Complete system problem

• sensa25
  • Born
  • Born
  • sensa25
  • Loc: Minneapolis

Post 3+ Months Ago

for the past week my computer has been extremely slow. I have cleaned out the system with Spysweeper, Norton Anti Virus and Panda, there is no spyware, or viruses on my system, I have cable internet access yet it takes at least 45 seconds to log on and runs just as slow as connecting via modem. There is 84GB left on my hard drive and I defragged it today.
Every time I begin a new application like opening I tunes, control panel, internet, the fan jumps on and the program takes for ever to load and a long time to operate effectively.
could this be my processor is not working properly or is it something else internal?
  • TomK
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Loc: Ontario, Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would just format your hard drive and reinstall Windows. If that doesn't fix the problem you know it's a hardware problem. Sometimes it's best just to start over instead of trying to clean up a hopeless mess.
  • sensa25
  • Born
  • Born
  • sensa25

Post 3+ Months Ago

I reinstalled windows less than 2 months ago, I had caught aboot virus that destryed the files essential to loading windows and they were unrepairable.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

How much ram do you have ?

actually just give us ur full system specs
  • sensa25
  • Born
  • Born
  • sensa25

Post 3+ Months Ago

Pentium 4 1700MHz 1.69 GHz 512 MB of RAM
160 GB Seagate hard Drive
Windows XP
  • Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Have you checked for hard drive sector errors etc ?

I would also suggest you invest in another 512Mb RAM.
  • Skirge
  • Professor
  • Professor
  • Skirge
  • Loc: nashua nh

Post 3+ Months Ago

Your processor is kinda slow... 1.69 ghz....
If you have the money upgrade that and also get another 512 mb of ram if u can
  • al_ngl
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I don't think that your problem is in your hardware because I have a computer running on XP with 192mb of RAM, a 32gig hard drive, and a 700mhz processor. I say that you should reinstall windows and don't even bother with Norton... I had a computer with Norton on it a while back and came to the conclusion that it's not worth the trouble. I think that all the spyware cleaners and such are slowing your system. Hope you fix it :)
  • twmspro
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Indiana

Post 3+ Months Ago

I agree with al_ngl. Norton is a bad choice. I would recommend AVG Free edition. As far as spyware cleaners go you can not have too many spyware cleaners. A good way to avoid spyware is to use a alternative browser such as firefox or opera. It decreased my spyware amounts to about 12. I run my spyware about once every month. That and it is good to be careful about where you go on the internet. As for your system make sure all your drivers are installed. Video drivers can take a huge effect on your overall system performance. Good luck with your problem and hope you get it sorted out.
  • sensa25
  • Born
  • Born
  • sensa25

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thanks for all the info, I had a feeling the processor was a bit slow and should be upgraded but I did not think about the RAM which makes sense as well.
  • xfahmix
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Cork, Ireland

Post 3+ Months Ago

Another way is to check your CPU usage. sometimes, there are programs that run during startup that takes up your memory (CPU USAGE). Probably the easiest way for this is to REINSTALL back the whole OS

or

you can try remove one by one by opening task manager, look up for files that use high proportion of memory (e.g. antivirus/spyware monitor/ etc) , check them first at google (many Registry program out there) in case the files are spyware/malware or essential Windows application (such as explorer.exe) than you can identify which process belongs to which program than you can use the add remove program to uninstall the program.

Hope this help you in someway.
  • lemiwinks1
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • Loc: out of my mind:its dark and scary in there

Post 3+ Months Ago

twmspro wrote:
I would recommend AVG Free edition

i second that notion upgrade your ram clean your startup and find out what your cpu temp is if you can, the reason being is most thermal compounds disipate over time and if it disipates to much it will heat up your cpu and have all of the efects of an overloaded hard disk.

my mobo came with a temp monitoring app and most have a temp probe and almost all modern CPUs have one integrated. so chances are you can find an app somewhere. or you can buy a hardware monitor(a really good choice and well worth the price tag)

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 12 posts