Compaq 6000 will not boot

• Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: McMinnville, OR

Post 3+ Months Ago

Okay...Just to head off all the jokes about Compaq let me just say that this is a machine that I am working on for a client, and not my personal box. :)

Here is the situation...

Computer will power up, and I am able to enter into the BIOS screens. I can make all of the adjustments that I like, and then save them and exit for re-boot.

The Compaq logo comes up and then the box will hang at a black screen with a cursor blinking in the upper left corner of the screen like it is waiting for the bootstrap to handshake and load the OS (XP Home) but will go no farther than that.

I am able to boot the maching with my UBCD and have ran the HDD, and RAM diagnosis programs, but if I attempt to boot up with anything other than UBCD we go nowhere. I have tried using the Windows CD, a Windows PE disc, and the BART PE disc that I have. The only brite spot in this whole thing is that I can use a Win 98 boot floppy and view the partitions within FDISK.

The data is still intact on the HDD, (verified by putting it into my Linux box and mounting the voulme).

Where should I look next? Does this sound like a software or hardware issue? I gotta admit...I'm stumped. :?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Philadelphia, PA

Post 3+ Months Ago

The only thing I can think of is that maybe the BIOS is cooked. Can you get something to boot that can reflash it?
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

That was my thought too...that the BIOS is cooked. The problem there is that this particular machine is using that wonderful F10 recovery partition that HP was so kind to subject the world to, so if I use a generic Phoenix flash then the silly thing will be in even worse shape than it is in right now.

I spent about 65 minutes in a chat session with a HP "technician" who ran me all the way around the troubleshooting steps that I had already done only to tell me that there is no flash for the BIOS that he can provide me with and to look at the website (which has a link for one that goes nowhere), or send in the box for service at their cervice center. If there was a program for fist-of-death-over-IP, I would have ran it right then.

If they would have simply read the first sentence of my question then we could have handeled it in about 2 minutes, so as it stands, I am looking for a "new" board with the Compaq tatoo in the ROM so that everything works for my customer.
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Uncle_Slappy wrote:
If there was a program for fist-of-death-over-IP, I would have ran it right then.

or bitch-slap-over-ip, IEEE Standard 313.37a
  • Wild Child
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Wild Child

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you tried clearing the cmos?? Setting it back to default settings may jump start it back to where it was. Check the ide cables, the system isnt communicating with the hard drive, hense the blinking cursor, I thnk they use the cable select jumper on the drives installed from factory, try setting it to primary/master or secondary/slave.

WC
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have cleared CMOS, changed jumpers on all drivers from CS to Master, verified that all connections are good at both end of the cables for the HDD, FDD, and CD-ROM, I have even gone so far as to change out all of the drives thinking that they may be the cause of the problem.

The worst thing about all of this is that I STILL haven't saved a ton of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. :)
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

:rofl:
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
:rofl:

I see so many broken machines that If I didn't have a sense of humor about it all I would probably curl up into a little ball in a corner and cry or something.

It simply amazes me how stupid some computer owners are...we have several "frequent fliers" in our shop, and most of the time it is for the same problems.

Oh well...it keeps us in business I suppose. :D
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a corporate job with all the benefits and perks. I do freelance computer repair by word-of-mouth on the side for extra money.

It's actually the other way around. I may spend 40+ hours a week at the office but NOTHING has made me more money than spyware cleaning.

I make more a week cleaning spyware off of computers than a pharma company can pay me.

On average I see about 15-20 systems a week, most are over $100.00 a pop to fix. You do the math.
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

That is about what we see here...unfortunately I am not the owner of the company.

Bummer...:)
  • GT500Shlby
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The load of computers became tough for a while. Then I finished my basement and made the perfect PC repair desks.

In the center of the basement I have a 25'x3'x50" table made of corian (toughest stuff on earth), the base of the table is a cutdown chrome metal rack with 3 shelves. I have 4 posts connecting to the table from the cieling with a monitor, PS2 mouse, PS2 Keyboard, Sound, Ethernet, and telephone wires running to it. On the side of the steps I have a table with 4 monitors, keyboards, mice, and sound.

I then have another table with an AT & ATX PSU, and hacked up motherboard panel connections (ripped from an old case).

All my CD's are also automated. I have every version fo windows from 95a to Server 2003 Enterprise Edition VLK (MSDN Volume License).

I also have all my tools on CD and USB hard drive as well as on the network.

I also have compressed air from a hacked up freon tank hooked to an air compressor.

I get some computers so dirty, that it will turn your stomach. I've pulled 6month old spagetti and meatballs from a floppy drive. I've had cases YELLOW from cigarette smoke. Absolutely vile.
  • Uncle_Slappy
  • Beginner
  • Beginner

Post 3+ Months Ago

GT500Shlby wrote:
I also have compressed air from a hacked up freon tank hooked to an air compressor.

I get some computers so dirty, that it will turn your stomach. I've pulled 6month old spagetti and meatballs from a floppy drive. I've had cases YELLOW from cigarette smoke. Absolutely vile.

We are setut to work on 7 machines at a time and they all get blown out before we start working on them.

We actually refused one machine because the buildup of kruft was so thick and cemented together with cigarette tar that it would have had to be scraped out with a trowel.

Now THAT was nasty. So I know how you feel. :lol:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts