Catastrophic Network Failure

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay, so my idiot self decided to go blow $100 on a gigabit switch, new cable modem and a 200W ups for my networking equipment. Worked fine for 5 minutes than all hell broke loose and I ended up making a D-Link tech support guy cry, then I realized I'm a narrow minded ignoramus and it was my computer causing trouble.

To start heres the network setup as of now:
Cable Modem: D-Link DCM-202
Firewall/Router: D-Link DFL-200
Switch: D-Link DGS-1008D
WAP: D-Link DWL-2100AP

I change the modem, call comcast and they set everything up, hooked the switch and everything to the router and it worked just fine. I then decided to use BOTH my gigabit ethernet ports to the switch. I also tried to run a "second" uplink to the router which caused all the problems. All the sudden I got ip conflicts and the router went *plum*. I reset the router and disconnected the second uplink. Then all the sudden my computer wouldn't connect to anything, it got an IP from the router just it wouldn't connect to the router from the web browser, nor would it connect to the internet. So then I try setting the computer as a router and my other computers to look at mine as the router and still got no internet. Long story short, all was fine and I needed to re-config the router but I ended up having to bridge my ethernet connections to get them to talk to ANYTHING. Even disabling one or the other yielded timeouts. I knew winxp couldn't handle dual nics, but never knew it would go nuts like this.

So my question in all of this - WITFF happened?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

What you described should work just dandy. Each NIC would get a separate IP address, and traffic would flow across both links. XP has no load balancing between multiple conections, however, so I'm not sure how it decides what packets go to what NIC.

That being said I dont understand why you would want to do this in the first place. 2 gigabit connections means you have a hypothetical bandwith of 2gb from your computer to your switch. Sweet. But then you have a connection going from your gigabyte switch to you 100 Mbps router. So now you have a bottleneck of 100 Mbps. THEN you have a connection from your 100 Mbps router to your 5 Mbps cable connection. So you have a grand total bandwith of... 5 Mbps with 1.995 Gbs going to waste.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just thought since I had them why not use them, and my other computers on the network are all gigabit. So between computers its not wasted. But, without the bridge I have NO connection at all. Both nics will be connected with an IP but windows wouldnt put any traffic through ANY of them untill I bridged them. Even disabling one of them and only running one nic, I would have no connectivity to anything outside the computer.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah. If you have other computers on the network, then that makes sense. Hmm, I've got no idea why that didn't work though...
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Everything works just fine now. Figured what was wrong, had to delete both NIC's on XP, reboot, abnd then disable one of them. Then everything worked perfect.

Then, after that the network ran crappy slow - like 1/3 the speed as usual. Reset the firewall 2 - 3 times and all the sudden it works perfect. Which was weird because I had gotten Comcast Pro cable which runs at 10Mbit but I had a modem that only had a 5Mbit half-duplex lan port. So I changed it to one with a 100Mbit Full-Duplex lan port.

Now I just need to find cheaper custom cat6 cables. I wanted ones ranging from 6" to 10' with custom colors and labels on them. I only found one or two good places that had the ability to really customize the cables but at $7 a foot.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts