Cisco 3524 Switch as DHCP

• Megallica
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Megallica
  • Loc: Scottsdale, AZ

Post 3+ Months Ago

Very simple question.
Does the 3524 have the option to turn the swich into DHCP? I am looking for a way to make a closed circuit "offline" network that can give out IP's for imaging purposes without actually being plugged into the network.

I already have a Cisco 2900 set up, but it does not have the DHCP feature either. My only other option would be to turn a laptop into DHCP and go that route, but I really dont wanna waste the laptop :D

Any other ideas if the 3524 thing wont work?

Thanks!!
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't know of any switches that have DHCP. You need a router.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

Switches can only be setup to pass DHCP requests by using the DHCP IP Helper Address. You will need a DHCP capable router like Don2007 suggested or use a server to handle DHCP.
  • Megallica
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Megallica

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hey Don & Grinch,
Some switches do in fact support DHCP, a lot of the newer cisco switches have that option included. It depends on the IOS Version. That being said, Is it possible to use an IOS from say the Catalyst 2800 for the 2900? Also, do you know how to find the current IOS version on a Switch? I found a cool program called IOS Hunter that will find and install the IOS Version of your choice... I just dont know if it will work for a different model. :/

Thanks for the help
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

The 6509 can act as a DHCP server.

Do a 'sh ver'

I just got that info from my Network Engineer. He also said you cannot use an IOS from a different switch. He said you need to go to Cisco and see what the upgrade path is for your particular version. You will need a Cisco login to download software from Cisco.
  • Megallica
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Megallica

Post 3+ Months Ago

According to my research, There is a DHCP capable IOS version available for my 2900. But I have to be a parter of cisco, not just a member of cisco.com... Know anywhere else I can get the IOS image?

My switch currently has IOS version 12.0(5)WC1 and I can upgrade to 12.0(5)WC17... But stupid cisco wont let me! ARGH!!! LOL
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

You are not going to get an IOS from any other source than Cisco and you have to have a SMARTnet account with them like we do. And no I will not download the IOS and give it to you.
  • Megallica
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Megallica

Post 3+ Months Ago

Aw, I would never have thought of asking you to do that... Okay, maybe I thought about it, but I wouldn't have asked! LOL

I will see if my networking dept. has an account. I was trying to keep them out of the loop as much as possible though, as I am already pulling a lot of strings and favors just for the permission to attempt this. :wink:

Thanks for all the help as usual Grinch!
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Make things easy & buy a router. You'll go crazy trying to make one of those switches work.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I love you both grinch and don, but I guess my first question would have been why do you need a switch to be a DHCP server from the getgo? I mean yeah, I understood you gave your reason, but I'm totally not understanding it.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Grinch & I never recommended a switch. One thing I've found in a lot of forums is that if I tell people to buy something, they get bent out of shape.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
I love you both grinch and don, but I guess my first question would have been why do you need a switch to be a DHCP server from the getgo? I mean yeah, I understood you gave your reason, but I'm totally not understanding it.

I stopped trying to figure out the reasoning for why people want to do the things they do. Personally I would have a server act as a DHCP server. If that wasn't possible for whatever reason then I would get a router. The last thing I want is a switch handing out IP addresses.
  • Megallica
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Megallica

Post 3+ Months Ago

There are a few reasons why I am trying to do this. I do not have an extra server or router lying around to use, but I do have the extra switch. I can easily use my current setup to image machines over the network, but in order to do that I have to clutter a walkway with cables which is a hazard. Plus it will make the imaging go faster if they do not have to pull the image off the network. Also, it's always fun to learn something new and be able to use equipment to your advantage regardless of its original purpose.

All the same, thanks for the help as always.
  • gabriel
  • Born
  • Born
  • gabriel

Post 3+ Months Ago

The best thing for DHCP server is to use external DHCP server (Windows/Linux) since You then have better controls, but between router & switch it is better to use switch since it has better processor and memmory capabilities and it works directly. This means that it doesn't have to forward dhcp request and send it back over the single line. Router (probably) uses some routing protocols which use lot of processor and memory, possibly NAT or VPN, etc. Do You see now, why is it better to use switch as a DHCP server instead of router?

Best regards

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 14 posts