Can't format hard drive

  • Dabakers01
  • Born
  • Born
  • Dabakers01
  • Posts: 1

Post 3+ Months Ago

Please help. I'm having all sorts of problems with my computer. I did a virus scan and it quarantined 3 files. Since this, my computer is completely crapping out on me. I can surf the net all day long, until i try to go to log into anything. (example...i can put stuff into shopping carts but can't go to checkout) I'm not sure what's up. I have nothing really important on my computer so I was just going to format my hard drive and start all over but I can't do that either. I do the FDISK, then I startup with the startup disk, get my C: prompt and type in format, and it gives me a message ( I don't remember exactly what it says) but it says that I can't format drive c What do I do now???? I've thought of pitching it out the window...anyone with any other options?
Thanks a lot.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Posts: ?
  • Loc: Ozzuland
  • Status: Online

Post 3+ Months Ago

  • Carnix
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 1098

Post 3+ Months Ago

Two questions:

1. What files were quarentined?

2. What, exactly, was the error message?

Regardless of the answers to the two questions above, heres a way to do what you seem to be wanting to do:

Boot your system from the OS install disk instead of the HDD by altering the boot order in the system BIOS. Then make sure you run a clean reinstall by deleting any existing partitions. Make sure you DON'T select any option that mentiones upgrade, or fixings problems, or no deleting existing installations. You WANT the installer to reformat your drive and destroy everything.

Make sure you save backups of anything you want to keep, obvioulsy... but don't put any of those files back on your freshly re-built system until you've had a chance to install and fully update your virus protection software. Then make sure to scan those backup disks BEFORE moving any date to your HDD.

Hope this helps!

.c
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Posts: 1774
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Dabakers01 wrote:
I do the FDISK, then I startup with the startup disk, get my C: prompt and type in format, and it gives me a message ( I don't remember exactly what it says) but it says that I can't format drive c


The reason you are getting that message is you cannot format a drive that is currently in use.

Do what Carnix suggested, upon booting your PC, place your OS installatino CD in your CD drive and do a clean install, it will give you the option to format the drive before installing.
  • madking153
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • madking153
  • Posts: 193
  • Loc: Germany

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just formatted my HD- and i had the same problem . What I did :

Put WinXp CD in cd-rom .
Then go to BIOS and setting 1st booting device to CDROM - usually HD .
Then ur Com will boot from ur CD .
When u install WinXp , it will give u an option to format /delete partition the drives u want to install .....

then just follow the instruction ...
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Posts: 1774
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

madking153 wrote:
Then go to BIOS and setting 1st booting device to CDROM - usually HD .


This is incorrect.

The BIOS is normaly set-up in the following:

1st boot device - FDD
2nd boot device - CDROM
3rd boot device - HDD
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 303
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hmm, that weird, i just checked in my bios and the HDD is 2nd and CDROM is 3rd. You might just want to check that before you put in the XP CD to do a fresh install.

*plum*
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Posts: 1774
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most PC's I have come accross have it in the order I stated in my previous post.

The reason being it checks for a bootable diskette, no diskette is there a bootable CD, no, boot from HDD.

I beleive the HDD is supposed to be last so that if there is an error in the boot sector etc and you need to boot via the CD, it may/can get stuck at the HDD boot and not make it to the CDROM. Thats only what I have heard though, hasnt happened first hand to me.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • User avatar
  • Posts: 303
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh well, its dead simple to change the boot order in the bios.

*plum*
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy
  • Posts: 911

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigma wrote:
This is incorrect.

The BIOS is normaly set-up in the following:

1st boot device - FDD
2nd boot device - CDROM
3rd boot device - HDD


Actually, most of the newer generation computers dont even come with floppy drives anymore, they've become irrelevant. In fact, I never make it the first boot device, mainly because a lot of people have the tendency to leave a disk in the drive and the computer tries to boot off it and it wastes boot up time and sometimes leads to problems. Of course, to each his own, a boot sequence is just a boot sequence.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Posts: 1774
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

daremedy wrote:
Enigma wrote:
This is incorrect.

The BIOS is normaly set-up in the following:

1st boot device - FDD
2nd boot device - CDROM
3rd boot device - HDD


Actually, most of the newer generation computers dont even come with floppy drives anymore, they've become irrelevant. In fact, I never make it the first boot device, mainly because a lot of people have the tendency to leave a disk in the drive and the computer tries to boot off it and it wastes boot up time and sometimes leads to problems. Of course, to each his own, a boot sequence is just a boot sequence.


I was refering to the devices that madking153 had used in his example.

True alot of new PC now don't bother with the FDD because software is becoming too large for diskettes and with the arrival of high capacity flash devices there is no need, but alot of people still have them to make ERD's etc.

As for the leaving the diskette in the FDD all the time, if you don't learn to remove the diskette after the first few time then you deserve to have your PC taken away from you. :P
  • daremedy
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • daremedy
  • Posts: 911

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enigma wrote:
As for the leaving the diskette in the FDD all the time, if you don't learn to remove the diskette after the first few time then you deserve to have your PC taken away from you. :P


You'd be surprised how many people at my office call me to say that their computer is saying "Invalid operation system" or whatever, and I ask if there's a disk in the floppy, and surprise surprise.... problem solved! :roll: Not everyone understands computers, but its these little things that make us look like geniouses!
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Posts: 1774
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

daremedy wrote:
its these little things that make us look like geniouses!


This is so very true. I regularly get called up to "Fix the printer" only to walk to the printer and find its out of paper. Thing is, its the same people every time. You would have thought they would have learnt to check the paper trays before starting to get frustrated! :wink:

Post Information

  • Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 34 guests
  • You cannot post new topics in this forum
  • You cannot reply to topics in this forum
  • You cannot edit your posts in this forum
  • You cannot delete your posts in this forum
  • You cannot post attachments in this forum
 
cron
 

© 1998-2014. Ozzu® is a registered trademark of Unmelted, LLC.