Compaq Computer Trashed?

• DMarine
  • DMarine

Post 3+ Months Ago

Wow, I just found this site last night with google, its my kind of site! :)

Ok, my mom gave me an old APC UPS backup thing. So that way when we have a storm or something the comptuer would stay up. I decided I would plug in my comptuer to it and give it a go. Well, I plugged it in, and to my surprise the computer wouldnt turn on.

I plugged the computer in to the outlet, it still wouldnt turn on. So I found another outlet, and again...it didnt turn on. So I unplugged the power cord, and I noticed the small green LED started blinking every second or two. So I took a guess saying that something happened to the PSU.

I took it to Altex, which is a computer nerd store, and they took a look at it. They suspected the harddrive was dead. So my mom went out and got a 320gig Western Digital IDE harddrive. I tossed it in, still no go.

I told my mom that I thought the PSU was dead, so she went out matching my PSU with a new one (but different brand). I plugged that guy in, and the computer turned on. But, the Compaq screen just hung there for about 30 seconds before doing anything.

Since it was a new harddrive I was expecting a "No OS Detected" message, but it didnt say anything. It just sat there with a blinking underscore. So I put a burned copy of Windows XP in the drive. It started up like its suppose to. But, when it said "Windows is starting up...." it would hang for about 30 seconds then I would get a gay ass stop screen.

So, I rebooted and went to my bios settings and turned on "dignostics" or something so it would show like "Keyboard detected" and "Primary drive blah blah blah detected", stuff like that. I waited for the computer to boot. And it did say "Keyboard detected". then it sat there for a while (about 30 seconds...) and it said my harddrive was connected. But, it booted up to the blank screen with the blinking underscore.

I found a Dell recovery CD and put that in my drive, althought I have a Compaq... It booted up XP and said "Windows is starting....", and it started it! So I formatted the drive and waited for XP to install. After the long 40 minutes, the computer restarted and the Compaq screen came up again for about 30 seconds, then it switched to a stop screen.

So I have no idea what is going on anymore, and hopefully I didnt confuse anybody. Can someone please help? To me it seems like whenever the harddrive is trying to be access it gives a stop screen. Does this mean my harddrive controller is bad or something? Could it be a faulty bios all of a sudden?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• tomrulez
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: England!!

Post 3+ Months Ago

I had a problem like this and it turned out to be a faulty motherboard. You could try changing that.
  • DMarine
  • DMarine

Post 3+ Months Ago

Ah, ok. Thats what I was afraid of. Im going to buy a new "barebone kit" next week anyways. Its going to be a P4 3.60 Ghz, 512MB of Ram (holds up to 4 gigs, ill be upgrading :)), 4 PCI slots, 1 PCI Express, SATA support, and more stuff. The Compaq was an AMD 64bit equivlent to a 2Ghz. 512MB of Ram, and 3 PCI slots, 1 AGP slot.
  • Michelle
  • Born
  • Born
  • Michelle

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have a similar prob right now. I reinstalled my soundcard driver on my Compaq Athlon 64, it worked for a half hour. I couldn't get my mic to record though so I rebooted. When I rebooted, I couldn't open up any audio programs. The hourglass would show and then disappear, and no programs would actually show up. I tried to ctrl/alt/del and that too refused to show up. I couldn't reboot because it wouldn't give the logoff screen to choose reboot or shutdown.

So I had to force a reboot, and it then got stuck on the Compaq screen, where it's permanently stuck now.

I tried a few CDs and DVDs, and it appears to be reading them, but the screen never changes.

A friend suggested that it might be the power supply. Any other suggestions?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 4 posts