Cleaning Monitors

• PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I found that my monitor was dirty, and didn't know how or what to clean it with, due to the fact that it is an LCD screen.

Well I found my answer, and I thought I would let you know.

Quote:
Flat Panel LCDs

LCD monitors are often called flat panel monitors because they are flat and thin. These are the types of screens that are used in most laptop computers, and they are also becoming very popular for desktop computers. LCD screens are softer than CRT glass screens, so they require some extra tender loving care. Keep your fingers and sharp objects away from these screens since they are susceptible to damage and scratches.

Use a soft dry cotton cloth to remove fingerprints and smudges from the screen. If this does not completely remove the dirt and splotches, use a small amount of isopropyl alcohol on the cleaning cloth that has been dampened with water. (A small amount of vinegar can be substituted for the isopropyl alcohol.) Again, spray the liquid on the cloth and never directly onto the screen. Do not use paper towels on an LCD screen as they can scratch the screen. Never use ammonia, ammonia-based cleaners, or strong cleaners which can cause the surface to yellow and become brittle.
It is good to have a special clean cloth that is dedicated to use on the LCD screen. Don’t pick up any old rag, as dirt particles in the rag can scratch the surface of the screen. Special LCD cleaning cloths are available and can be an excellent investment.

The best cleaning method is to stroke the cloth across the display in one direction, moving from the top of the display to the bottom.

source: http://www.compukiss.com/sandyclassroom ... cle914.htm
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Not entirely sure of the formula that's in my bifocals cleaner solution, but it works too *smiles

//edit...I was wearing contacts in my 7 year old avatar pic, I'm wearing bifocals now. Hang on while I look up the Sears solution that works:

Well...the mix isn't there, but the solution works:

Sears Optical Eyeglass Cleaner

It's supposed to be for anti-reflective lense coatings, but works great on all my monitors.
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

Nice post. I've been using lens paper dampened with isopropyl alcohol. I suppose I should start using water as the instructions suggest although it may not matter with CRTs.
  • UNFLUX
  • Genius
  • Genius
  • Loc: twitter.com/unflux

Post 3+ Months Ago

i use a very lightly dampened washcloth, and I mean almost dry, to clean mine. I don't
care try anything else but water...i skurrrred! :shock:
  • JrzyCrim
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

ATNO/TW wrote:
Not entirely sure of the formula that's in my bifocals cleaner solution, but it works too *smiles

Well...the mix isn't there, but the solution works:

Sears Optical Eyeglass Cleaner

It's supposed to be for anti-reflective lense coatings, but works great on all my monitors.

:) I've used the solution for my CD/DVD lens cleaner on occassion. The ingredients aren't listed but it smells like isopropyl alcohol is part of the mix. I guess most solutions of this type contain that.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

It's the evaporation. Isopropyl evarporates quickly and leaves no residue. I guess that's the bottom-line point.
  • PluTunium
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Touring the USA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Well, I cleaned my monitor today, and I just sprayed some eyeglass cleaner that said it included isopropyl alcohol, than added a little water to a 100% cotton cloth and then whiped my lcd moniter, and BAM, it's clean. I was skuuuurrred to do it at first, but it ended up working out. YAY!
  • beings
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

on my CRT manual it says do not use Alcohol of any kind. It says use 10 parts water 1 part detergent (its not specific on what kind of detergent).
  • Truce
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Truce
  • Loc: Washington DC

Post 3+ Months Ago

I just use windex on all of my Flat Panel monitors at work and they are just fine. Busunesses always baby products. Does anybody else realize that?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 9 posts