ablaye
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • ablaye

Post 3+ Months Ago

Get a dell, dude. You'll get more for your money.
  • CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks but i need specifics... and i dono why but i dont think im getting a dell. lol
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would say go build your self one from newegg. But sence you dont quite know your way around PC yet that isnt the greatest idea. First you need to figger out if you want an Intel or a AMD. Intel run a little cooler but AMD's give you more for the buck.

Im going to guess that you want a desktop. So know you have to give out some person information, how much do you plan on spending?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

for a desktop you cant go wrong by building your own, especially when you go into higher end machines like the one you require. don't buy a dell, and dont buy an alienware. dell owns that now and theyre very expensive. if you give us a price range, we would be able to help you out more as spoof said.
  • phunkya
  • Loc: Lincoln, NE USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

CE/ Pyrocy wrote:
thanks but i need specifics... and i dono why but i dont think im getting a dell. lol

Maybe cuz the sony batteries they use can burst into flames?
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

a case isnt too important, i guess it needs to have good airflow, a good amount of drive bays, both five and a quarter, and three and a half.

the motherboard is important. however you have to make a choice for us, intel or amd. theres never any clear winner in some things, but some people have preferences. i prefer amd, but my laptop is intel and i love it.

you'd need a very good graphics card, but you again have to make a decision. do you want a workstation graphics card, or a gaming card. chances are they'd both offer similar rendering performance, but you might get better results from a workstation card. however, if you plan on gaming, you will get better performance from a gaming card.

holding all your rendered files is gonna require a humongous hard drive, and maybe an external one as well and a dvd writer.

a decent stable power supply is needed as well as a poopload of ram.

giving a price range for us to work with would help
  • ArtificialDeath
  • Born
  • Born
  • ArtificialDeath

Post 3+ Months Ago

First off, I suggest a motherboard with a intel chipset (it doesn't have to be the best but i suggest one with PCI express), with AT LEAST a 3.0 GHz Processor. Next a power supply, the range of cost your looking around those is 30 bucks, I hoenstly don't get specific with those as long as they fit the machine. Next off, get a GeForce Videocard (6600 minimum I suggest). You should also get a DvD Burner disk drive thingy, along with a 200 gig HardDrive, at least. This is optional, but get a kick ass Lan card, for the steam playas. After such, I myself would be fine with the onboard sound, but if not, sound blaster card. After all this and that doo hicky, get at least 512 Megs of ram, AT LEAST! more would kick so much more butt.

Now onto the case. This really doesn't matter, but more fans, and if its larger, it will work easier. True fact: A Proccesor goes MUCH faster when colder. other than that, your all set. Just need speakers, mouse, keyboard, and maybe a 17" flat screen. thats up you.

If you need more specifics and such, or would like me to refer to a store, or need step-by-step instruction on to essemble the computer, PM me.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

This is what I would suggest for large rendering and video editing and the other things he says hes going to be doing.

Intel: Indel Zeon 5060 Dempsey 3.2GHz - $320
AMD: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 2.4GHz - $300

Im not sure what socket to get, so I let the pros answer that. I just usaly go for the stand 939. But maybe the AM2 is better for what your doing. Also they might suggest a different core.

Video: ATI 100-505143 FireGL V7350 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 - $1350
The card above is a work station card and can do alot. BUT I would not suggest getting a new computer. or just a nice video card tell vista comes out. The reason is that Direct X 10 will be coming.

For ram I would suggest 4gigs ($500). Just because of all the high end programs you are going to be running. I would suggest a 7400 RPM 320+ gigs (1 320gigs, $100) and maybe get 2 of them. Then I would suggest a 10,000 RPM for video editing (Alot of people tell me that video editing needs a fast drive). Dvd ($30)would be a good idea.

For the case I would spend around $100, make sure you have a top fan or air vent. Not horibly important but heat does rise. So for a machine I would build for what your doing to the extreme, Im looking at... $3000

This is just the machine, no monitors, keyboards, mouse, speakers or other such things.

I nice monitor is about $240. Keyboard and mouse can be from $15 to 150 it all depends on how many extra buttons you want.

As you can see PC are alot more "Power full" than Macs.... Not really true they just require more to do the same thing as a Mac :lol:
  • CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for all the feedback... i've been out of town so this was my first chance to get on.

so heres the answer to the 2 questions that every1 seemed to ask:
1.) Intel
2.) and around $2,500
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Alright, also is this just a workstation or will it be gaming as well?

BTW scrap that Xeon, I just remembed that is a server CPU. Im not sure if server Mobos are a good idea.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Here's a DELL that is great for what you want starting at $2,270:
http://www.dell.com/content/products/pr ... l=en&s=dhs

Here's an alienware starting at $1,899, but it will need a bit of a boost in the specs you set:
http://alienware.com/product_detail_pag ... LT#pdp-nav

If you choose to build a box instead of buying one of the above, make sure you get at least the following:

Intel Core Duo - The dual operating core's are much more efficient at video editing and graphics processing than any other CPU.

At least 2GB RAM, preferrably 4GB (as Mastermind said, "a poopload" :) ) - Don't skimp here. With all that high-end gfx processing software, you'll soak up all the available RAM in no time. Get something fast...like DDR2 800+ (PC2 7200)... http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6820146565

10,000 RPM HDD - Your system is only as fast as the slowest component. Don't go get a slow drive... get a fast one...like a Western Digital Raptor.

Graphic Card - Pick your poison here, ATI or nVidia and grab the top of the line card. Grab a PCIe card (or two and bridge them) for superior performance. Each company has their own name for it, so don't get caught up.

If this all seems like a lot to take in, go in to your local Fry's Electronics or some other decent size computer store (NOT BestBuy, CompUSA, or other similar stores). The tech guys will be able to help you out first hand to make sure everything you get works together and works for you.
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

1 stay away from anything dell
2 stay away from intel (ya i said it)
3 what you need is:
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ am2 chip set
2gb ram ddr2
300+ gb 7200 rpm hard drive
dvd/cd
psu(550+ watts)
128mb+ video card

4 dont cheap out on parts or you will pay for it in the end..
  • CE/ Pyrocy
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

whats wrong with intel?

and no im not much of a computer gamer... halo 2 though lol.
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member

Post 3+ Months Ago

Im going to guess cowkiller said that just because intels are slow.

Also I dont like them much easyer because there motherboards are messy lol. They alwasy have transisters right in the middle of the RAM DIMM's and right next to the Card slots and they stick up higher than the DIMM's so sometimes you can get ram or cards in because they hit the top.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

generally asus makes a well laid out board. Intel is a general preference and debating which one is better is left to the fan boys. until there is a humongous difference in performance between the two, there isn't a clear winner.
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cowkiller - Please don't post overly biased information. You aren't helping anybody at all.

SpooF - Do you have any references to Intel processors being slow? I doubt it. Additionally, we're not talking about an Intel mobo. I'd go for an Asus, Abit, or Gigabyte board.

AMD makes economy chips. They are all about the customer...which translates into the price.

Intel is all staying ahead of the game and putting out the fastest and most powerful stuff. Hence, Intel. Leap Ahead(TM).

I have both Intel-based systems and AMD based systems. There isn't a noticible difference when doing rudimentary stuff, but I DO see a difference when it comes to video rendering.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 17 posts