changing processors

• sparkey
  • sparkey
  • Loc: Calgary

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey guys a question for ya! I have a motherboard with a 478 pin socket in it. It originally had a p4 2.4 gig pentium processor with ht technology. Will a 1.7gig celeron processor work on that motherboard as long as its a 478 pin?
Thanks.
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

Do you have the model number of the motherboard? (Usually printed on it somewhere between the PCI slots)
  • Foxy
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: places..

Post 3+ Months Ago

why would you downgrade the cpu? usually in the manual for Motherboard they have a list of cpu's that will work.
  • sparkey
  • sparkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

The motherboards number is GA81G1000mk if that helps and in the manual its says it supports Pentium 4 (northwood, prescott, which means nothing to me! ) processor and pentum 4 processor with ht technology, (by the looks of it I answered my own question lol!) As for why I want to change it was the old processor had a few pins damaged and I want to put together a cpu for my daughter and had this celeron processor hanging around and thought I would try using that one.
Thanks for the help guys!
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

You could try it and see what happens. That CPU is only worth about $20 right now, so if you accidently let the magic smoke out it's not a huge deal.
  • sparkey
  • sparkey

Post 3+ Months Ago

I will give it a try! Hopefully no magic smoke! lol. Just wondering The processor that came out of it was an Intel P4 2.4C Ghz 512K L2 Cache 800FSB HT and if I do fry this 1.7 celeron, I may look on ebay for a 2.4. Is there anything special I have to watch out for or can i buy any 2.4 with ht and a 478 pin socket, or do I need to look out for any more specs.
Thanks guys, I have been searching the internet without much luck.
Also any Idea what the "C" behind the 2.4 stands for?
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

sparkey wrote:
The motherboards number is GA81G1000mk if that helps and in the manual its says it supports Pentium 4 (northwood, prescott, which means nothing to me! ) processor and pentum 4 processor with ht technology, (by the looks of it I answered my own question lol!) As for why I want to change it was the old processor had a few pins damaged and I want to put together a cpu for my daughter and had this celeron processor hanging around and thought I would try using that one.
Thanks for the help guys!

Northwood & Prescott are types of Intel CPU Core [ internal architecture ], in a similar fashion AMD name their cores, Clawhammer, Winchester, Barton etc.

As it is a socket 478 CPU, there should'nt be too much trouble.
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

sparkey wrote:
I will give it a try! Hopefully no magic smoke! lol. Just wondering The processor that came out of it was an Intel P4 2.4C Ghz 512K L2 Cache 800FSB HT and if I do fry this 1.7 celeron, I may look on ebay for a 2.4. Is there anything special I have to watch out for or can i buy any 2.4 with ht and a 478 pin socket, or do I need to look out for any more specs.
Thanks guys, I have been searching the internet without much luck.
Also any Idea what the "C" behind the 2.4 stands for?

The "C" is reffering to the CPU Class, P4's range from the P4a, to the P4f. They are just for noting subtle differences in the CPU, they don't really have more use than that.
  • grimshit
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Wiltshire, England

Post 3+ Months Ago

The P4C is the "Northwood" Core, it has a 20 stage pipeline and 512kb on L2 Cache. Its a good general use processor.

grimsh*t (can an admin exclude my name from the "plum" thing??)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts