Canonscan Problem

• 5aszdale
  • Born
  • Born
  • 5aszdale

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Canoncan LIDE30 scanner that doesn't want to work; keep getting message that switch is locked, and to unlock it. The switch is not locked, and when I go into Control Panel, it says device is working properly. Tried going to Canon's site, and downloaded latest drivers (which I had anyway). Still doesn't work; it worked flawlessly when I first installed it. Any suggestions?? (running Windows XP)
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a friend that had exactly that problem. He ended up buying a new scanner, but as I recall later figured out what the problem was. He's in a different time zone, so I'll need to wait until later today to ask him (so I don't wake him up). If no one has answered by the time I talk to him, I'll try to post the solution later this afternoon or early evening.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i have the same scanner, but never had any problems like this. The lock
is kinda stiff, so maybe you didn't fully unlock it. I would try to lock it and
re-unlock it to be sure.

I know that sounds so obvious, but you never know with these things.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

It will still be a couple hours before I can talk to my friend, but I did a little reading and have a couple things to suggest.

As best I can tell, this is connected via USB, correct? If so, while connected, go to hardware devices and delete/uninstall the scanner from device manager. Disconnect the scanner. Reboot. Make sure scanner is unlocked before plugging back in. Let it redetect the hardware and drivers.

This may solve it.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

gotta love the way 2000/xp handles preferrals, eh? :eek6:

always seems to work though, so I won't complain [too much ;)]
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just found out from my girfriend that he replaced the scanner, but still had probs and determined that is was a bad USB. Replaced the USB and new scanner worked fine. He should be awake now, so I'll call and double check.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just talked to him and confirmed it was a bad USB. (It wasn't the same scanner per se -- but same issue). When he replaced the scanner he was still having similar error messages reported, he replaced the USB and it was corrected. He's never retried the original scanner, but believes it was never the issue, and is probably still working just fine.

He's a service tech for a major high capacity drive Company a.k.a EMC and is probably the smartest guy I know. He also suggested that if you are using USB2 which is probably the case with XP, but not using USB2 certified cables, that may also be causing conflicts.

Bottom line, check into your USB.

Good luck.
  • The Apostle of God
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: SDSU, SD, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I worked at best buy for a while, and when USB2 cables started being sold, I had NEVER seen so many returned USB 1.1 cables. I'm guessing this is your problem :P **points** Listen to da man.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts