Cannot get high resolution on Monitor.

• FUNNYFARM
  • Born
  • Born
  • FUNNYFARM
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am currently running a Pentium III 733mhz computer with the following specs: MSI MS-6315 v.1 motherboard (with 8MB on-board graphics), 128mb PC133 RAM, Seagate 12GB HDD, CT4810 soundcard, with Samtron SC-428VS 15in monitor. This system has been running fine on 800x600 resolution, but we have just bought a Palitdaytona GeForce 4 MX-440 64MB DDR 8x AGP video card, as some games would not display the graphics correctly using the on-board graphics.

Firstly, I cannot get the monitor to display 1024x768 pixels which, according the the monitor's specs, should be no problem. 800x600 display no problem, but many games require the higher res. Secondly, whilst everything seems to have installed OK (including the drivers etc), I just wanted to confirm that this video card is compatible with the motherboard. I was wondering if the 64MB DDR was OK, or should I have got SDR?
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Providing the monitor is capable of displaying 1024x768 (and pretty much anything new within the last 10 years can), I'm not sure why it's not displaying it.

Unless! Does your new graphics card have a TV Output? Is it enabled? You might have to disable it in order to allow higher resolutions on the monitor. I know with the ATI cards I've had (32Meg AGP Rage Fury Pro 120 VIVO, 64Meg AGP Radeon DDR VIVO, 64Meg PCI Radeon 7200) I've had to disable the TV output to get the high res on the PC, because TVs are limited in what they can display (both in the UK and in the US, the highest res I've gotten through the TV is 800x600).

If the TV output isn't the problem, I'd check the drivers. Forget the CD that came with the card, just go to the manufacturer's website, and download the latest version for your OS. Often they have fixes for things like motherboard incompatibility, etc. and there may be known issues between your motherboard and your graphics card, so check your motherboard manufacturer's website too and see if there may be a BIOS patch if you need it.
  • FUNNYFARM
  • Born
  • Born
  • FUNNYFARM
  • Loc: Australia

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi John,
Yes it does have TV out, but not sure how to check if it's disabled, or how to disable it.

Have recently loaded the all drivers from the manufacturer's website (am running Win98). Am still concerned about the DDR versus SDR compatibility with this motherboard. Could this have a bearing on the problem?
Deb
  • Axe
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: Sub-level 28

Post 3+ Months Ago

Usually, there's an "Advanced" button in the display properties... bring that up, extra graphics card options are often in there. Also, at least in Win2K, on advanced, tehre's a "Monitor" tab. I think it's there in Win98 too, there should be a setting something like...

"Hide modes that this monitor can not display" (it may simply think you've got a crappy monitor, heh).

But TV output is usually in those tabs in advanced too, so you might be able to disable it there. If it is already disabled (Btw, to check if it's enabled, just hook it up to a TV and see if you can get a picture :)), then unchecking the "Hide modes" thing will allow you to set your graphics card at any resolution it's capable of (according to what the driver says it can do), so you can bump it up, even if your monitor's say "no way". :)

And I really don't think the DDR on your graphics card is a problem. I'm running two DDR graphics cards, but my system just used regular PC133 SDRAM until I upgraded recently to DDR ram on the motherboard. I've used DDR graphics cards on everything from a K6-233, up to Athlon XP2400+, with half a dozen different motherboards.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts