Case fans in wrong?

• EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

for every case i get i make sure i get about 4 to 6 case fans. i install them to blow air INTO the case. but some jerk-off :lol: told me i sould install the one in the back of the case, to blow air out. of corse i fought with him about this. ( but i really didnt know) have i been installing my fans wrong?[/i]
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

You should have at least one fan blowing out to provide something called air flow. It is a novel idea. Pull cool air in and then blow the hot air out.
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've always thought it's best to have an even amount of fans blowing in and blowing out. That way you don't create a vacuum inside your case and the result is better airflow. I like to pull air in the front bottom of the case and push it out the top back of the case as a general rule.
  • Bgnn32
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Bgnn32
  • Loc: Western Mass

Post 3+ Months Ago

you should have airflow through the case, you can blow in from the front and out the rear or the other way, but you should have air flowing through, if you have only 1 fan it should be blowing out.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

yeah sounds like a good idea. im gunna put fans in my comps to blow air out the back now thx.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

It is usually the correct thing to do when installing system fans to have at least 2 in and 2 out.

WC
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well... my psu has a fan. takes air out the back.
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

I used the case fans that came with my lian li case and to my dismay they just werent enough with all the components heating up in there, switched them out with 2 zalmans and 2 vantecs dropped case temp about 15 degrees and made everything run very smooth.

WC
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmmm well i have two in the front... maby i should switch them around instead of the one in the back?
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Just throw a Liebert AC unit in the computer room. No need for fans then!
  • nucleareskimo
  • nucleareskimo

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya, also one thing i know is try to get the airflow as even as possible, my old computer has and uneven airflow, i think its more pulling air out, this makes dust collect in all the cracks going into the computer, so basically all the gaps on the back such as where the mouse and keyboard plug in are all filled with dust.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I remember the 286 -> PPro days back when we had no heatsinks, or big cpu fans, or even case fans. The computers were sealed tight.

Not true anymore, its all about airflow. I saw seal the case off and build a mini air conditioner like a wine cooler. Keep it at an even 0°C with like 1% relative humidity. The entire case. Have one 120mm input, and one 120mm output with filters.

A friend of mine also suggested using an air purifier to help inhibit dust build-up in the room.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: Ohio

Post 3+ Months Ago

Heat rises (we all know that already but apply it to computer cases). Most newer cases are going to have an inlet space at the bottom of the front cover to let air in. A good case is going to have a front fan mount about where your hard drive sits in its bay so having a fan there blowing towards the back goes across the drive cooling it as well. From there I like a side panel fan blowing out and a fan on the back towards the top blowing out. You can't really count the PS fan as helping to cool the box IMO it has its own task keeping the supply cool. Add more fans as you see fit but getting air to flow in from the bottom and out from the top will go a long way towards cooling your box.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

There is also a problem of too much airflow. And more commonly tainted air.

Cool air that runs over something hot becomes hotter, once that device normalizes at a temperature close to ambient, only then will other components benefit from that particular aircharge.

Side fans are not good for a case, it causes too much turbulence (depending on the inside design of the case). In some cases you will see a performance drop in your cooling. I have seen certain cases where it has helped though.

Check out the V2100B by Lian-Li. That IMHO is the most advanced interior of a case. As jfvb1225 is correct the PSU has its own parts to cool, and isn't going to benefit in the cooling of the case without sacrificing the cooling of the PSU. They replace the PSU to the bottom of the case, and invert the motherboard. The processor is now closer south to a cooler aircharge (Aimed right at it). The hard drives get there own separate charge of air separated by a heatshield to the rest of the system.

Other nice case designs include the new Thermaltake Kandalf. The PSU is up at the top, however it is mounted on its side. The hard drives are placed right beside it.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'll stick by my guns when it comes to side panel fans in a well made case. I ran an Athlon XP box for two years that barely broke 100 F. no matter what. I could always immediately notice a 3 or 4 degree rise in temp simply by unplugging the side panel fan. Maintaining the temperature and humidity in the room where the machine is matters too.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

My systems run around 80F, mobo's stay around 75F. Currently it's 68F in my office.
  • jfvb1225
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Cool! Pun intended. Heat kills. I'm glad I don't have to pay your electric bill.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not too bad. I have a two central AC units. One for the upstairs and one for the downstairs. I just had a guy come and "tweak" them and the bill dropped significantly. I was paying $210 a month, but this past months bill came in at $183 but my gas bill was $8! :-D
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

Case fan placement is definitely an Arcane Art, lol. I generally use an equal number of in and out fans, preferrably with the same CFM total for in as out.
In my current case, I have 2 in fans at the bottom front that bring cool air in, 2 out fans at the top back that take the hot air out, and combination of fans to remove heat from the PSU, One side in fan in front of the PSU, and another out fan in the top of the case in front of the PSU.

Having more in fans than out means that the case will get slightly pressurized, and the air will have to find other exits and deposit dust in unexpected places. Having more out fans than in means the case will have a slight vacuum to it, resulting in lower air density, which means your heatsinks will have less air to transfer heat to.
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ahh! <_> So confusing! i think i get what you pplz are saying though....

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts