CMOS Checksum Error

• Poseidon
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: manila. philippines.

Post 3+ Months Ago

my friend bought this ECS L7VMM2 motherboard (which has Phoenix BIOS i guess) about 10months ago.. along with his AMD AthlonXP 1700+ processor. the problem is that there are times that when he opens his PC this message always shows up beore entering Windows: CMOS Checksum Error. Defaults Loaded.

after that all the date and time of the PC is jammed and he always needs to fix it everytime he uses his PC. i assumed that he has to replace his battery but i'm not quite sure since its been only 10months.

is it really the battery or is there a more serious problem? what is the average lifetime of a mobo's battery? what should we do on his PC? :(
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

If you haven't pulled the battery,nor messed with the bios..then it's the battery.
You will always get that messg. if you have pulled the battery and re-installed it .Or if you have inadvertently knocked the time and date off.
  • lucassix
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

The avg lifespan of the battery should be...years. It is only used when the computer is unplugged. This, however, does sound like a battery problem.
  • Poseidon
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • Loc: manila. philippines.

Post 3+ Months Ago

so that means that my friend's battery should not be acting like that.. may i ask.. is it safe for him to remove the battery and put it back again? do you think it will solve the problem?

or is it ok if he will just ignore the message and just fix the date &time everytime he uses his PC? thnx!
  • MOC
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Ocean City , Maryland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Shure ,no problem removing it an re-installing back.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 5 posts