hi ya all, i have just built myself a new computer spec as follows:

Pentium d 2.6 (805)
1gb (2x512mb) crucial ram
foxconn mtherboard
sata 80gb maxtor hard drive
dvd-rw
card-reader
Nvidia 5200 128mb graphics card

i put it all together as usual, started it up and it was fine, asked for an OS disk, i had to go out so i turned it off. When i came back home, turned it on and it started up fine, then it would show a screen NOT POST, then would restart itself, then do that several times more until displaying the foxconn logo then going through POST. any ideas as to why it keeps restarting itself? really bugging me now, im kinda desperate for it, so any help would be great, thankx alot folks. (I have checked the power supply already and tried different ones i klnow are working and it is fine!)

Kind regards,
Matt
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

This usually happens if one of your installed hardware is malfuctioning/malfunctioned. My opinion is to try to remove your video card and start you pc again. Then try removing the memory you installed one my one and see if that helps. Wait until someone with more knowledge replies
  • matt_999
  • matt_999
  • Loc: uk

Post 3+ Months Ago

thankyou for your help, i just did those checks. i think i have narrowed it down to being the motherboard! i have changed the memory, ram, dvd drive and power supply and no change. and also when it eventually loads up it identifies the processor correctly so i doubt it would be the cpu. and also when the computer restarts it always restarts when it gets to the foxconn splash screen where it saya press [tab] to view post and [del] to enter setup. so my conclusion is that i need to change the motherboard. anyone else agree?
  • sezerb
  • Beginner
  • Beginner
  • sezerb

Post 3+ Months Ago

You might want to check the running temp of the PC and make sure your power supply fan is working correctly. Over heating can cause a computer to keep re-starting
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 3+ Months Ago

does it finally boot up all the way? or does it keep restarting itself? also, if it does start up all the way. does it restart when windows is loaded?
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master
  • Loc: Canada "A"

Post 3+ Months Ago

i would say motherboard. it is the only thing you did not change or test.
  • Netmaster
  • Expert
  • Expert
  • Loc: Saint Joseph, MO

Post 3+ Months Ago

i dont believe its the motherboard. however, i guess it could be. the problem seems to be that its over heating. or there could be an issue with a driver or system file. some compaqs when you upgrade them from ME to XP will restart similar to the description matt_99 gave. i know its a custom built computer. but it could be linked up
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

Netmaster wrote:
i dont believe its the motherboard. however, i guess it could be. the problem seems to be that its over heating.

i dont think it is over heating. he says it only makes it to the POST. i dont think a processor with a cpu fan on it will over heat by the time it gets to POST
try a diffrent mobo and see what happens..
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

MY PC about a month go was overheating. It would run just fine until I did something CPU intensive or watch a movie and then it would reboot, allow me to login and then reboot as soon as I started any of the above. I could surf the net, check e-mail and whatever as long as it didn't tax the CPU. I just cleaned off the old thermal paste and reapplied and it has been fine ever since.

Since matt has switched out every other component besides the CPU and mobo it has to be one of those.
  • mann3r
  • Born
  • Born
  • mann3r

Post 3+ Months Ago

a short can cause this problem, say motherboard is shorted to the case plate or grounded. check also for those
  • ambora
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ambora
  • Loc: Canada

Post 3+ Months Ago

uhm. Normally if your computer was older I would say blaster32 virus but since thats not the case. Check to see if any of your hardware is touching eachother in anyway. My last computer wouldnt stop restarting on me and it was because for some reason my ram was touching....Don't ask me why but that was the problem lol :p
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

I would check all of the above mentioned things before i take the pc to a repair shop. Just go over these things once again to be sure its not something small and silly which you can fix yourself rather than having to spend a lot of time in a repair shop for alot of money

1)if you had installed a most recent hardware and soon after this started happing, remove that hardware and try again

2)remove your video card and then start your comp

3)remove the ram sticks one by one and then start your pc

4)remove all of your harddrives, floppy drives and cd/dvd drives and then start your pc

5)check if the processor fan is spinning, unplug it, clean it a little bit with a hair blow dryer and plug it back again, then start you pc again

6)check if the PSU(power supply) fan is working, if you can, unplug it and clean it with a hair blow dryer and then plug it back in, and start your pc again

7)try to plug in your pc in a different wall socket in a different room, and start your pc

8)if none of the above work i suggest you have an expert pc technician take a look at it, rather then going out yourself and buying a motherboard, and later finding out it was something else

And a note to "ambora" this can't be a virus or worm like blaster as his computer restarts before window even loads.
  • ambora
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ambora

Post 3+ Months Ago

Thank you lol That was a mistake on my part lmao
And a note to you sir :p that if he removes all of his drives and starts his computer another problem will arouse :O no primary master slave or secondary master or slave :P so ur computer wont even get to the windows loading screen but have an annoying abnormal hardware configuration beep :P

i wasnt being smart i was just making a joke..nothing against you
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

"Ambora" the point for the steps i provided is not to load windows, but to check if his system stays on, as he mentioned it keeps restarting before/right after the POST screen. I didn't mind what you posted, and i don't have anything against you either, i was just correcting you so you know exactly what we are dealing with. Although feedback/ideas are always appreciated.

P.S i am not a sir :roll:
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

unstopabl3 wrote:
P.S i am not a sir :roll:

lol thats hot! lol

but your right unstopabl3, need to find the broblem and one way is removing each part till you find the bad one
  • ambora
  • Novice
  • Novice
  • ambora

Post 3+ Months Ago

meh its all good :P and sorry would u like me to call you ma'am? :P
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'd rather be called unstopabl3.

P.S You liking my sig cowkiller :D
  • grinch2171
  • Genius
  • Loc: Martinsburg, WV

Post 3+ Months Ago

So are you an unstopabl3 female or one of those males who don't think they are old enough to be called sir?
  • UniquelyYoursPC
  • Web Master
  • Web Master

Post 3+ Months Ago

unstopabl3 i love it lol..

i hope your a female.. lol
  • unstopabl3
  • Graduate
  • Graduate
  • unstopabl3

Post 3+ Months Ago

Quote:
So are you an unstopabl3 female or one of those males who don't think they are old enough to be called sir?

Your good at reading people's ming grinchie, i am one of those bois who arn't old enouph to be called a sir

Quote:
unstopabl3 i love it lol..

i hope your a female.. lol

Sorry to break it to ya cowkiller i am a male just like ya, sorry to get your hopes up :twisted:

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 20 posts