Cable internet and network: 2 NIC's

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: /usr/src/MI

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey, so here's my problem: my parents have DSL, i have cable. i just got cable and we had our computers networked to share the DSL, but now i have my own internet connection (which is by the way approximately 5x faster on avg. while downloading) and i still want to be able to be networked. so i put in another NIC and now Windows is having problems. I want to set it up so that my onboard lan connects to the internet through my cable modem and so that the plugNplay nic connects to the lan. how do i make this work? thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• allgoodpeople
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: here

Post 3+ Months Ago

i don't think you can. windows has no way of knowing which ethernet connection to route data down, whether it be a request going to your LAN, or a request going out to the internet. i found the same with my personal LAN. I had a wireless connection to the internet and a wired connection to my LAN, and it would not work.

what you could do is disable the LAN connection and run the internet connection, and when you need to access the LAN connection, disable the internet. this may require reboots each time you switch, however.

my suggestion would be to dump the DSL and simply set up a LAN sharing your cable connection. there's more than enough bandwidth to go around one family. besides, consider the money you would save if you and your parents split the cost of the connection. over the course of a year, it would put a good dent in some nice new networking equipment :D

allgoodpeople
  • SSH-Raj
  • Expert
  • Expert

Post 3+ Months Ago

it should work just fine. you just need to turn off Internet sharing on both pcs and assign your ip address's manually for your extra nics.
  • AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm.. that could work if we use the hub. because we have a hub and a router, we got the router to share the dsl because with the hub.. that was just hellacious.

and sharing the cable to save money would be a pretty good idea.. but its only $20 for the first 6 months so i'd only save $60 and i DO want to upgrade my lan / computers to Athlon 64's with gigabit lan and then some Cat 6 and a switch. BUT the switch is going to rail me in the ass and so is the Athlon's / mobo's / ram / etc. lol, so i'll see what i can do and post if i get it working.

• AnarchY SI
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

ALSO..

is there a program out there that will detect your NIC? because Windows detected the extra one as being the same thing as my onboard, but the extra one i put in is a D-Link.. and i guess i could just take it out and look but i'm a little lazy sometimes.. lol :lol:
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

It should be doable, and you should still be able to keep DHCP, just disable internet connectiion sharing.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm not going to have enough time to do any real research on this, but do some internet searching for Bridging. This is what you are looking to do.

This might get you started:
http://www.studiowhiz.com/forums/lofive ... t4956.html

This Google search might help: bridge 2 nics windows XP
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

But he isn't looking for bridging he is simply using one NIC to connect to the LAN and one to the WAN he dosen't want to share the WAN connection with the rest of the LAN. This is a very simple thing to do, especially with peer to peer networking.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

OK -- I see your point. I was reading it slightly wrong. You're correct. It should be simple enough. So basically, leave the one connected to WAN, set for automatic DHCP detection, and the LAN one set Static with the router as the default gateway with ICS disabled, correct?
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yea, you actually shouldn't have to disable DHCP on the one connected to the router. You also can't leave the DSL line connected to the router, actually you can but I am not quite sure how it would work out.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts