Cannot access my external Seagate 1TB harddrive

• Skywhile
  • Born
  • Born
  • Skywhile

Post 3+ Months Ago

It was working fine the day before yesterday, when all of a sudden I went to access it last night and it first began acting as if the driver was incorrectly installed. Then Seagate asked me if I wanted to format the drive and I firmly said no to such. After that I started looking up solutions and a site or two told me to go to Disk Management, but I got a I/O device error. The next step I was suggested was to do the chkdsk in msdos but the problem is I don't know what the letter of the drive was. I assumed it was F or something but to be safe I tried it on numbers all the way up to O and then gave up. I don't know what to do now. All of these steps were attempted again after getting the hard drive out of its casing and plugging it directly into the computer as an internal hard drive and it still persists. Help? :/
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

Need to test the hard drive and external case.

Swap the hard drives around and see if a 2nd drive works and if it does then the hard drive seams gone. If both disks fail then it is the external casing which needs to be replaced and the hard drive connected to the new one.

Need to narrow down the problem first. :)
  • gmulak
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Tustin, CA

Post 3+ Months Ago

What is the model of the Seagate drive? Is it a NAS (Network Attached Storage) drive? If so, it has it's own OS internal which also could be creating problems. And, if that is the case, could be formatted in some other file system.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts