Compute Cuts Off During Some Games

• Seyeco
  • Seyeco

Post 3+ Months Ago

I have been able to play WoW at max settings (shadows, multi-sampling, particles, etc..), MW2 at max, spore at max, minecraft at max, and starcraft II at ...high... with 50-60 fps (monitor's highest setting) and no issues, but today I tried to play Age of Empires Online, and after an hour, my computer cut off and restarted. I changed some settings in the game and tried again and after 10 minutes, it reset once more. The third time, I set my cpu fan to manual-maximum ( thinking the intel safety functions were cutting it off at a certain heat ), and it cut off after 10 minutes again. The time intervals are a rough estimate, of course.

this problem only occurs on windows 7 (i havent used anything else for long enough time to recreate the outcome). CPU temp doesnt exceed 55C on anything i've done (heavy gaming). Case is open currently and has 2 fans and several ventilation openings all over it. Graphics card is hot to the touch, but I cant think of any way to cool it better....

My specs are :
Gigabyte GA-H55M-USB3 rev 2.0 bios-F11
Intel Core i5-655k 3.2gh (not overclocked currently)
( 2 physical cores, 4 virtual,
core 1 temp : roughly 26C
core 2 temp : roughly 32C
at idle )
Cooler Master Hyper N520 CPU Cooler
Diablotek PSDA600 DA Series 600W Power Supply
8gb (2x4gb at 1333)
Radeon HD 6950 2gb (flashed to 6970)

OS: Windows 7, Ubuntu Linux 10.10, OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.6
win7/unbuntu on HDD 1, OSX on HDD2.

One Final Thought: I've heard Wow and minecraft (the two games I use most) are CPU-dependent, and not so much GPU dependant. Could it be that Age of Empires Online is Graphic card-optimized, putting more stress on the GC and it's overheating causing the mobo to cut off?
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Seyeco
  • Seyeco

Post 3+ Months Ago

UPDATE:

problem still persists, but I have replicated the results twice while watching temperatures. card temperature never exceeds 68C; cpu core 1 stays around 30C and core 2 stays around 40C. I dont think it's an overheating issue.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Same place you left me.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi Seyeco,

Grab Driver Sweeper, a free program that will erase ALL files for which ever driver you uninstall. Use this to erase your ATI video card drivers. Once you have done that, restart your computer, it will take longer to boot than normal, don't worry tho, its just reinstalling base drivers. Then visit ATI's website and download the most current drivers(they have a tool that will detect your OS and cards and automatically download and install the correct ones). Reboot your computer one more time. Hop in-game and try it out. If you are still having issues let us know.

Driver Sweeper: LINK
  • Seyeco
  • Seyeco

Post 3+ Months Ago

thanks for the reply!

I am convinced now that it is a faulty PSU. My girlfriend brought a spare 550W over and i've had the game running for a few hours now with not even a hiccup. I'm planning to further test this theory by overclocking my CPU slightly, which would normally have the same 'cut-off' issue as the game has been giving me. I'll come back w/ the outcome tomorrow

Also...I'll definitely do the driver sweeper....that's a good idea either way :D
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

The PSU was my next suggestion ;). Hopefully that will get you all sorted out. FYI if you do need to replace your PSU, you will need a 500W+ PSU to handle the hardware with it overclocked.
  • Seyeco
  • Seyeco

Post 3+ Months Ago

ya, it serves me right for paying 40 dollars for a 600w. I should have known that I get what I pay for.
  • Poly
  • Guru
  • Guru

Post 3+ Months Ago

Most of the cheaper PSU's are rated much higher on wattage than they actually are. My brother and I at one point tested several under $50 PSU's claiming to be over 500W, not one of them was anywhere near what it was claimed. Even some of the higher end ones do not put out quite what they claim to, but are generally close. I ran your PC, and assuming 5 USB devices, through a calculator and it came out at 479W at peak, so 500W should cover it just fine. I would definitely suggest bumping it to 550 or 600W just to make sure its covered.
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

poly wrote:
Most of the cheaper PSU's are rated much higher on wattage than they actually are. My brother and I at one point tested several under $50 PSU's claiming to be over 500W, not one of them was anywhere near what it was claimed. Even some of the higher end ones do not put out quite what they claim to, but are generally close. I ran your PC, and assuming 5 USB devices, through a calculator and it came out at 479W at peak, so 500W should cover it just fine. I would definitely suggest bumping it to 550 or 600W just to make sure its covered.

personally it is hit and miss sometimes, i have had 500w that lasted 5+ years and worked perfectly. others have died but interesting thought i mite just check my PSU too as i have a custom build.

good post
  • Seyeco
  • Seyeco

Post 3+ Months Ago

it was absolutely the power supply. Previously I couldnt overclock my cpu nor could I put too much stress on the graphics card without the computer cutting off randomly at some point in the day, but now i've had it overclocked by 0.8+ ghz and had age of empires online running for several days now (on and off, obviously) without a single cut-off.

Is there a way to mark this as solved?
  • Zealous
  • Guru
  • Guru
  • Loc: Sydney

Post 3+ Months Ago

nope just leave it for future reference for others. archived like all the topics.

a tick system would be neat and make it a little more organized but that would be up to bigweb to decide. You could make a post about it and see what others think?

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 10 posts