Clicking sound from inside case

• n88tr
  • n88tr

Post 3+ Months Ago

When I power up my computer it has a loud clicking noise from inside the case [I fear it's my harddrive dying on me]. It does 5 or 6 clicks then stops. When I get to the windows desktop it does it again 2 or 3 times. After that it never happens, unless I reset or powerdown and then up again, then it happens.

A month or so ago I installed my new motherboard and CPU. It all went fine. At the BIOS I tried to install my SATA 150 Seagate Barracuda 250 gig drive. The BIOS didn't recogonize my SATA 150, so I just stuck with my booting drive, my Western Digital IDE 110 gig.

The clicking noise, as far as my knowledge extends, is probably from the IDE, whichi is going to die on me. I'm gonna back up all my data tonight on DVD-DLs, but I wonder why my harddrive would be dying on me. I've been using the drive since I put together my computer, about 1.5 years ago. I did a clean windows install about 4 months ago.

My question is, how do I get the BIOS to recogonize my SATA 150 as the primary drive, if it won't detect it at all [when I tried to add it as a secondary storage unit during my hardware upgrade]? I plan on backing up my data, and then removing the IDE drive and replacing it with the larger and faster SATA 150. Ideas?

Setup:

OS - Win 2k SP 4
CPU - AMD Athlon FX-57 [run @ 2.8 ghz]
Mobo - Asus AV8-E
Video - ATI Radeon 9800 Pro XT 256 mb
Video Drivers - ATI Radeon Series Catalyst 5.12
Soundcard - Audigy Soundblaster ZS 2
Memory - Corsair 1 gig PC 3200 [DDR 400]
PSU - 430 Watt Antec
Average Temp Running - 92' F
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

You will probably need a BIOS update. These can be found on your manufacturers website. Be careful when doing this though because if you get the wrong update it can damage and sometimes kill the BIOS.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Be careful when you open the case - you never know what you may find
http://www.snopes.com/photos/animals/pcsnake.asp

Humor aside, have you actually opened the case and got your ear down by it to try to determine the exact source of the clicking sound? If you haven't actually done that, I'd give it a shot. It could be something other than your hardrive causing the noise.
  • tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

Lol nice link.
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

*smiles the snake thing was posted at OZZU before, but the reason I suggest getting down and dirty and listening is because I had a problem server once and I thought it was a bad power supply fan and it turned out once I got close and listened it WAS the hardrive. Because of the age of the server we immediately updated the whole thing since it was critical for payroll. But I would have replaced the power supply if I hadn't gotten into the box and determined exactly where the problem sound was coming from.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts