my computer keeps shutting down randomly

• ister
  • ister

Post 3+ Months Ago

Every 5-10 min on my computer restarts it self im using xp pro its not the power supply or over heating very unsure about this issue
  • Anonymous
  • Bot
  • No Avatar
  • Loc: Ozzuland

Post 3+ Months Ago

• graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind
  • Loc: In the Great White North

Post 3+ Months Ago

I'm suddenly having the same issue with an old xp box. I'm assuming that its a short somewhere on the motherboard since heat expansion could cause that in theory (after 5 to 10 min). Did you try pulling out components that you don't need, ram, etc until you can get it stable?
  • ister
  • ister

Post 3+ Months Ago

I took everything out of the case (by this I mean its all in front of me thought it was over heating guess not)and running it with just a hard drive and ram when i run it with out the ram nothing happens didn't think you could do that could you explain what the heat expansion would mess it up
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

sorry I didn't mean completely without ram, but if you have multiple dims try taking out all but one stick. Like I said i'm trying to track down the same issue myself and since I can't narrow it down to a component I'm assuming that heat expansion or something is causing a short or loss of connection.
  • ister
  • ister

Post 3+ Months Ago

I already tried different ram still having the issue
  • ister
  • ister

Post 3+ Months Ago

i finally got a error message try this http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/usin ... may13.mspx
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

hmm that might help at least now I can find out if there's an error. Have you been using the computer on a daily basis? I only ask because this is a new problem for me after the computer sat for about 3 months without use and has a fresh install of xp.

I also had the idea to boot off the xp cd and just let it sit for a while. That should tell me if its a hardware issue or something with windows...
  • ister
  • ister

Post 3+ Months Ago

problem is fixed i deleted all programs that were unimportant and made a smaller paging virtual memory and its fine now thanks for your help i use this computer about every day my self let alone my family
  • graphixboy
  • Control + Z
  • Mastermind

Post 3+ Months Ago

glad you fixed it. Lets hope mine goes that well this evening.
  • netrider7880
  • Student
  • Student
  • netrider7880

Post 3+ Months Ago

oh thats nice u solved the problem.iam new to this forum.iam here to share my ideas that i experienced in my workplace and ready to help you at anytime my friend.thank you
  • ATNO/TW
  • Super Moderator
  • Super Moderator
  • Loc: Woodbridge VA

Post 3+ Months Ago

netrider7880 wrote:
oh thats nice u solved the problem.iam new to this forum.iam here to share my ideas that i experienced in my workplace and ready to help you at anytime my friend.thank you

Good and welcome, but would you mind sharing your experience and help in posts that are current instead of digging up old posts that are months or even years old? Thanks.

Post Information

• Total Posts in this topic: 11 posts