Computer Fans

• joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius
  • Loc: Florida

Post 3+ Months Ago

The first thing I want to know, is why are CPU fans designed to blow air down on to the heat sink ?
I just flipped my fan around so that it sucks air up off of the heat sink while watching my BIOS PC Health screen and not only did my fan RPMs go from ~4000 to ~4800, my CPU temp dropped ~10 degrees Celsius.

The second thing I want to know is, when is there going to be a cost effective version of the Dyson Air Multiplier fans that I can use in my PC ? I'm assuming that design is patented ?
  • SpooF
  • ٩๏̯͡๏۶
  • Bronze Member
  • Loc: Richland, WA

Post 3+ Months Ago

I've always mounted my fans to pull air accoss my heat sink. I can't remember how the manfucacture mounted fans for my last computer.
  • dyfrin
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: WI

Post 3+ Months Ago

I always thought why isn't there an ionic breeze case input?
It would trap the dust on the two or three bars.

I always go antec for fans, so quiet. Only the video card fan can be heard. When the bladeless finally comes that will be good. Liquid cooling unless you can have your radiator in another room or something isn't quiet.
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

I happened to be in Best Buy yesterday and saw some of the crazy fans out there these days. Some of the stuff looks like the big gnarly superchargers on old muscle cars with pipes coming up and all. :shock:
  • xxxlam
  • xxxlam

Post 3+ Months Ago

Speaking of computer fan... It's noisy in my case. (Still using pentium III chip)

:(
  • Baynton
  • Born
  • Born
  • Baynton

Post 3+ Months Ago

hi,

I think you should buy a higher quality fans which will keep your computer cool
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

Baynton, that really doesn't help with the fact that the exact same fan turned upside down as opposed to the way it's usually attached to a heat sink, performs better when it's put on upside down. Does it ?
  • joebert
  • Fart Bubbles
  • Genius

Post 3+ Months Ago

After roughly 2 months I seem to have at least a partial answer for the reason older style fans blow air down on to the heat sink instead of suck air up away from it.

In my case the sides of the heatsink seem to get covered with dust and cause the fan to work harder forcing more frequent cleaning than if the fan blows air down and the air goes out of the sides.

It seems a little easier to clean when it's the sides, rather than the top of the heatsink that needs to be cleaned. The fan itself barely had any dust on it.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 8 posts