Can a Mac G5 run Mac, Windows, and Linux?

• 5N4K3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've recently been checking out some of Apple's stuff, and am really impressed. I'm loving the Tiger OS and also their machines. >>Power Mac G5 Quad 2.5GHz
My goal is to run Mac, Windows, and Linux on it. Also seeing as how the Power Mac G5 is a powerhouse and highly upgradable I don't foresee needing another PC or upgrades for quite awhile.

Goal:
* Run MAC, Windows, and Linux seamlessly on it
* Take advantage of the 64bit supported CPUs when running Windows and Linux OS's that will use it.
* Run resource intensive programs and games on Windows (i.e HL2, Doom3, ect) (Windows will be running from an emulator .. unless there is another solution)

Chance of success:
* Not good - I don't think there is a Mac version of VMware. Virtual PC doesn't support Linux and Windows runs slowly I've read. Also I don't belive a Mac computer will dual boot into Windows.

I'm debating on buying this - Specifications:
(cyan text is what I've added or upgraded)
* 2.5GHz Quad-core PowerPC G5
* 4GB 533 DDR2 Non ECC SDRAM- 4x1GB
* 500GB Serial ATA - 7200rpm
* NVIDIA GeForce 6600 256MB SDRAM
* Apple Cinema Display (20" flat panel)
* 16x SuperDrive DL (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
* Apple Keyboard & Mighty Mouse - U.S English
* Mac OS X - U.S. English
* Accessory kit

Subtotal: $5,098.00 ~yikes!

My questions:
1. Is it possible to run all three operating systems?
2. With 64bit support for each OS?
3. Able to use resource intensive games / programs for Windows?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

no
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

there are specific versions of linux distros that run on macs. im guessing it's possible to be able to dual boot OSX and a linux distro. as far as windows you can only emulate it. ive never emulated it with a high end mac but on my mac mini it runs pretty crappy.but your talking about a G5 so im guessing in theory it should be able to emulate it pretty well but im skeptical whether it would be able to run high end games on it.
  • 5N4K3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Enjoi_Panda_Man wrote:
there are specific versions of linux distros that run on macs. im guessing it's possible to be able to dual boot OSX and a linux distro. as far as windows you can only emulate it. ive never emulated it with a high end mac but on my mac mini it runs pretty crappy.but your talking about a G5 so im guessing in theory it should be able to emulate it pretty well but im skeptical whether it would be able to run high end games on it.

Thanks Enjoi_Panda_Man :D
I'll have to research more into how well Windows runs while emulated. I think your right that it won't perform well enough to run high end games.
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Enjoi_Panda_Man
  • Loc: TX

Post 3+ Months Ago

by the way. i heard somewhere that on the intel macs they arent gonna prevent the ability to install windows on them to run natively :D hope thats true.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts