ASUS MB 478 chip
XP (Sp2)
1MB RAM
1 WD 9GB HD (C:) with 1 particion that holds the system files
1 WD 70 GB with 2 partitions (D:E:)
1 WD SATA Drive with a Promise Tech controller card
----------------------

Problem:

I had to format the SATA drive under XP because, since I do not have a floppy drive I can't I cannot format the drive using the WinXP boot Disk (when you press f6 it asks for a floppy boot disk.)

I was able to Ghost the SATA drive with the system files of my IDE C: Drive.

After restoring the Ghost file to the H: Drive (the SATA drive) I went into the BIOS and changed the Boot order of the drives.

Unfortunately, when I disconnect the C: drive from the system, (as I would like to only use the SATA drive), the system hangs.

I would like only to use the SATA drive to boot up WinXP, and my second IDE drive with 2 partitions to keep the applications.

I suspect the problem of booting from the H: Drive (SATA drive) has something to do with the Boot.ini file but have not been able to figure out what.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance...
Peter Bond
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: princeton, nj

Post 3+ Months Ago

remove the other ide drives, boot up from the xp cd having only the sata drive in the case, then choose "install windows", when it finds that it already has a windows os in it it will ask you if you want to repair it, choose recovery console (r) go to c:\ and type : "fixboot" and/or "fixmbr". when finished reboot having only the sata drive in it. if it works then insert the other ide drive and make sure your bios is configured to boot up from sata drive.
good luck/
  • mcquicker
  • Born
  • Born
  • mcquicker

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for the reply. There was simply no way to do it without a floppy so I cannibalized another PC and installed the blasted drive.

Now, after mounting the SATA drive, which I split in 3 partitions, I discovered that the boot.ini file is in drive the "program files" and the "windows" directory are in drive d:, while XP has named the second partition "c:" and placed the boot.ini and ntldr, etc in that drive.

That means I have two partitions that are necessary so the PC can boot. I have never heard of this before, and never happened with an IDE drive.

Can this be corrected somehow, so all the boot required files are in "drive c:" and therefore not confuse the issue even more?

Thanks in advance...

Peter
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: princeton, nj

Post 3+ Months Ago

if you want to boot up from the sata drive partition c: then you should have the windows folder in that partition, if it is in drive d: i guess moving it over to drive c would do it, also check the boot.ini and make sure it only points to c:, it's rather confusing what you want to do, especially if you ghosted the drive, also keep in mind that if you move the xp drive to another system it might not work because of the security settings that xp has built in it.
i believe also partition magic can join those 3 partitions into one, so all files and folders will be in one partition.
good luck.
  • ftl_speed
  • Born
  • Born
  • ftl_speed
  • Loc: detroit

Post 3+ Months Ago

mcquicker or david:

i have had a similar problem. i used partition magic to copy my c drive onto my new SATA drive when i rebooted i had the option to boot to either drives copy of windows. when i booted to the SATA drive copy no problems.

i took the ide drive out of the case rebooted and now i get to windows login screen and when i try to log in under my account or administrator it brings up the little configuring settings screen then says logging off and goes back to login window...

you mentioned somthing about xp security?

my windows xp disk will not run at all for some reason. it asks for boot then hangs. i'm so lost.

any sugestions?

thanks much

jester

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts