Changing Bios

• risingsun
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have an old Compaq Presario 3702, and i reformatted the hard drive. I then reinstalled windows 98, but now, it wont boot. I think its because of my bios because my bios doesn't see the hard drive. Either way, windows wont boot, and i know that it works. Could someone please help me.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I speant 6 hours trouble shooting this same problem last week including replacing the hard drive and a simple 30 second fix took care of it.

Make sure your computer is turned off and you ground yourself by touching an exterior metal part of the case. Pull out the CMOS battery from your motherboard (The small round flat lithium battery) for about 30 seconds. Replace it and power on your computer. You will probably get two options F1 to enter setup and F2 to set defaults. (It may vary a bit but should be similar). Accept the option to set defaults. That should put you back in business. At least it did for me.

Note - you will have to reset your clock time.
  • risingsun
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks but i tried this, and after i save and reboot, it goes through and I get that little flashing underscore, and thats the end, it will just keep on doing that.mabey its not my bios but if you have any more info could you please help
  • SecureITGroup
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

I am not sure how old the Presario 3702 is but the newer mobo’s you can update the bios. In reference to pulling out the battery sometimes it takes even longer to drain the juice out of the circuit's, and in other cases you can pull a jumper off the mobo. But if you can get to where the bios looks for a boot device then i see a big problem.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts