Cable Modem, overheating?

• Lizano
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Lizano
  • Loc: San Jose, Costa Rica

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've been having a problem, where my internet connection fails, I unplug the cabe modem for about 10 seconds from the power supply and plug it back in and it will connect. The thing is it's kind of annoying to have to do this every once in a while.Normally it wont happen for hours, and then it happens like once every 10 minutes. I've noticed that most of the time when this happens the cable modem is really hot.

Could the problem be overheating? How do you avoid modem overheating on a computer that spends and average of 12 hours a day on the net :s ? Or is it time to get a new one, it does have a couple of years....
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Can you ping the gateway and loopback when this happens?
  • Lizano
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Lizano

Post 3+ Months Ago

ping 127.0.0.1 comes back succesfull.

I'm gonna try an ipconfig/all next time it happens to see what I get for mask and gateway values.
  • pramitroy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • pramitroy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Then it may be "yes" (if the gateway returns nothing but 127.0.0.1 returns all back) that there is any problem with your modem and/or cable. You should try replacing the modem or try it another machine.
  • Lizano
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Lizano

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok Thanks, I'll try ping on the gateway when I get home.
  • think.correctly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: markham, ontario

Post 3+ Months Ago

are downloading things when this happens? i know mine conks out *only* when im bitorrenting. i even called time warner and they said yes, if you download or exceed bandwidth, we will shut you down.

all it takes to fix is a restart.
  • sandman6471
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • sandman6471
  • Loc: In My Dreams

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have the same problem, not very often. I had a Toshiba now I have a new Motorola Surfboard 5120. It did it with both Modems.

Unplugging the modem does help, but you also need to remove the coaxle cable from your modem. Rub your finger across the end of the cable where the wire comes out of the cable, then re-connect the coaxle.

I know this sounds stupid, but the coaxle builds up electricity in the line, by running your finger across it you are discharging the electricity. I guess it's like static electricity.

I'm not making this up people, was told to do this by my cable provider.(Go Figure)

Good Luck

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 7 posts