Computer does not boot up

• A.H.
  • Born
  • Born
  • A.H.

Post 3+ Months Ago

Hi everybody,

Perhaps someone can help me with the following problem.

The configuration of my computer is as follows:

Award Modular Bios v6.00P6
Primary Master: hard disc (LRG,ATA100), no primary slave, Secondary Master (DVD,ATA33), Secondary Slave (CD-RW,PIO4)
Windows XP Service Pack 2

CMOS setup boot device order is 1st CD-Rom, 2nd HDD-0, 3rd LS120 (by the way, what’s that?)

The problem is that the computer does not boot up. It always gets stuck after the following three lines

Verifying DMI Pool Data ……….
Boot from ATAPI CD-Rom:
Boot from ATAPI CD-Rom:

When trying to boot from the Windows XP recovery CD-Rom the computer gets stuck after the same three lines plus line

Press any key to boot from CD-Rom .............
(or something like that, the CD-Rom isn’t in English)

Then the computer remains stuck even if pressing any key.

The computer ist bootable from a DOS system floppy but then it only recognizes drive A: and B:

Three days before I inserted a “USB 2.0 PCI Card 6 ports” into the computer and everything kept working fine. Since yesterday there’s the described problem and withdrawing once again the card didn’t solve the problem either. I think the card cannot be the problem. CMOS setup setting “Resources Controlled By” is set to “Auto (ESCD)”.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks very much.

Andreas
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• Tchuki
  • Mastermind
  • Mastermind
  • Tchuki
  • Loc: Edinburgh

Post 3+ Months Ago

A.H. wrote:
CMOS setup boot device order is 1st CD-Rom, 2nd HDD-0, 3rd LS120 (by the way, what’s that?)

Its probably your FDD. Most PCs boot sequence goes FDD, CD-ROM, HDD.

Remove your CMOS battery to reset your BIOS settings.

As it is, its trying to boot from your CD-ROM by the looks of it and although it has your HDD as a secondary, its not working.

Are all cable connected the correct way, all additional cards seated correctly and is your PSU powerful enough for all your components ?

Check those and get back to us.

Regards,
  • A.H.
  • Born
  • Born
  • A.H.

Post 3+ Months Ago

I’m quite sure all cables are connected well, signal as well as power supply cables. Power supply cables work correctly and most probably there’s no defect in signal cables (at least I cannot imagine that). Nevertheless I checked the cable connections - with still the same result.

I selected the BIOS setup option “Load Optimized Defaults” - with still the same result..

I removed and replaced once again the CMOS battery. Now the screen remains black and there’s a regular beep. Hell, have I lost the BIOS? :-((( How can I get back it once again?

The hardware configuration has not changed over the months, thus I guess the PSU cannot be the problem. The CD-Rom drive receives power (it revolves and makes noise) and the hard disk is supposed to receive power too (the floppy is on the same power line and it works well).

Perhaps the hard disk is defect and unusable, but why doesn’t the Windows XP recovery CD-Rom work either?

Andreas

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 3 posts