P4 Chip Overheating?

• marlen
  • marlen

Post 3+ Months Ago

I recently built my first machine for some video editing work and am noticing some dramatic temperature spikes (mostly when booting up or when starting programs) from my Intel P4 chip. I tried contacting Intel support, but they weren't much help. Does anybody know why these spikes would be occurring and if there is damage being done to chip? Or how I can fix the problem?

SPECS: Intel P4 540J 3.2GH
Motherboard: ASUS P5AD2
Video Card: PNY Quadro FX Pro 128mb
Running Windows XP Pro

When the computer is not running any programs the temp is steady at 59-61 degrees Celsius, but when launching programs or loading at start up, the temp goes up to 89 degress Celsius and stays there for 5-10 seconds. My case temperature is steady at 29-35 degrees celsius. The CPU fan speed is steady at about 4000 RPM.

Any help would be appreciated...

Marlen
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned
  • Loc: Under Your Bed

Post 3+ Months Ago

its you CPU fan. it sux 4000RPM is not good for a P4.

Get the new Volcano 12
or the volcano 11. i've read a lot bout thoes fans. there really good.

well,... 4000RPM sux bad. i would really get a new fan if you dony plan on buyin a new CPU every few months
  • ScienceOfSpock
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Las Vegas

Post 3+ Months Ago

What kind of heatsink/fan are you running right now? RPM's, though sometimes an adequate indicator, don't tell you much about a fan. What matters with a fan are CFM.
Another factor is if you have any thermal compound between the heatsink and the CPU. If not, get some Arctic Silver, follow the instructions, and see if that doesn't help. Thermal Compound can lower CPU temperatures dramatically, but don't over do it. If the thermal compound isn't an issue, or doesn't reduce the temperature a lot, do as Elite said: Get a volcano 11 or 12.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

holey crap i just upgraded to a 3 ghz cpu from a 2.4 ghz and i get the same temps both with stock heatsinks but for cooling i have 2 120mm fans...so that could help and i have the ac running lol

i wouldn't turn on your pc until you can get some adequate cooling... the warning temp should be round 60 and shutoff at 70 unless you wan't to fry your cpu
  • BartAfterDark
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • BartAfterDark

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sounds really strange.
If I OC My 2.8ghz p4 to 3,2ghz it doesn't even get that hot.
  • marlen
  • marlen

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote="EliteHunter"]

Get the new Volcano 12
or the volcano 11. i've read a lot bout thoes fans. there really good.

[/quote]

Thanks. I'm thinking you're right - the fan may be the issue, but I looked at the Volcano 12 and it appears to be for AMD chips and I'm using Intel. Is there another choice you'd recommend?

Marlen
  • marlen
  • marlen

Post 3+ Months Ago

"ScienceOfSpock"What kind of heatsink/fan are you running right now? RPM's, though sometimes an adequate indicator, don't tell you much about a fan. What matters with a fan are CFM.
Another factor is if you have any thermal compound between the heatsink

Thanks for the tip on the Artic compound, I'll pick some of that up. As far as the heatsink goes - I'm not sure what I have. The heatsink came in the box of the P$ 540J 3..2 H FSB 800 Retail version. Don't know if that tells you any more, but would I be able to tell you a name if I took it out?

Thanks again for the help...
  • marlen
  • marlen

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote="Skirge"]holey crap i just upgraded to a 3 ghz cpu from a 2.4 ghz and i get the same temps both with stock heatsinks but for cooling i have 2 120mm fans...so that could help and i have the ac running lol

i wouldn't turn on your pc until you can get some adequate cooling... the warning temp should be round 60 and shutoff at 70 unless you wan't to fry your cpu[/quote]

Good advice and thanks for the warning temp info...hopefully a fan replacement will do the trick.

Marlen
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

Now the Volcano 11/12 Is made foor AMDs..but still are comaptibe with P4 CPUs ( sence you have a p4 then you have a Socket 478 CPU. so like i said get the fans i suggested. ;)
  • marlen
  • marlen

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote="EliteHunter"]Now the Volcano 11/12 Is made foor AMDs..but still are comaptibe with P4 CPUs ( sence you have a p4 then you have a Socket 478 CPU. so like i said get the fans i suggested. ;)[/quote]

EH - thanks for the follow up. I wish the people who work in some of the big box stores new half as much as some of the people who "lurk" in these forums. I took some of the advice I got here (picked up some Artic Silver) and went to a local Frys Electronics store to see what they had. I ended it up picking up a "Vortex TX" from Cooler Master. <p>

I slapped it in and it worked. My "resting temperature" went down some 20 degrees. It's now around 39-41 degrees celsius - and a heck of a lot quiter than the stock heatsink/fan that came from Intel.

I haven't put it thru some heavy processing as of yet, but for now it looks good. Thanks everyone for the help...
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

what exactly did you get? (just wanna know)
  • marlen
  • marlen

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote="EliteHunter"]what exactly did you get? (just wanna know)[/quote]

It was the Vortex TX from Cooler Master (RR-UMR-p9u1)
Socket: LGA775, 940/939
speed 1800-3200 RPM (controlled byPWM)
Rifle Bearing
Noise level 26-36 db(a)

You can check out the rest of the specs here:
http://www.sundialmicro.com/Cooler-Mast ... 7_426.html

The only bad thing about this unt is that you have to take the MB out to install the nuts underneath the board to keep the heatsink in place. Other than that it's good...
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

ooo looks like thats wata im gunna get for my bro! (: THX! :lol:
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

I use this one on my rig: http://www.giga-byte.com/Peripherals/Products/Products_GH-PCU22-VG.htm

WC
  • EliteHunter
  • Banned
  • Banned

Post 3+ Months Ago

HOLY CRAP! that thing is huge!!

Whats your CPU Load/ idle temp?
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Right now its at about 30/32 celcius, but I keep it cold in here.

WC

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 16 posts