Cannot ping localhost

• jtarman
  • Born
  • Born
  • jtarman

Post 3+ Months Ago

I hope someone can help me out with this since I am frazzled by it.

There are 4 computers in a small office. A, B, C and D. Computer A can see the other computers and B, C and D can see each other but they cannot see computer A. All computers are running Windows 2000 and are connected via a hub. There is no domain, but the workgoup is the same on all the computers. Computer A also stores all the imporatant AutoCAD drawings that B, C and D need access to on a daily basis. All of the computers can sruf the Internet via the DSL router.

When on Computer A, I can ping any IP address except for localhost. There is no software firewall installed that I know of, but it appears that someone installed AOL 9.0 on Computer A. Does anyone know if that has some type of built in firewall and thus, not allowing a ping to localhost as well as stopping the other computers from accessing the shared drives it needs?

If anyone knows the answer to this, please send an email to jtarman@mail15.com I would really appreciate any help in this matter.

Thanks
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think all you need to do is "share" your C:\ drive on computer A. Until at least one drive is shared, the other computers will not see that computer.
  • jtarman
  • Born
  • Born
  • jtarman

Post 3+ Months Ago

still doesn't explain why i cannot ping localhost on the computer that i am sitting at. all the drives are shared (all 7 of them).

I can map to Computer B since I can ping its IP address. Computer B cannot map to Computer A since I cannot ping computer A.

All of them can surf on the Internet so I know that tcp/ip is installed properly.

So basically, I can ping localhost on all the computers except for computer A. But I can map to all the other computers from computer A.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

so your network card is definitely working. sounds to me like your local
hosts file is messed up.

try pinging 127.0.0.1

what result do you get?
  • jtarman
  • Born
  • Born
  • jtarman

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, that is the IP for localhost, plus I have done that a ton of times. Same results.

I compared 2 systems and all settings were identical. (system services and apps) I even tried to do a repair install of Win2k and that did nothing. I don't suggest anyone doing that since all it does is waste time.

So, I took it upon myself to upgrade the freakin' system to Win XP and what do you, it fixed the problem.

I still have no clue what caused the problem in the first place and I would really like to know the answer. If any one has a friend that has ever come across this issue and figured out how to solve it without having to upgrade to XP, I would sure like to know.

Next up is to reinstall AutoCAD 2002 and other apps to make it all work flawless. (Flawless on Microsoft: LOL!)
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

From what I have found with win2k it either works well in a network or will take allot of work to get it to communicate with the rest of the network. XP has fixed allot of the bugs but now there are new bugs to deal with, anyways Enjoy :D
  • jtarman
  • Born
  • Born
  • jtarman

Post 3+ Months Ago

well, it was working fine for 2 years with all computers running win2k. then someone "didn't" do something the day i was gone and it stopped working.

all i know is that XP fixed the problem and that I am moving from Casper, WY from Denver, CO and it won't be my problem anymore.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

i figured you had tried that, but it was worth a shot. some don't know
that little fact :)

good luck with your future endeavors if this is not of any worry any more.
  • ModernDestroyer
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: California

Post 3+ Months Ago

jtarman wrote:
and it won't be my problem anymore.

The bad thing about that is somewhere down the line you might run in to the same problem, but anyways the upgrade would have been my solution too :twisted:
  • compdude
  • Born
  • Born
  • compdude

Post 3+ Months Ago

AOL used to add their own ip stack but they do not do that anymore - I believe 9 does have a built in firewall - which will keep other PCs from attaching. I have never had any luck running AOL on a business workstation. It seems to cause some problem - usually when you do not have any time for it. Try uninstalling it and see. Also you can look in net neighborhood/ tcpip/ advanced settings and see if any ip filtering has been enabled. ( also look for a different ip stack besides the MS standard install. you should also be able to \\127.0.0.1\c$ from start/run and open your c: drive - this will tell you if icmp is disabled or if you are not listening to anything on the loopback. Oh and last thing go to the cmd promp and do a `route print` and see if loopback is listed.

just some thing to try next time : )
  • Larra
  • Born
  • Born
  • Larra

Post 3+ Months Ago

jtarman wrote:
well, it was working fine for 2 years with all computers running win2k. then someone "didn't" do something the day i was gone and it stopped working.

all i know is that XP fixed the problem and that I am moving from Casper, WY from Denver, CO and it won't be my problem anymore.

