Cisco 827 ADSL Router Web Management

• CowboyHacker
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: Waxahachie, TX, USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a Cisco Systems 827 ADSL router, and I am a newbie to Cisco products, so I do not know how to configure everything with the CLI using the Console port.

I would like to use the Web Management, but I get a connection error every time I try. The web interface will only make it even this far on only one of my computers.

Here is a screen shot: *REMOVED*
I get the error whether I connect through my switch or directly to the router. Work Offline is not enabled. The computer gets it's IP from my DHCP server. That computer does not have a firewall or antivirus.

I have been to the Cisco forums, but have received no reply after 10 days. I have also called Technical Support, but the router's warranty has expired, and I can not buy a new contract because I did not buy from Cisco or a distributor.

Does anyone know what might cause this error, or any way to resolve it?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

At first I was going to ask you if the default IP of the router is on the same subnet as your network but it looks like the router page is loading right before you get the error. What is the default IP? Are you sure that windows firewall isn't running?
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/ ... 18d1a.html
Take a look at that site. See if there is anything that might help.
  • CowboyHacker
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

The router's default IP was probably 10.10.10.1, but it asked me what to configure the IP as on Interface Ethernet 0, so I set it to 192.168.1.10 255.255.255.0.

Does Windows '98 have a built-in firewall? If not, then there is no firewall on that computer.

I read through most of the PDF version of that, but I can't find anything to help me setup the ADSL. I've clicked the Router Setup link on the web config page, and that shows, but I get the same error when I click Submit.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

What do you mean, probably 10.10.10.1? If that's what it was and you changed it to 192.168.1.10, then you have to either reboot your PC or release and renew the DHCP address that it gives to the PC. In other words, when you first connected everything and the router was handing out 10.10.10.xxx addresses and you changed that on the router, you have to follow the change on the PCs. There was no reason to change it in the first place. Set it back to the defaults and reboot the PCs. That should do it.
There is no firewall on 98 unless you put one there.
  • CowboyHacker
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm trying to keep my existing router running while I figure this one out, and all the rest of my network is 192.168.1.x 255.255.255.0. I said it was probably 10.10.10.1 because most Cisco devices use Class A addresses. I reset the router and went through the setup prompt on the Console, and it asked me to configure IP on Interface Ethernet 0. All of my computers except my servers get their IPs from my existing router through DHCP, and I do not want to turn DHCP on the Cisco 827 one because I do not know what two DHCP servers on the same LAN subnet would do.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I think that's why you're having problems. Remove the other router so the cisco can get a DHCP address from your ISP and can give out it's own DHCP addresses to the PCs. Of course, DHCP on the LAN is optional. You can always use static IPs.
  • CowboyHacker
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I can't. I need the web management to configure the ADSL interface to connect to my ISP. I do not know what commands I need to use to configure the ATM0 interface through the CLI interface.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

You still have the web interface no matter what. You just open the browser for that. It doesn't matter if you can get to your home page or any other site.
  • CowboyHacker
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I created this topic because the web interface will not load. I have connected this computer directly to the 827 Router but it still will not load.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, but the screen shot that you posted showed a loaded web interface page with a communication error on top of it. Either way the page is loading. I would try the following: Connect the PC to the router again and connect the WAN port of the router to the modem. Shutdown all three and restart the modem first, then the router, then the PC, in that order. If you still get that error, click on file in IE and make sure work offline is not checked and/or try using firefox. If your NIC is set to DHCP and it doesn't get an address, set the address to something on Cisco's default subnet.
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

CowboyHacker wrote:
I can't. I need the web management to configure the ADSL interface to connect to my ISP. I do not know what commands I need to use to configure the ATM0 interface through the CLI interface.

From the manual on how to set the ATM0 Interface

Cisco wrote:
interface atm0

pvc 1/40

encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer

dialer pool-member 1

interface dialer 0

ip address 200.200.100.1 255.255.255.0

encapsulation ppp

dialer pool 1

This is just an example, the IP and mask are probably not what you would use.

Here is how to check your config

Cisco wrote:
router(config-if)#show interface virtual-access 1

Virtual-Access1 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is Virtual Access interface

Interface is unnumbered. Using address of Dialer0 (2.2.2.1)

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 100000 Kbit, DLY 100000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation PPP, loopback not set

I would love to really help you on this but I have limited Cisco experience and absolutely no knowledge of ADSL.
  • CowboyHacker
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

Don, the modem is built into the router. It has Ethernet, Console, ADSL, and Power connections on the back. I am trying to use this router to replace my existing SpeedStream 4100 modem and Netgear WGR614v6 router due to reliability issues.

Grinch, I have dynamic IPs from AT&T, how do I set it to work with a dynamic IP?
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ok, let's start from the beginning. Since it's all in one, I would connect the incoming line to the device and then the PC to it. The old router can not be connected. The cisco router should should give the PC an IP address. Check that using netstat -an
If it doesn't give the PC an IP address then the only other thing is to set the NIC in the PC to a static IP on the same subnet as the cisco router.
You can't go any further until the PC has an IP on the correct subnet. It doesn't matter if you are using CLI or a GUI
  • CowboyHacker
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

My entire network is on the same subnet of 255.255.255.0.

I connected the phone line (with DSL filters) to the ADSL port on the router, and the computer to the Ethernet port. None of the lights for the ADSL interface lit up, but that interface isn't enabled. There was receiving and transmitting traffic on the router's Ethernet port up until the connection error appeared.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

255.255.255.0 That's not a subnet. That's a subnet mask. The internal Class C subnet has to match between the router and the PC in order for them to communicate. As we discussed before, it's probably either 10.xxx.xxx.xxx or 192.xxx.xxx.xxx
You have to be sure which one it is and then set the NIC in the PC to match if DHCP isn't enabled yet.
  • CowboyHacker
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

192.168.1.x, then.

Modem: 192.168.0.1
Netgear router: 192.168.1.1
Server 1: 192.168.1.5
Server 2: 192.168.1.7
GRAMPS: 192.168.1.2
AUSTIN-MOBILE: 192.168.1.3
Cisco Catalyst 1924: 192.168.1.50
Linksys WRT54G (WAP): 192.168.1.51
Cisco 827 router: 192.168.1.10
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I see 3 problems. First, you told me that the Cisco 827 was a modem/router combination. Now, I see a modem that is on a different subnet than everything else. That won't work AND the Netgear router has to go if the 827 is connected.
  • CowboyHacker
  • Novice
  • Novice

Post 3+ Months Ago

I got the Cisco 827 Router to replace the EXISTING modem AND router. Uptime is important to me, so I am not taking the existing modem/router out until I have a working replacement, yet I can't get the 827 to work because I get connection errors on the web based management. If the web based management would load, I'd disconnect my existing modem to setup the ADSL interface and let the 827 take over. I can not change the modem's IP, but it works with no problems. Every network computer can access it's web-based management, as well as my Netgear router's. The Netgear and 827 have different IPs, and do not have to go because the 827 is not a DHCP server and is not routing packets.
  • Don2007
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Don2007

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm paying attention but we seem to be going in circles at this point. IMO, there is no way that you can make it happen with all those things connected at the same time. Other than that, I have no more suggestions. Maybe someone else can take it from here. I hope you get it to work one way or the other. Good luck.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 19 posts