Calling From A Computer? Not VoIP... maybe

• TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

So I read up on making calls from a computer, and VoIP makes sense and all, but I was wondering if it was possible to use the computer to activate a phone line that made the call. Everything I search gives me information on VoIP. So can I use a computer to make a phone dial on its own phone line?!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• spork
  • Brewmaster
  • Silver Member
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

As long as you have a dial-up modem, there are plenty of different tools available for using your computer as a phone/answering machine/fax machine.
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I suppose it would help if I had a means to test it out. I'm getting an error saying the telephony device is already being used. Others who've reported the problem haven't had much luck dealing with it. Installing XP Pro on computers tomorrow. Hopefully that gets me able to fiddle with the modem.

I understand the modem is capable of a lot of things. My problem is finding something related to dialing in which I can transfer the computer's call to a hard line phone. My searches are swarmed with information on VoIP, which is not what I want. They won't be talking through the computer. They just want the computer to make the call to speed things up.
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't a huge amount about it as my partner deals with that side of things but we use VoIP for all our business and home calls, we have a dedicated computer which handles it all although it was previously on the computer we used for other things too.
Our call costs have been slashed by more than half.
We use mynetphone at the moment.

We use it though our regular phone handset and to dial out on the main line (not voip) we press 3 before dialing. otherwise the number dial goes out through the regular handset using VoIP..

hope that makes sense?
  • TsX
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Turned out to be easier than I thought. Got a line splitter. One line goes to the modem, the other goes to the phone. The telephony error was just preventing me from playing around, thus unable to see how simple the process was. Pretty much like old days, dial-up internet. Let the computer dial, pick up the phone, and hang-up the computer. *d'oh*
  • musik
  • Legend
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: up a tree

Post 3+ Months Ago

Oh I get you know, yeah we have that too. Happy to hear you worked it out anyway :D

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 6 posts