No, I have a same huge problem and I have winXP.

My internet explore works but others (Mozzila, Netscape, etc) recognize no connection to internet. IE6 works but a half. I can not register in many website, (for example : eBay). I use Download Accerlerator, Flashget and many times they find no connection, too. ICQ lite, hotmail, etc ... , too.

I reinstalled winXP 2 times and it did not work. Can anyone show me what to do ?

Thanx.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Larra --
Just to let you know you aren't being ignored. I've thought about this, but can't think of a reason. I would have assumed after a reinstall of XP things would have been corrected. Hopefully someone will have some ideas. At the moment, I don't
  • cmstoner66
  • Born
  • Born
  • cmstoner66
  • Loc: Rochester, NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I know it has been a while since this subject has been addressed, but I am having an impossible time. I am running 2 XP Home Edition systems that are hard wired to a router, a main system, and a kids system. I also have a XP home wireless laptop connected. After a week of playing many games and following a lot of web advise, I have been able to get the laptop and kids computer to network. Each can see and access shared files. The laptop can even access a shared printer on the kids system. Unfortunately, I cannot access the main system from either computer. I can see it from "computers near me" but cannot access (access denied, not permission to use this network resource) from either computer. I also cannot ping the main computer from the other systems and cannot ping other systems from the main computer, although the shared internet connection works perfectly for all three. What is missing on the Main system? Down in the task bar on the two systems that work when I mouse over the LAN connection icon I see the connection name and the workgroup name in () next to it. This is not so with the main computer. I have run the automated "set up home network" so many times, buy nothing is working. How can I get this connected? Network connection properties for the main system show my workgroup, it is just not connecting.

I'm open for suggestions... please!

Chris (new at networking)
  • waggy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Did you say your local host ip is 127.0.0.1? the 127 or 01111111(1st octet range is reserved for loop back) thus you will never be able to ping or connect to a pc with this address. This will only loop back to the pc you perfom the ping command on.
class a ip address range : 0-126
class b ip address range : 128-191
class c ip address range : 192-223

See how the 127 range is not included in those 3 classes of ip's?

If this is the case change the first octet to say 128 on all your networked pc's and devices and this should solve the problem.

If this is not the case then there is a few easy steps to take.

1. Are your network ip's dynamic? ie the router dhcp assigns them. check all pc's network devices tcp/ip settings are configured appropriately to mach router settings i.e. set to get ip automatically.

2. type ipconfig into command prompt on all pc's to check they are all on the same network. ie 192.168.0.2,192.168.0.3,192.168.0.4 etc

3. have you created users with appropiate permissions on each pc?
Also you have to untick simple file sharing in folder options this can stop you connecting to a machine.

4. All pc's have the same workgroup name and a different pc name.

5. Check all media is working properly. most netwoking problems usually occur at the physical layer.

6. Check your security settings allow sharing accross a local network.

7. Check you have no firewall or antivirus software installed on a pc that my be affecting a network connection. Zone alarm is bad for this even if it is disabled you need to totally uninstall it.

8. Do not use the 127.x.x.x ip range this is reserved for loop back testing.

Need any more info than this just email me.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

waggy - this post was made on Posted: Sun Oct 19, 2003, and he already resolved it as you can see later in this thread. He never said he was using 127.0.0.0, he said he couldn't ping that address, although he could ping any other IP on the network.

Anyway, there really was no reason to bring this post back from the dead, but thanks for your effort and info. Someone else may definitely benefit from it.
  • waggy

Post 3+ Months Ago

Yeah I only just noticed that between the first post and the last post were quite a few months apart. Also the guy said "Well, that is the IP for localhost, plus I have done that a ton of times. Same results." So from that information I assumed that was the ip he had assigned that local machine.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts