compressed air or vacuum ?

• david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: princeton, nj

Post 3+ Months Ago

i always use an air can to clean the inside of pc's cases, but a few times the dust just gets blown around and ends up somewhere else inside the case cloging vital components, i am thinking of using a "small vacuum" to suck the dust instead of moving dust from ram1 to ram2, what do you guys think ? if it sounds like a good idea should i put the static strap somewhere on the vacuum in case the tip of the vacuum touches the mobo or another part ?
thanks.
  • champi0n
  • Graduate
  • Graduate

Post 3+ Months Ago

NOOOO VACUUM FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS ELECTRONICAL!

they make more static then dry humping in wool jump suits!

Use compressed air!
I use a 14 gallon air compressor @ 60psi to clean all my gear. (Make sure you dont hit the fan with that much pressure or you'll have a fan spinning at 500,000,000 rpm.)

Its all about the angles you blow the dust at, the more air you have (ie unlimited supply with an air compressor) the better job you can do and the better you can get at it.

You can get cheap airbrush/air nailer compressors for $50-80 im sure. Handy to have around anyways

but no vacuum!
  • david17
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: princeton, nj

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the advice, no vacuum then..
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient
  • Loc: Durianburg, Philippines. Spent time in South Pole

Post 3+ Months Ago

[quote="champi0n"]NOOOO VACUUM FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THINGS ELECTRONICAL![/quote]

Please elaborate champion...i cant see the rationale behind the difference of Vacumm and Compressed air emitting electrostatic feild...
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

Sucking dust into a vacuum causes it rubbed agenst the nosel of the vacuum. This charges it and and later expel a eletrical shock.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

is there any studies on this? or just a very obvius and observable fact....
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

No study that I know of but, rubbing insalators together transfers electrons and dust is very good at transfering them. Things like a plastic nosel vacuum is a bad idea. But a metal one shouldnt cause to much harm.
  • mikepl335
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mikepl335
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

david17 wrote:
i always use an air can to clean the inside of pc's cases, but a few times the dust just gets blown around and ends up somewhere else inside the case cloging vital components, i am thinking of using a "small vacuum" to suck the dust instead of moving dust from ram1 to ram2, what do you guys think ? if it sounds like a good idea should i put the static strap somewhere on the vacuum in case the tip of the vacuum touches the mobo or another part ?
thanks.

I used a vacuum. Nothing happened, I just unpluged my PC from electricity and delicately vacuumed the dust. Just got to be careful when you do it.
  • Thayk
  • Proficient
  • Proficient

Post 3+ Months Ago

mikepl335 wrote:
david17 wrote:
thanks.

I used a vacuum. Nothing happened, I just unpluged my PC from electricity and delicately vacuumed the dust. Just got to be careful when you do it.

If the static thing in a vacuum cleaner is really true, then i say using vacuum is a bad habit. Static may short circuit sensitive electonic components in a laptop. Even undischarge static ions in your bare hands may cuase damage to chips (eg RAM, CPU etc). it is neccesary to touch first on metals before putting your hand inside PCs.
  • mikepl335
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • mikepl335
  • Loc: NY

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thayk wrote:
mikepl335 wrote:
david17 wrote:
thanks.

If the static thing in a vacuum cleaner is really true, then i say using vacuum is a bad habit. Static may short circuit sensitive electonic components in a laptop. Even undischarge static ions in your bare hands may cuase damage to chips (eg RAM, CPU etc). it is neccesary to touch first on metals before putting your hand inside PCs.

Yes I knew that. It is true someway.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts